• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

How to know which Evohome zone is calling for heat

Have just replaced my timer clock and allowed the Evohome to fire up the boiler when it needs to.

Now i am always not happy when the boiler is fired up when I didnt think it was needed.

Today i saw the CH relay switched on but all the zones were either at or above the set point. So why was the boiler on? Switching things to Eco and then immediately the CH was switched off.

So how do I figure out which zone was actually making the call for heat. I know someone built an interface from one of the relays to read the evohome traffic between the controller and the relay. But is there an easier way?

P.S. Why oh Why Honeywell are the Quick Action temperatures not configurable! I miss my Hometronic on these occasions.
  • rcopus
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Today i saw the CH relay switched on but all the zones were either at or above the set point. So why was the boiler on? Switching things to Eco and then immediately the CH was switched off..
    The boiler was on because it was keeping the zones at the set point.
    The reason it switched off when you set it to eco was because all of the zones were then above the new set point.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

I realised it might be that. But we should be able to see which zones are actually calling. Maybe a similar dot icon as the hot water has.

I checked the protocol of the wireless transmission and the zone demanding heat is actually sent. So with some effort it is possible to get that information.

Just wondered if anyone had found that information via the API or some other diagnostic screens.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
        Site Sponsor
        • Dec 2014

P.S. Why oh Why Honeywell are the Quick Action temperatures not configurable! I miss my Hometronic on these occasions.
        They are... Press SETTINGS > QUICK ACTIONS > AWAY (for example) > Then set the temp you want this quick action.

The only one not configurable is ECONOMY, hence I always use AWAY.

Comment

• top brake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2015

Have just replaced my timer clock and allowed the Evohome to fire up the boiler when it needs to.

Now i am always not happy when the boiler is fired up when I didnt think it was needed.

Today i saw the CH relay switched on but all the zones were either at or above the set point. So why was the boiler on? Switching things to Eco and then immediately the CH was switched off.

So how do I figure out which zone was actually making the call for heat. I know someone built an interface from one of the relays to read the evohome traffic between the controller and the relay. But is there an easier way?

when the zone(s) are at set point the boiler will still have a heat demand to sustain the temperature at set point. what would be the purpose of displaying which zones have a heat demand?

hope this makes sense

Rich has already answered your question about quick action set pints
          I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Yes but Away sets every room to a certain valve and HW off. What eco does is pull every zone down by a valve (currently 3, which is too low) and doesnt touch the HW. Its a good thing to have and I use it a lot.
            Away actually causes some unused rooms to start heating up if they were set lower than the rest of the house.

Also is there a way to amend a Quick Action without having the turn the last one off. The quick action button toggles, so the only way to access the Quick actions again is to turn the last one off and then make a selection again.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
              Site Sponsor
              • Dec 2014

Yes but Away sets every room to a certain valve and HW off. What eco does is pull every zone down by a valve (currently 3, which is too low) and doesnt touch the HW. Its a good thing to have and I use it a lot.
              Away actually causes some unused rooms to start heating up if they were set lower than the rest of the house.

Also is there a way to amend a Quick Action without having the turn the last one off. The quick action button toggles, so the only way to access the Quick actions again is to turn the last one off and then make a selection again.
              Just use the 'Heating Off' quick action but set it to your temperature (15 degrees for instance) - this will turn the heating off to this temp but leave hot water on.

Quick actions are one by one start and stop basis.

Comment

Working...
              X