• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Securitybyte
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2016

Thanks for the setup videos Richard

On the last HR92 I just added, (new zone, single radiator) I didn't see the Sync message appear. It displayed on all the other zones.

It seems to be working fine, and passes the RF check.. Maybe I just missed it. Should I clear and re-bind out of paranoia, or should it be ok?

Cheers

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Thanks for the videos. What's with the five minute thing when binding? I've never done that before when messing around with my system. What happens if you don't wait five minutes?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
        Site Sponsor
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
        Thanks for the videos. What's with the five minute thing when binding? I've never done that before when messing around with my system. What happens if you don't wait five minutes?
        AFAIK, the two devices are still pairing after the 'success/green tick' appears and many people press the 'green tick' too quickly and crash the binding. Honeywell recommend this and I have used this method successfully for all my evohome installations without any issues.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Will anyone who has the new control panel with older HR80 trv controllers confirm if the panel shows the manual overrides? I know the firmware mentioned the HR92 being able to do this.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
            AFAIK, the two devices are still pairing after the 'success/green tick' appears and many people press the 'green tick' too quickly and crash the binding. Honeywell recommend this and I have used this method successfully for all my evohome installations without any issues.
            Thanks Richard - interesting. I think it'll be pretty obvious if the binding fails, so I think I might try doing all of my bindings without the wait, just to see whether there are any problems. Otherwise, that's going to be a LOT of five minutes here!

Comment

• roydonaldson
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2013

Yeah, I've heard this before also. I tend to take it slow when doing the binding, leaving it a minute or so after the Tick box comes up. To be honest, it should say, Device Found, Binding, Bound and then put the tick box up once it's fully bound.

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Replacing the controller was less of a problem than I thought thanks to some key pointers in Richard's excellent videos. I was little surprised to find that when I turned on the new controller - after re-setting the old controller and removing the batteries - that all the zones and schedules appeared on the new device without me doing anything!! For my peace of mind, I then did a full system re-build with manuals and videos to hand.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                  Site Sponsor
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                  To be honest, it should say, Device Found, Binding, Bound and then put the tick box up once it's fully bound.
                  This would be good...

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                    Site Sponsor
                    • Dec 2014

Thanks Richard - interesting. I think it'll be pretty obvious if the binding fails, so I think I might try doing all of my bindings without the wait, just to see whether there are any problems. Otherwise, that's going to be a LOT of five minutes here!
                    I did my Mum-In-Laws house with 9x HR92's and 1x DTS92E/BDR91 in under 2 hours doing it correctly (and doing the video). You just need to bind the first one then leave it, while clearing the bind memory etc on the second HR92 that way the process is efficient. I was only doing that way for the purpose of the video, normally I would be doing it as efficiently as I can, whilst sticking to the 'rules'.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

I suspect that in the vast majority of cases binding in instant, but that there may be odd cases where RF collisions delay the process. I suspect the 5 minute thing is a way of guaranteeing that that remote possibility is avoided.

I think I'd be able to detect from the system behaviour if a binding had failed, and would simply re-do that particular one.

(I'm such a rebel!)

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

I suspect that in the vast majority of cases binding in instant, but that there may be odd cases where RF collisions delay the process. I suspect the 5 minute thing is a way of guaranteeing that that remote possibility is avoided.

I think I'd be able to detect from the system behaviour if a binding had failed, and would simply re-do that particular one.

(I'm such a rebel!)
                        I've also not noticed any problems not waiting additional time after both ends claim binding has succeeded. If it really is necessary sometimes that sounds like a bug to me... the user interface should not say binding is complete if it is not complete.

Personally I find the binding process quite simple and straight forward - and as long as you clear previous bindings properly at both ends before rebinding, I have not had any issues. It's easy to forget to unbind an HR92 at it's end after unbinding it at the controller end, or forget to do a full 15 second press on a BDR91 to clear any previous bindings for example.

As some devices support multiple bindings, but should not be configured as such when used with the Evohome (as far as I can see) failing to clear old bindings at both ends before rebinding can certainly cause issues and strange behaviour.
                        Last edited by DBMandrake; 31 March 2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                          Site Sponsor
                          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                          Replacing the controller was less of a problem than I thought thanks to some key pointers in Richard's excellent videos. I was little surprised to find that when I turned on the new controller - after re-setting the old controller and removing the batteries - that all the zones and schedules appeared on the new device without me doing anything!! For my peace of mind, I then did a full system re-build with manuals and videos to hand.
                          Very weird! But really glad you did this and if the videos have helped everyone that's great. I tried to keep it as simple and as real as possible (I have promised to upgrade Mum's evohome for a while).

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                            Site Sponsor
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                            I've also not noticed any problems not waiting additional time after both ends claim binding has succeeded. If it really is necessary sometimes that sounds like a bug to me... the user interface should not say binding is complete if it is not complete.

Personally I find the binding process quite simple and straight forward - and as long as you clear previous bindings properly at both ends before rebinding, I have not had any issues. It's easy to forget to unbind an HR92 at it's end after unbinding it at the controller end, or forget to do a full 15 second press on a BDR91 to clear any previous bindings for example.

As some devices support multiple bindings, but should not be configured as such when used with the Evohome (as far as I can see) failing to clear old bindings at both ends before rebinding can certainly cause issues and strange behaviour.
                            I have experienced many problems with many people on many occasions where they have pressed the green tick too quickly (this is the difference between perspectives on things). You and Paul would both would be recommending my way if you have had the amount of phone calls I have had over the past 2 years because of this lol.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                              Site Sponsor
                              • Dec 2014

(I'm such a rebel!)
                              The main problem with anything is how do you know 100% the binding has been successful? I cannot be sure what I am saying to you guys is correct, but I know it does work (when rushing the binding normally fails).

There is lots even I do not know about the evohome system and I have to have 'blind faith' in what I am told by the top brass technical guys at Honeywell, as some things are just 'confidential' and you have to appreciate that the information will not be disclosed to anyone outside of Honeywell.

Comment

• paulockenden
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Apr 2015

Maybe I'm alone in finding all this "it just works if you do this" very dissatisfying, from a nerd/engineer point of view.

There's no reason for a (well designed) RF handshake to take 5 minutes. There's no reason for (well designed) RF comms to need devices to be 2m apart. I have all manner of other (non-Evohome) sensor/actuator kit in my house, and haven't seen instructions like these anywhere else.

There seems to be a lot of black magic with Evohome, and for me that's one of the most frustrating things about the system.

Is it just me?

(Don't get me wrong though, I love Evohome, and recommend it all the time - I just wish things were clearer - I'm like a small kid asking "Why?" all the time)
                                Last edited by paulockenden; 31 March 2016, 01:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X