• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrscalex
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

RF Distribution from Scart connectivity

I'd like to take my Freeview signal (or it might be satellite or anything else with a Scart connection) and pump it round the house on the coax on a spare channel. I understand this is simple and cheap enough to do but I could use it being spelt out for me. So:

1) I guess I'll need a modulator - what type?
    2) Where does the output have to be fed into - presumably the aerial distribution point? How does it combine with the existing signal from the aerial?
    3) Is there a way of running the output back up the existing cabling or do I have to put a new run in?

Sorry, I know these are dumbass questions but with a few basics I can usually get up and running quick enough.

Also, I'm thinking about using a transceiver to send a coax based signal over Cat5 (for CCTV but I guess it could apply to the Freeview). Is this a lot more aggravation, ie cost than putting in coax runs?

Thanks,

Robert
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: RF Distribution from Scart connectivity

1. Something like this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...33050&doy=5m9D

Be aware of "Taboo Channels" Explanation and on-line calculator here...

Downloadable calc here...

2. You need a distribution amp. Have a look at my setup here...

Incoming Aerial feeds into the modulator. Output of modulator goes into input of distribution amp. Outputs on amp go to TVs in the various rooms.

3. You need a new run.

HTH.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• mrscalex
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2005

Thanks for that.

I was probably going to get the modulator from Maplin anyway so you've made that very simple!

I've already got a distribution amp up in the loft fed directly from the aerial and supplying umpteen rooms.

I guess I was thinking in terms of having the modulator downstairs with the Freeview box and then wondering how to merge the RF output from that (via the new cabling run) into the distribution amp input which is already occupied by the aerial input.

Am I over complicating this!? Do I just use a Y-adaptor?

Thanks,

Robert

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mrscalex
        Do I just use a Y-adaptor?
        Yep, simple as that. Y-Adaptor, one side to your TV, the other side into the modulator, then connect the output of modulator to your UP cable out to the distro amp.

BTW, you can get Freeview boxes that have RF modulators built in.

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

Working...
        X