broadband via builder-bodged master socket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pedro
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2005

broadband via builder-bodged master socket?

recently trying to run plug-in broadband using supplied modem -"no dial tone detected", their line test is a pass - on inspection find that recent handyman/builder who damaged my BT master socket has replaced it with a non-BT one!!! It appears to be wired correctly (I have seen some discussion here on wiring colour-coding) is there another reason why this could be the root of my problem?
    (more worryingly am I in serious poo regarding the now absent BT socket?) :?
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: broadband via builder-bodged master socket?

Originally posted by pedro
    recently trying to run plug-in broadband using supplied modem -"no dial tone detected", their line test is a pass - on inspection find that recent handyman/builder who damaged my BT master socket has replaced it with a non-BT one!!! It appears to be wired correctly (I have seen some discussion here on wiring colour-coding) is there another reason why this could be the root of my problem?
    Hi Pedro,

If the socket is wired correctly then there is no reason why it shouldnt work. I did connect a PC to broadband a couple of years ago using a modem and remember seeing a message saying "no dial tone detected" which struck me as a strange message because an ADSL modem doesnt need dial tone, just the ADSL carrier.

[it wasnt MY pc as I wanted to use a router so that all machines could access the internet. I initially *tried* to use an ADSL modem but the old dog of a PC that I was using for sharing the connection did not meet the minimum processor requirements so the modem wouldnt install :-(]

Are you certain there arent any filters in the line before the socket that you are trying to plug the modem in.

Also, has all the other equipment on the line got a filter. Dont forget about things like Tivo, Comfort, SKY etc. If it uses the phone line it needs a filter.

The problem could basically e in one of two areas......
    1. the line
    2. the modem

Is there any way you can test the kit on someone elses PC to check that the modem is OK (preferrably with your PC) that way you will know that the modem is OK.

Alternatively try and borrow an ADSL router from someone and see if that will work.

Please remember that if testing on someone elses line you will need to use *THEIR* account details.

(more worryingly am I in serious poo regarding the now absent BT socket?) :?
    Not if you shop the builder and let him get banged up for 5 years :-)

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• pedro
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2005

Thanks for that, Keith- the BB company said just to get a neighbour who has BB runnning to plug in my modem to his set-up and see if works ("5-10 minutes") but will he have to reprogram or configure his PC specially for that? or if using it to access his ISP/BB connection is it really just a matter of plug/unplug?

On second topic - do you know if I can get a NTE5 (new or used) to refit without having to get BT involved? Or do I have to bite the bullet and call BT and pay, presumably, to in effect have a new line connection made?

getting concerned, Pedro!

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Thanks for that, Keith- the BB company said just to get a neighbour who has BB runnning to plug in my modem to his set-up and see if works ("5-10 minutes") but will he have to reprogram or configure his PC specially for that? or if using it to access his ISP/BB connection is it really just a matter of plug/unplug?
        I would change his details for yours. I am not certain how things are connected in the exchange but certain cards may only be connected to certain providers so if he uses his details it may not work. As I said yesterday, if you try your kit round at his house you will need to use HIS details.

On second topic - do you know if I can get a NTE5 (new or used) to refit without having to get BT involved? Or do I have to bite the bullet and call BT and pay, presumably, to in effect have a new line connection made?

getting concerned, Pedro!
        Did the builder fit a Master socket (no removeable faceplate) or a proper NTE5?

I wouldnt worry about it being non BT, its probably made by the same company anyway!

Solwise http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm have NTE5's and the proper ADSL faceplates.

Alternatively, if the fault is on the NTE5 then just report a fault and deny all knowledge of where the existing one came from. Dont forget to offer Tea and Biscuits as soon as the engineer arrives though :-) :-)

Regards
        Keith

Comment

• vex
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2005

If your neighbour has the same modem then it will just be a case of swapping his for yours.

If it works it is your PC or the line, if it does not it is the modem.

Are you sure you line has been activated, I am waiting for BT to reconnect my service and my modem is also saying 'no dial tone' although I know the line has past its test etc.

