Thread: Looking for all-in-one ZWave automation/security

Automated Home Lurker

Default Looking for all-in-one ZWave automation/security

Hello,

I was trying to find a ZWave solution that will encompass security (motion sensors, door/window sensors, cameras, lock control) and automation (light controls, temperature) in as much as an integrated system as possible.

I was thinking of just using my home server to run Axial Server (http://www.incontrolha.com/download/downloadlist) for the automation with a USB dongle (controller?), then purchase a ZWave security kit similar to http://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/z-...mation-kit-6pc that has all of the sensors and security panel, and a camera system like http://www.costco.ca/Lorex-8-channel...100248643.html

My concern is having three or four different types of software suites to run in order to control or check up on the house. Does anyone know if there is an all-encompassing software suite that will handle all areas I'm trying to cover? I'd rather not have to use one app to log into my cameras to check the house, then another to check the current temperature, then another to check the last time the security system was disarmed. I'm kind of overwhelmed with all of the Zwave options and not quite sure what I should be purchasing (I've already purchased some ZWave Schlage locks and Nexia Bridge, a ZWave thermostat, and a USB dongle).

Second question, what do I use for a ZWave "controller"? Is there a brain that I use to send the commands to, or does the software on the server (Axial Server) just send commands using the USB dongle to all the other devices? Also, can I use the Nexia Bridge that I got with my Schlage lock, or can that only be used with their online (pay per month) service?

Thanks for the help,

Deadeye

Automated Home Lurker

I probably could add a bit more info on what I've got and my end goals.

Here's the hardware that I currently have:
    * Schlage Z-Wave deadbolts on all the doors (I tried their Nexia service with the Nexia bridge that came with one of the locks, but I don't think what they offered was worth $10 a month, so I am REALLY hoping that I don't need the Nexia bridge to use these Schalge locks again)
    * A Trane Z-Wave thermostat (still in the box)
    * One license for mHome Control server software, but it appears as though they went under as their website (Embedded Automation) is no longer up.
    * A Z-Wave USB dongle that I haven't tried out yet, but it came with the mHome software.

My end goals:
    1) Set up core Z-Wave system. Not sure if this requires a large hardware controller, or if I can just use my windows server with the USB dongle. I think I would prefer using a Windows box and some software to control the system (like Axial as it looks pretty cool), as I think I would have more control over the environment (be able to write scripts, for example, if the motion sensors detect movement in a room, turn on the lights and keep them on for x minutes)
    2) Install a Z-Wave security system. I live in an older home, but I'm doing some renovations (along with replacing ALL the old aluminium wiring with copper) so I'd rather use wired where I can, but I know in some locations (outside walls) it will be very difficult to run wires (for window security sensors). I'd like to have a panel at the front and back door, but I'd also like to be able to access the security system remotely (Android mobile) and through the server (to be able to use the security system for some home automation (IE: If the motion detectors don't detect any motion between the hours of 11:00 to 12:00, arm the system)
    3) Full camera monitoring. I would like to put some (mainly outdoor) cameras to record any thefts around the home, so I'm not sure what hardware to buy. I saw an AWESOME demo on the Mobilinc website where the guy had a camera in his garage that had a microphone, so he had it alert his phone when the volume when above a certain threshold when his security system was enabled. THAT is the level I would (eventually.......baby steps) like to achieve. My dream system is to hopefully have something like the Mobilinc system but for Android.