Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple HomeKit

Automated Home Legend

Default Apple HomeKit

A question, more for our Honeywell forum users really. It is rumoured Apple are to release an updated version of HomeKit very soon (late May or June) so that it is an app in its own right and presumably that it reduces the need for lots and lots of different apps all operating things around the house. Is Evohome going to be able to work with HomeKit or is that a question Honeywell employees are not permitted to answer?

Automated Home Jr Member WiteWulf's Avatar

Two years ago they seemed to be, nothing since then, though

https://twitter.com/honeywell_home/s...01064645058560

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    A question, more for our Honeywell forum users really. It is rumoured Apple are to release an updated version of HomeKit very soon (late May or June) so that it is an app in its own right and presumably that it reduces the need for lots and lots of different apps all operating things around the house. Is Evohome going to be able to work with HomeKit or is that a question Honeywell employees are not permitted to answer?
    http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/06/ios-10-homekit-app/

Quote Originally Posted by WiteWulf View Post
    Two years ago they seemed to be, nothing since then, though

https://twitter.com/honeywell_home/s...01064645058560
    Well looking at Apple's Homekit device list (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204903), Honeywell have produced thermostats compatible with Homekit so true to their word.

Each device produced for the Homekit requires an Apple ID chip and as far as I know evohome doesn't have one - yet lol!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

There's no cloud level integration like there is with IFTTT or SmartThings. You'd need to have a device in your home which, like Richard says, contains an MFi processor chip, and which can also receive commands from other devices on the local wireless network (the Apple side all tuns off an Apple TV box). As far as I'm aware the current Evohome controller has / can do neither.

The easiest thing Honeywell could do would be to build/sell an external box which 'talks' MFi wifi or Bluetooth, and which communicates with the Evohome system much like an HGI80 does (although perhaps with added security!)

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

The easiest thing Honeywell could do would be to build/sell an external box which 'talks' MFi wifi or Bluetooth, and which communicates with the Evohome system much like an HGI80 does (although perhaps with added security!)
    If the panel needs an additional chip them I am surprised as for those designing these things looking to the future and what is happening is crucial and this would be an obvious thing to include. A lot of us have spent money upgrading to the latest Control Panel and having to do so again will not go down well. If you are right about the panel needing a chip then it's quite a c..k up for we know Honeywell have been involved/had the eye on HomeKit use for a long time.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I'm sure that when the new controller was designed the requirement for an MFi chip hadn't been announced by Apple. I think that only happened about a year ago. So it's not Honeywell you should be beating up over this silly requirement, it's Apple.

P.

[Update - less than a year - July 2015].
    Last edited by paulockenden; 11th May 2016 at 09:31 AM.

Just got a response from them via Twitter:

no_homekit_evohome.jpg

Not what I was hoping for, but no shocker...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I'm sure that when the new controller was designed the requirement for an MFi chip hadn't been announced by Apple. I think that only happened about a year ago. So it's not Honeywell you should be beating up over this silly requirement, it's Apple.

P.

[Update - less than a year - July 2015].
    Am not convinced.

Oh, don't get me started on Apple! I love Apple products, have done for years, but their restrictive practice re. chips in devices that work with their kit and certification of Bluetooth devices and similar is just a money-making scheme.

/rant