Chris
          www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
          NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• pedro
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Sep 2005

thanks for replies, Keith and Chris - the replacement is double master socket (not NTE5), contact from BB Co said that BT had cleared a fault on the line y'day; needless to say I still couldn't connect. So I unwired the connection to my string of 5 internal slave sockets, leaving just the short wires linking to the other 'master' - no joy; suddenly (stupid me) thought the duplicate capacitor and restors on the 2nd master may affect it so removed those short wires and presto!! conection! so know modem working OK (and PC!) BUT when reconnected even ONE wire of my internal loom the connection fails! I have only school physics and light hobby interest in electronics but can't figure this out. (I don't think there's any way any of these wires is neare an earth and how can a short be relevant if I've only connected one wire?
            Help!
            regards Pedro

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

So I unwired the connection to my string of 5 internal slave sockets, leaving just the short wires linking to the other 'master' - no joy; suddenly (stupid me) thought the duplicate capacitor and restors on the 2nd master may affect it so removed those short wires and presto!! conection! so know modem working OK (and PC!) BUT when reconnected even ONE wire of my internal loom the connection fails! I have only school physics and light hobby interest in electronics but can't figure this out. (I don't think there's any way any of these wires is neare an earth and how can a short be relevant if I've only connected one wire?
              Removing the additional capacitor and resistor will help.

The reason why connecting just one wire might have stuffed it up is that a phone line is essentially a balanced circuit which is how it can work for such long distances over crappy old cable. By connecting only one wire you are unbalancing the circuit and if anything on the line is putting any sort of leakage or capacitance onto the line it will have a detrimental effect.

Unplug everything from ALL the other sockets and also check each of those sockets to ensure they are wired correctly and have the correct type of socket.

Test the wiring for earths, shorts, contact with any voltage etc.

Reconnect wiring if OK and see if line works.
              Reconnect devices one by one until it fails.

Dont forget filters on everything including SKY, TIVO, COMFORT etc.

I would suggest you get an NTE5 from Solwise and also get the proper ADSL faceplate as a single filter then covers all your other sockets.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• pedro
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Sep 2005

Thanks, Keith. Have been away 2 weeks (sometimes pondering over my wiring!) and planned short term fix may be to plug wireless router into master socket and have rest of house on plug-in loom to use when not on broadband (clumsy I know, but workable short term) SO thought also, temporarily I could try a plug-in extension (10m) which I had from master socket to computer's usual place 7m away with rest of house disconnected (also a test prior to purchse of router) BUT :cry: not working like that either!!! Could it be that my carrier signal is so weak that any load or extra resistance is causing a failure?

More confused, Pedro

Comment

• katman
                  • Jan 2004

Hi Pedro,

Have you got any idea how far you are from the exchange ?

A few metres of cable inside the house should have negligable effect. Have you had the line tested by BT just to make sure there isnt a line fault outside.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• pedro
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Sep 2005

Hi, Keith, I can remember 1 or 2 years back when I first enquired about broadband BT said I was about 4.7km (of wiring) from the echange and at that point 4.5 was the limit they would deem workable from my exchange. Also at that time I heard that a neighbour a few doors away was on BB but one a few doors other side had been denied. When I got this service organised there was no mention of being near any limits and the number was classed as OK for BB. In the course of trying to fix this problem the BB provider has had its techies test the line ("pass") and when I reported it still not working they were going to have it checked by BT who allegedly reported back to them that a fault had been addressed and line should be OK. It wasn't and when told, they were going to have it checked again - when I tried later that night I successfully connected as mentioned previously, but only once I had disconnected the rest of the house. While away a message left by them said further checks had revealed no faults. Regards, Pedro

Comment

• katman
                      • Jan 2004

Hi Pedro,

What ADSL service do you have (speed not provider).

It may be that your line is OK for 512k but not 1Meg (or similar).

At that distance from the exchange there is already going to be a lot of attenuation. I would say its worth contacting BT to get the line tested.

The cabinet down the road that feeds your house will be usually fed by several cables. It could be that you arebeing fed over a thin cable or an aluminium cable which have the highest losses. BT might be able to change the "E side" pair and get a line with less loss.

Its got to be worth a try as I cant think of anything else :cry:

Regards

Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X