• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clark
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

Music Server - What's Best

Hi all,

I've had a search and didn't see any similar to this so here goes......

I've just bought a Netget MP101 music streamer and it works brilliantly. From amazon i found it was cheapest if anyone's interested.
    Anyway, I was thinking that have my pc switched on to run the server for my mp3's is a bit power consuming and therefore wish to build a small pc with wireless access to the network. But the only problem is that I only want to switch the small pc on when it's needed via X10. But then I'd need to hit the 'power' button. Is there a way round this? Cos this way would be a little cheaper I think than the alternative.....

What's the entry level wireless and un-wireless music server?

Thanks in advance again!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...hullkrfans.jpg
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Music Server - What's Best

Originally posted by Clark
    Hi all,

I was thinking that have my pc switched on to run the server for my mp3's is a bit power consuming and therefore wish to build a small pc with wireless access to the network. But the only problem is that I only want to switch the small pc on when it's needed via X10. But then I'd need to hit the 'power' button. Is there a way round this? Cos this way would be a little cheaper I think than the alternative.....
    Hi Clark,

Check the BOIS for the PC. Most modern motherboards have a setting that allows a PC to power up after a power failure/when power is first applied.

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Clark
      I was thinking that have my pc switched on to run the server for my mp3's is a bit power consuming and therefore wish to build a small pc with wireless access to the network.
      I don't know if you've seen this already but have a look at http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...howpage&pid=10 for some ideas for your server.
      The Mini-ITX motherboard has a very low power requirement so should keep your 'leccy bills down when idle, be aware that the drives will eat it up though when running ;-)

Although there is only one PCI slot on board, note the comment about the dual-riser card being available so you can add a PCI wireless card, or keep the single slot and just go with one of the USB WiFi adaptors.

HTH,

Tim.
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Gazzerdaman
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2004

Re: Music Server - What's Best

I recently bought one of these two, got it from Staples though as it came with £40 of logitech speakers free.

Also if your looking for a Server client then get for Twonkyvision. It is much more stable than the netgear software, and the wireless is a lot more stable

Comment

Working...
        X