Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade for Automated Members / Evohome - 25/3 > 28/3

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    Is this something that you would recommend everyone doing as routine or just the ones having problems?
    My MK3 evohome in the office is a 1512 date code and although I have never had battery issues, I do perform this every now and again and the batteries will last each time I take it off the stand. It is just the initial few charge cycles that are important for longevity IMO.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Sorry for my delay in responding but I thought I would respond here instead.

From my tests here the batteries are NI-MH and when brand new they need to develop 'memory' before they will function properly - irrespective of what is written online. I have found that the best way to do this is as follows:

Put evohome Controller on the ATF800 charge stand, make sure the stand is powered (not switched off) and then remove the evohome fascia and part the batteries in the middle while it is on the stand (the plastic leg on the lid of a BIC pen is great for this). The battery symbol will go to the battery with a X (cross) through it. At this point unpart the batteries and you will notice the battery symbol change to a battery symbol with a lightning bolt through it. Leave the device charge until the battery symbol disappears (may take 3-4 hours to do this). Then remove the evohome Controller from the stand and allow the batteries to discharge (can take up to 6 hours) and then when you get the screen where it says 'put me back on the stand' do this and charge the batteries again.

You will find if you repeat this once every couple of months the batteries will last just fine (4-6 hours easy).

You may also find the plug you push in the back of the ATF800 is not pushed in fully! When you push the plug into the stand it will go in with a 'click'! Make sure this happens or it won't power the ATF800 correctly which will mean the batteries will not charge!

I hope that helps.
    After carrying out the above I am happy to report all is well now and my batteries are lasting 4.5 hours after 2 discharge cycles.
    thanks to everyone for their help and input.

Quote Originally Posted by digital View Post
    After carrying out the above I am happy to report all is well now and my batteries are lasting 4.5 hours after 2 discharge cycles.
    thanks to everyone for their help and input.
    Excellent...

Automated Home Lurker

Only just seen the thread (new user) is this offer now finished or is there any chance of still being able to take up the offer?

Nick
    Last edited by DrG; 20th April 2016 at 11:48 AM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Sorry for my delay in responding but I thought I would respond here instead.

From my tests here the batteries are NI-MH and when brand new they need to develop 'memory' before they will function properly - irrespective of what is written online. I have found that the best way to do this is as follows:

Put evohome Controller on the ATF800 charge stand, make sure the stand is powered (not switched off) and then remove the evohome fascia and part the batteries in the middle while it is on the stand (the plastic leg on the lid of a BIC pen is great for this). The battery symbol will go to the battery with a X (cross) through it. At this point unpart the batteries and you will notice the battery symbol change to a battery symbol with a lightning bolt through it. Leave the device charge until the battery symbol disappears (may take 3-4 hours to do this). Then remove the evohome Controller from the stand and allow the batteries to discharge (can take up to 6 hours) and then when you get the screen where it says 'put me back on the stand' do this and charge the batteries again.

You will find if you repeat this once every couple of months the batteries will last just fine (4-6 hours easy).

You may also find the plug you push in the back of the ATF800 is not pushed in fully! When you push the plug into the stand it will go in with a 'click'! Make sure this happens or it won't power the ATF800 correctly which will mean the batteries will not charge!

I hope that helps.
    I think I may have just had this "non-charging" battery issue myself.

I have had the controller off the wall mount today testing and binding a new DT92E, normally it is always left on the wall mount.

When I had finished I noticed that the battery was about "half full" on the indicator, (it had been off the mount for some time) however when I put it back on the wall mount I noticed that the battery symbol went away completely - which normally only happens if the battery is 100% charged. If the battery is not fully charged it normally changes to a battery symbol with a lightning bolt through it when replaced on the wall mount.

Although it may have only been a glitch in the display of the icon, I suspect my battery was not charging...

I remembered the suggestions you made here and tried them, but they didn't work. Parting the batteries while powered on did not display a battery with a cross through it, only the time. Also when I allowed the batteries to reconnect it still stayed with only the time and no battery charging symbol.

What finally did work for me was to shut the unit down completely - removing both battery and external power, then applying only mains power to let it boot up, after booting up I inserted the second battery and now I have the proper battery charging symbol, and the charging symbol returns each time I put it back on the dock, while the battery is not yet fully charged.

If I shut the unit down and then started it up on battery power then applied external power after it booted it did not show a charging symbol. I had to boot up with only external power and then add the battery after booting.

At no point did I ever see battery with a cross symbol through it appear - even now if I part the batteries I don't see such a symbol.

Just though I would pass this technique on for anyone who might be having trouble getting their battery to charge, as it appears there is a bug in the charging logic of the unit that can cause it to believe the battery does not need charging when it does.

First time it has happened to me in 6 months use though.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 30th April 2016 at 01:56 PM.

Automated Home Legend

I inserted the batteries and put the controller on to its wall mount. Last Thursday, we had a 7 hour power cut. Apart from the annoying beep, the controller battery display showed very little charge drop and EvoTouch just continued to do its thing.

Automated Home Legend

Until yesterday I have had no issues with my control panel. It is the newer wifi model. However, I took it off the wall mount to make an adjustment to my custom menu and within a few seconds it flashed that I needed to put it back for the batteries were low. Not really possible when it has been in the mount and shown as fully charged. When I put it back it went back to showing fully charged. I took it off the mount again and could not replicate the problem. I can only assume the batteries are not a good fit. These are the original manufacturer's supplied batteries. I suppose I need to inspect how good the contacts are.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm glad some other people are reporting the same issues I had in the beginning with the battery charging. There's clearly a design fault with something. I never take my unit off the wall mount so would never know about further issues going forwards.

Automated Home Jr Member

OK so it seems some issues exist. My new controller like many others has been connected from upgrade. Let's all try to help here.

What can people suggest?

Cheers

Gl3n

Quote Originally Posted by gl3n View Post
    OK so it seems some issues exist. My new controller like many others has been connected from upgrade. Let's all try to help here.

What can people suggest?

Cheers

Gl3n
    As I have already suggested and from the 300+ evohome Controller prebinds I have done this works every time where the batteries don't last long - http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ll=1#post26977