Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boiler Relay - Comms Fault

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    This is a common misconception

The binding remains<

All you needed to do was fit fresh batteries and wait 5 mins
    Did that as was aware it takes time to reconnect. Waited nearer 10 minutes.

However, I have hopefully sorted the problem by wiping the relays, deleting reference thereto in the panel and then reinstalling. Will see if at 06:04 tomorrow morning it reports a fault. It ought not to.

It is now gone past 06:04 on the next day and no faults all works as it should.Thanks DBMandrake for pointing me in this direction.
    Last edited by G4RHL; 27th June 2016 at 07:43 AM. Reason: An addendum

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    It is now gone past 06:04 on the next day and no faults all works as it should.Thanks DBMandrake for pointing me in this direction.
    And another day has passed - is it still OK ? I'm assuming so or we would have heard back.

Just goes to show that binding errors can cause "faults" to be logged that don't appear to cause any detrimental effect on normal functioning. There needs to be a bit more diagnostic information in the installer menu to help troubleshoot such problems IMHO instead of relying on "remove everything that isn't working and add it back in again"...

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    And another day has passed - is it still OK ? I'm assuming so or we would have heard back.

Just goes to show that binding errors can cause "faults" to be logged that don't appear to cause any detrimental effect on normal functioning. There needs to be a bit more diagnostic information in the installer menu to help troubleshoot such problems IMHO instead of relying on "remove everything that isn't working and add it back in again"...
    Yes, another day passed and all is fine. No faults in my log. I think what is good about the system is how robust it is. It is not the fault of the system and the devices. It's me who ended up double binding the Panel. Perhaps better instructions will help. But it all happily reboots to where it was and continues to get on with its job. I changed my wifi router yesterday and it took some time for the Panel to see the new wifi (it was alongside the router) but it did and carries on as before.

A different issue for me to resolve is one of my HR92s goes through batteries every three months. Proximity to the Panel is not the issue. It all keeps me out of mischief!

Automated Home Legend

Three months sounds unusually short. Are you using full stroke mode ?

I've only had one HR92 need batteries replacing so far - after about 15 months. The other 4 HR92's I have I have only had for about 9 months and they are still showing 2 bars with no battery warnings on the original factory supplied batteries. So for me so far a bit over a year seems to be typical.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Three months sounds unusually short. Are you using full stroke mode ?

I've only had one HR92 need batteries replacing so far - after about 15 months. The other 4 HR92's I have I have only had for about 9 months and they are still showing 2 bars with no battery warnings on the original factory supplied batteries. So for me so far a bit over a year seems to be typical.
    I am not sure that the battery indication on the HR92s is a reliable indication of remaining life. I changed the batteries in an HR92 yesterday as the controller was showing a battery low fault/re-set condition. The HR92 was showing 2 bars. The batteries were the originals and were 2 years old.

Automated Home Legend

Yes, it was discussed in another thread recently that the battery indicator of the HR92 is far too coarse and not particularly useful. I would go by when the controller starts to report faults.

On mine they only stay on 3 bars for a month or two then spend most of their life at 2 bars, and when I started to see intermittent low battery warnings being logged to the fault log (I had not yet seen an on-screen red warning) the HR92 still reported two bars. I suspect it had another couple of months before it died but I replaced the batteries anyway (at about 15 months) and the fault log entries stopped.

As I've had that valve set on the more battery hungry "full stroke" mode for about half that time I consider 15 months to be a reasonable battery life.

Automated Home Legend

All my HR92s are set for standard stroke - menu item, 6.0

I have found that once you start getting the low battery warning it is two to three days maximum before failure.

Automated Home Legend

A follow up. All worked fine until 5 days ago when the Control Panel fault log was showing a failure to connect with the hot water sensor. It ended up as a complete failure. I did a wipe of the pairing for hot water (relay, sensor and panel) and bound them all afresh. It was OK again but 24 hours or so and the connection fault appeared but put itself right, several times. I then moved the Panel. It was on its wall mount downstairs by the Boiler, not quite below the hot water sensor although a ceiling in between, and put it on its desktop stand in my study, upstairs, not quite line of sight, a plasterboard wall (2) between it. The problem ended. Thus it seems to be the proximity of the Panel to the sensor. Fine but the system was installed in December 2014 and the issue has only recently arisen and the only changes have been an upgraded panel (to the wifi one) and new batteries in the sensor.

Any thoughts anybody?

Automated Home Legend

Add me to the list. In my case it suddenly started, no change in batteries or binding or positions or anything.

Automated Home Legend

Suddenly happened with me again. It is not a distance issue between sensor and Panel as I have not moved the Panel again and it is reasonably close to the sensor. Yesterday a message appeared telling me the Panel had lost contact with the hot water sensor. The temperature reading was blank. I wiped the binding with the sensor in the Panel, then reset the hot water relay and rebound the sensor and relay afresh. It to took about three attempts but ultimately successful and all is still fine. Something is causing the Panel to lose contact with the sensor. It sounds more like the sensor has developed a fault but find that curious. It was installed 20 months ago and usually electronic faults, if they are going to appear, do so in the early days.