Evohome + HGI80 & Domoticz users - zones calling for heat functionality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanD
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Feb 2016

OK, now I can admit to putting one of my HR92s in the freezer as part of my testing too . I can't even remember now why I did it, although I do remember taking out before I triggered the frost protection and switched on the boiler so I never got to test out whether the frost protection had been disabled. I think I was just too worried that I'd damage it. I noticed too that the latch has to be closed and it prefers the wheel to be attached so that it can complete its calibration. They're great little devices. I now need to think of some more experiments.........

Comment

• DanD
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Feb 2016

I've updated the Evohome HGI80 code to correctly show the setpoint as Off and this is displayed in the devices list, on the Temperature Sensors page and via any JSON call. Note: this only affects devices created using the 'All Sensors' function as these receive their messages direct from each device rather than via the controller. All the standard devices are unaffected by this change as their setpoints remain at 5deg when the HR92 is set to off. Here's a couple of screenshots:
      Setpoint Off.jpg Setpoint Off2.jpg

What do you think?

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Looks perfect.

Comment

• sandyman
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Mar 2016

hi dan - this looks awesome. not used this tool before but seems like I need to try it, which zone is calling is one of my constant need-to-knows. where do you buy an HGI80 from, from googling all I can find is a german ebay seller? anyone in uk selling them?

Is it possible to use domiticz to tell evohome to do something? in my case, I'd like it use the actuator in an HR92 to open a zone (but not call for heat, if thats possible)
          Ian

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

You can't do that. The only thing you can send to an HR92 is a setpoint, along with the details (temp and time) of the next setpoint. Things like opening and boiler demand are then decided by the HR92 itself.

P.

Comment

• DanD
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Feb 2016

Yes, Paul's correct. However I have started thinking about a possible solution for this - just theory at the moment. The HR92 could be bound to the HGI80 via the Domoticz code and the HGI80 would be its controller. The HGI80 could also be bound to the Evohome controller via Domoticz and mimic the HR92 and receive/send message to the controller except it would maintain all heat demand requests at 0. I'd started thinking about this functionality as a solution to the similar requirement of being able to monitor & control electric heating zones without triggering boiler demand.

With regards to purchasing a HGI80, the packaging indicates that they are manufactured by Honeywell Germany. I purchased one from a German retailer via web. I can't remember if it was via Ebay.

Dan

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

The logical conclusion of this path would be for a Domoticz controlled HGI80 to replace the evohome controller altogether.

After all, once configured the controller's main task is to marshall the various variable demands from the HR92s, and create a single heat demand (either TPI style on/off, or Opentherm), and firing valve/boiler relays at the appropriate time. It would be easy to replicate that.

I'm not sure I'd advise it, though.

Comment

• DanD
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Feb 2016

Hi Paul,

Yes, I don't think replacing the Evohome controller with Domoticz + HGI80 is advisable. The controller is pretty reliable and provides a great, simple user-friendly interface. I'd expect a Pi + Domoticz + HGI80 to have some reliability problems and although it has the potential to offer far more features, will always need a fallback. It's just a potential solution for those that are keen to have greater automation and either enjoy or can tolerate some tinkering.

I've also been unsuccessfully playing with ways of displaying additional information on the controller e.g. might it be possible to show heat demand by sending the values as temperatures and then reverting back to the real temp and repeating this a few times. I'm just playing though and it would be so much better if these could be added as new features to the controller.

Comment

• DanD
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Feb 2016

Quick update.

The following Evohome HGI80 updates have been merged into the main Domoticz repository:
                    • Fixed Evohome battery info
                    • Updated Evohome auto-naming of zones
                    • Added Evohome 'All Sensors' Off Setpoint

I'm still working on the following items:
                    • Add functionality to handle installations where there are multiple controllers within range
                    • Fix identification of all heat demand devices in Opentherm setups
                    • Investigate periodic corruption of groups of messages
                    • Investigate full list of recognised commands

Dan

Comment

• PaulGr
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                      Just a quick update to let you know that I've updated the Domoticz Evohome wiki to describe all the new HGI80 functionality available in version 4.5337 beta onwards.

Enjoy!

Dan
                      Hi all,

This is my first post. I have recently installed an Evohome system and I am running Domoticz on an RPi2 to provide logging. So far, I am very impressed. Unfortunately, the hot weather is now with us so further experimentation will have to wait until the Autumn. I am interested in monitoring zone heat demand to see if the system is behaving correctly.

A few days ago I downloaded the latest RPi beta software from the Domoticz website. It is version 3.5288. I am confused that Dan quotes version 4.5337 beta in his post. Does this mean the the images on the Domoticz website are out of date? If so, where can I get the latest software? A clarification would be most welcome.

Paul
                      Last edited by PaulGr; 7 July 2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• DanD
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Feb 2016

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not exactly sure how the Domoticz beta release numbering works for the compiled releases, but I've definitely messed up my numbering somehow. My self-compiled versions were showing 3.5337, but I've checked the contents of the 3.5288 compiled beta release on the Domoticz download page and it definitely includes my updates. I'll correct the Domoticz Evohome wiki to indicate that that the functionality was added in release 3.5288.

Thanks.
                        Dan

Comment

• PaulGr
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jun 2016

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the clarification.

Paul

Comment

• PaulGr
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jun 2016

Hi all,

I have been playing with the latest beta software. Nice! I am seeing more relay devices than I expected. Specifically, the devices with Idx 9 and 11 in the image below. Does anybody have any idea what these are?

For reference, my setup is:
                            combo boiler
                            Evotouch WiFi controller
                            BDR91
                            Lounge: DTS92 and two HR92
                            Hall: HR92
                            Bedroom 1: HR92
                            Bedroom 2: DTS92 and HR92
                            Bathroom towel radiator is not controlled (it doubles as a bypass)
                            Kitchen has an independent electric plinth fan heater
                            Evotouch controller internal temperature sensor is not used as it is close to the hall radiator

A thought. My next door neighbour has a CM927 and BDR91. Her BDR91 is only 7m or so as the crow flies from my HGI80. Is it possible that I am seeing her devices?

Paul

devices.jpg

Comment

• DanD
                              Automated Home Ninja
                              • Feb 2016

Hi Paul,

Good to hear that you've got it set-up and working with the new Domoticz beta. Unfortunately I've no idea what those two additional relays are. I'm still working on the Evohome Domoticz code and I have seen a similar Zone 0 relay in another user's set-up, but in their set-up I think this is coming from their Evohome Opentherm bridge which the code doesn't currently handle correctly. They could possibly be devices from your neighbour's set-up as the code doesn't currently perform any filtering and displays all devices within range, irrespective of the controller that they've been bound to. I'm still testing a newer version of the code which does filter out devices bound to other controllers.
                              Another comment on your device list, it's also odd that you've got two boiler devices appearing with different Device IDs. This seems to confirm that you're probably detecting the neighbour's devices.

If you were interested in exploring the problem a little more, you could try out the Domoticz version in my github development area. However, this requires compiling on the Pi and this can be a pain to set-up if you've previous only been installing from binaries. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the details.

Dan

Comment

• PaulGr
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Jun 2016

Hi Dan,

I should explain that I started with the stable version of Domoticz and saw the first 7 devices (Idx 1 - 7). I updated the software to beta to get the heat demand monitoring functionality and the other devices (Idx 8 - 16) then appeared. What seems strange to me is that the second boiler relay device (Idx 10) has the same Device ID as my Evotouch controller. It's also curious that the extra zone relay devices (Idx 9 and 11) have consecutive Device IDs. Is it possible for a device to have more than one Device ID?

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X