• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
    Maybe I'm alone in fining all this "it just works if you do this" very dissatisfying, from a nerd/engineer point of view.

There's no reason for a (well designed) RF handshake to take 5 minutes. There's no reason for (well designed) RF comms to need devices to be 2m apart. I have all manner of other sensor/actuator kit and haven't seen these things elsewhere.

There seems to be a lot of black magic with Evohome, and for me that's one of the most frustrating things about the system.

Is it just me?

(Don't get me wrong though, I love Evohome, and recommend it all the time - I just wish things were clearer - I'm like a small kid asking "Why?" all the time)
    Its not you at all. From a very hands on engineers perspective I find not being allowed to know everything about evohome very frustrating at times, but things are the way they are and from my own 'experience' with evohome I know this way works 100% (irrespective if it is due to poor handshake, over complicated protocols, saturation of signal, etc).

Comment

• AutoTrialer
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2016

Got my new controller and all 11 HR92's bound back to the controller and reporting well. Except one thing....with the hot water control. I re-bound the temperature sensor CS92 and the BDR91 controlling the hot water demand and then the heating BDR91. On the controller it is picking up the temperature correctly and indeed following the hot water schedule, but I'm getting an error message 'COMMS FAULT HOT WATER SENSOR', with a recommendation to contact installer, hmmm. I've left it to run through a 24 hour cycle just in case, but still have the fault. Any suggestions? If it was a binding issue I wouldn't expect it to be reporting the tank temperature or to follow the schedule so is there another issue I should be looking for?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
        Site Sponsor
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by AutoTrialer View Post
        Got my new controller and all 11 HR92's bound back to the controller and reporting well. Except one thing....with the hot water control. I re-bound the temperature sensor CS92 and the BDR91 controlling the hot water demand and then the heating BDR91. On the controller it is picking up the temperature correctly and indeed following the hot water schedule, but I'm getting an error message 'COMMS FAULT HOT WATER SENSOR', with a recommendation to contact installer, hmmm. I've left it to run through a 24 hour cycle just in case, but still have the fault. Any suggestions? If it was a binding issue I wouldn't expect it to be reporting the tank temperature or to follow the schedule so is there another issue I should be looking for?
        Any chance of a photo of the CS92A? Try taking the batteries out the CS92A and then putting them back in. Reset the fault and see what happens.

Comment

• markroseuk
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2016

Got my upgrade thanks Richard
          in my setup i have 9 zone rad valves and 1 zone normally set up foir the units own sensor or as i call it Hall as that rad doesn't have a valve
          my old unbit was fine but this zone for hall even though set to own internal sensor it says unbond yet nothing to bind it too
          any thoughts how i set it as just internal.
          Mark

Comment

• roydonaldson
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2013

I like some of the new text and layouts on the new controller software. It explains what it is doing a lot more and better than the previous software did.

However, I still find that it uses terminology in a manual setup vs. the guided setup that does not correspond to the system layout your are using. For instance, when doing Hot Water setup it has 2 configurations for the BDR91 to control it. Now, you'd think they would say 'S-Plan', or '2 port valve' at least in the Help text to give you some chance of working out which of the 2 very similar sounding buttons you should be pushing next.....

Comment

• AutoTrialer
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2016

Richard,
              thanks for the quick reply. I actually haven't changed the position of the CS92 or BDR91, just trying to re-bind them. The CS92 is on a different wall to the BDR91s. To bind the CS92 I am temporarily removing the batteries before putting into binding mode and the binding is reporting as successful, for the CS92 and the subsequent CDR91s. Hence my head scratching.
              Attached Files

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                Site Sponsor
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by AutoTrialer View Post
                Richard,
                thanks for the quick reply. I actually haven't changed the position of the CS92 or BDR91, just trying to re-bind them. The CS92 is on a different wall to the BDR91s. To bind the CS92 I am temporarily removing the batteries before putting into binding mode and the binding is reporting as successful, for the CS92 and the subsequent CDR91s. Hence my head scratching.
                That's cool, I was just checking they had been done properly in the first place. The cylinder is over shadowing that CS92 a little. I may have not said it on the video, but if you have to rebind anything I always suggest removing the previous binding before reboting evohome and binding the items again.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                  Site Sponsor
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by markroseuk View Post
                  Got my upgrade thanks Richard
                  in my setup i have 9 zone rad valves and 1 zone normally set up foir the units own sensor or as i call it Hall as that rad doesn't have a valve
                  my old unbit was fine but this zone for hall even though set to own internal sensor it says unbond yet nothing to bind it too
                  any thoughts how i set it as just internal.
                  Mark
                  Are you just trying to use a 'sensor' in a zone without a HR92? If so this setup is not recommended, as it means you will have to double bind the BDR91 which is known to cause issues.

Comment

• markroseuk
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2016

So is it best not put the hall as a zone now? using internal sensor i though this was the default one.
                    correct the hall does not have a HR92 just being used as a standard stat

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by markroseuk View Post
                      So is it best not put the hall as a zone now? using internal sensor i though this was the default one.
                      correct the hall does not have a HR92 just being used as a standard stat
                      I tried this for a while, and it worked for a few days but started producing Comms faults that I could not solve no matter what approach I took to rebinding. Don't do it. You can only do this if you have one zone and no HR92's at all.

If you have an automatic bypass valve you can change the radiator valve on one side of the radiator from a lockshield to a proper TRV valve and fit an HR92 - that's what I did. Or just leave that radiator uncontrolled, but that is obviously suboptimal from an energy savings point of view! I despise the concept of an always on bypass radiator so was glad to be rid of it so I can schedule individual rooms without the hall radiator always running when the boiler is on...
                      Last edited by DBMandrake; 31 March 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• rotor
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                        Maybe I'm alone in fining all this "it just works if you do this" very dissatisfying, from a nerd/engineer point of view.

There's no reason for a (well designed) RF handshake to take 5 minutes. There's no reason for (well designed) RF comms to need devices to be 2m apart. I have all manner of other (non-Evohome) sensor/actuator kit in my house, and haven't seen instructions like these anywhere else.

There seems to be a lot of black magic with Evohome, and for me that's one of the most frustrating things about the system.

Is it just me?

(Don't get me wrong though, I love Evohome, and recommend it all the time - I just wish things were clearer - I'm like a small kid asking "Why?" all the time)
                        Definitely not just you. Super frustrating.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Jan 2013

Richard, would you by any chance be able to do a video of making a zone with a HR80 ? I've got a number of these in my system (in spare rooms) and they are proving to be remarkably tedious to Unbind and then rebind to the new controller ?

Roy.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                            Site Sponsor
                            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                            Richard, would you by any chance be able to do a video of making a zone with a HR80 ? I've got a number of these in my system (in spare rooms) and they are proving to be remarkably tedious to Unbind and then rebind to the new controller ?

Roy.
                            Sadly Roy no can do, as I don't have any HR80's.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Jan 2013

Well, if you look out my window you'll find three that have just been thrown out there :-)

Starting to get there with them, but they are a right pain to bind.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                                Well, if you look out my window you'll find three that have just been thrown out there :-)

Starting to get there with them, but they are a right pain to bind.
                                Please dont say that! I have a 12 zone system all using the HR80s. That was the only reason I moved from the Hometronic to the Evohome because I could reuse my TRV heads. Are you saying the reset and the rebind doesn't work?

Comment

Working...
                                X