• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trevorjdaniel
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2005

DVI to SVideo

Hi,

Does anyone know of a solution to convert DVI to SVideo?

I have a customer who has a PC with DVI-out and wants to connect it to a plasma that only has SVideo...

Thanks

Trevor
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: DVI to SVideo

Originally posted by trevorjdaniel
    Does anyone know of a solution to convert DVI to SVideo?

I have a customer who has a PC with DVI-out and wants to connect it to a plasma that only has SVideo...
    HI Trevor,

Dont know of any DVI to S-Video converters, and I would imagine that if you find one it would be very expensive.

Does the Plasma not have a VGA input ? If so, you should be able to output VGA from the DVI socket using an adapter (unless it is purely digital DVI).

I would suggest that the cheapest option would be a new Video Card for the PC that has an S-Video output.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Slicker
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2004

Here is one I found..

Its designed for a mac tho so not sure if it will work

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

It seems very cheap so I would guess it is an adaptor rather than converter. (By cheap I dont mean nasty, just inexpensive!)

I suspect the MAC is already capable of PAL S-Video and Composite and that these are present on some of the pins of the DVI connector with this lead simply performing a change of physical presentation.

The X-Box changes the signals presented on some its connector pins in response to conditions on other pins so different leads give different signal outputs.

From the old MACs' that I used to work with, they all had Video outputs when it was almost unheard of on a PC so I suspect their chipsets are video ready.

I guess the only way to be sure it to buy one and see if it works on a PC

Be interesting to find out... you are hereby nominated as official AutomatedHome guinea pig

I would volunteer but dont have a graphic card with DVI outputs.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• katman
          • Jan 2004

Just noticed this bit....

Important:Requires Mac mini or Power Mac G5 with DVI port.

... so may not work on a PC as I suspected.

Need a guinea pig with a MacMini and a PC so they will still be able to use it. Step forward Mr McCall

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

I'd imagine (maybe wrongly) that DVI would be a "standard" so the converter for the Apple would work elsewhere too? My DVI LCD works on a Mac or a PC.

If you'd like to send me one I'll test for you

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Otto-Mate
              I'd imagine (maybe wrongly) that DVI would be a "standard" so the converter for the Apple would work elsewhere too? My DVI LCD works on a Mac or a PC.

If you'd like to send me one I'll test for you

M.
              DVI is a standard and as you say, your DVI monitor works with MAC or PC.

What I was trying to get across is that the "smarts" might be inside the MAC and that when the adapter cable is connected the MAC outputs a different type of signal through the physical DVI connector.

From the Apple store webpage....

"When connected to the DVI port of your Power Mac G5 or Mac mini and to the S-video or Composite connections of these video devices it automatically outputs the PAL video timing format. The Apple DVI to Video Adapter is designed to work with the DVI port on the Mac mini and Power Mac G5 systems only."

...which makes me think it wont work on a PC.

As I mentioned about the X-Box. It has a single output connector and depending on the type of cable you connect it changes the signals that appear on the pins. The cable then takes those signals and presents them on the appropriate type of connectors.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• wywywywy
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Dec 2005

I think what you need, is a DVI-I (not DVI-D) to VGA adaptor as supplied by most graphics card, then a VGA to S-Video adaptor, which you can find cheap on eBay.

Like this one:

Converting DVI analogue to S-video is easy like this, but to convert DVI digital I have no idea...

Comment

• katman
                  • Jan 2004

That doesnt convert anything !!!!

Its just an "Adapter Cable"

Read the description more closely.....

"It will work with VGA cards that has TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector."

That means the Graphics card already produces S-Video and Composite but delivers it via the VGA connector instead of Minidin and Phone. The cable merely changes the physical presentation NOT the electrical presentation.

Comment

• wywywywy
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Dec 2005

Okay sorry my mistake I thought every modern graphics card has S-video signal through VGA.

At least my Matrox Parhelia, G400, and Sapphire 9200 have...

Comment

Working...
                    X