• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nieldm
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2016

Evohome Hot Water BDR91 not binding

Hi

First things first and for full disclosure....I did my own installation of the equipment, so there is no installer to blame. I have, however, RRFM'd and followed the 'youlearn' tutorials. The heating setup is working fine, both the BDR91 and the HR92s, all bound and happy. My problem is with BDR91 controlling the hot water, which was working but last night the controller showed a comms error and on the BDR91 was a flashing red light so thought I would reset and rebind it. Since then I cannot get it to bind to the controller.

I follow the instructions, go to Guided Configuration/Stored Hot Water Configuration and through to Hot Water Sensor. Then on the BDR91, hold until it flashes quickly (15 sec), keep holding until the flashing is slow (5 sec), but nothing happens on the controller and I don't see that green "Bind" icon.

So yesterday I got a (non Evohome experienced) plumber round who checked the wiring, said it is all good and tried the setup, following the instructions.....same result.

An RF Comms check for the heating components (clearly no water test option available) comes back "excellent" so I am not worried about the signal...

I have checked the forum and can't find anything addressing this, but my apologies if I missed it. Does anyone have any advice on this before I get serious wife-factor aggravation?

Marc
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nieldm View Post
    I follow the instructions, go to Guided Configuration/Stored Hot Water Configuration and through to Hot Water Sensor. Then on the BDR91, hold until it flashes quickly (15 sec), keep holding until the flashing is slow (5 sec), but nothing happens on the controller and I don't see that green "Bind" icon.
    Two possible mistakes I can see - you say you are going to Hot water sensor, but you are then trying to bind the BRD91 ? That won't work, the BDR91 is an actuator not a sensor. When you set up hot water you bind both the sensor (CS92) and the hot water relay, (BDR91) in different steps, so if you are putting the relay into binding mode when it is expecting the sensor to be in binding mode then naturally it will not show anything.

The other possible issue is you say you hold the button down for 15 seconds (which clears all previous bindings) and then continue to hold it another 5 seconds to bind - I believe you're supposed to release the button after you get the rapid flash after 15 seconds then press and hold it again for 5 seconds to go into binding mode. Only actuators have a clear binding operation, sensors don't need to be cleared before rebinding.

Also I think you're supposed to put the evotouch into binding mode first and then the sensor or actuator that you're binding. I've found if I do it the other way around it can take a long time (minutes) for the binding to register, I presume because the sensor/actuator sent its binding request before the evotouch was ready, and then doesn't re-transmit a request for quite a while.

You don't need to use guided mode to rebind hot water - I would recommend going to System Devices->Stored Hot water and change hot water configuration to disabled, and follow the prompts to remove the hot water configuration.

Then hold the button on the hot water BDR91 for 15 seconds until you get the rapid flash to show that its binding had been cleared. (It will continue with a rapid flash until you re-bind it later)

Then to re-add hot water go back into System Devices->Stored Hot water and choose enable.

It will then ask you to bind the sensor - so put the CS92 into binding mode. After that has bound the next step should ask you to bind the hot water zone valve - now put the BDR91 into binding mode by holding the button for 5 seconds - the flashing will change from fast to slow and then stop after a few seconds when the Evotouch completes the binding.

Hope that helps - I don't have a hot water kit so can't test all the steps myself but the above should be correct.

PS when you do the binding are you taking the Evotouch off its stand and taking it to within a metre or so of the BDR91 and CS92 ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 19 June 2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• kishan200
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2016

Hi all. I have had a fully working evohome system working perfectly for over 5 years. The system includes 5 UFH zones, 4 radiator zones and a hot water component for an unvented cylinder. However, I woke up this morning to both BDR91s (one each for the hot water and heating) and the UFH controller flashing red with connection errors.

I have tried the standard rebinding method of holding down the button on the BDR91 for fifteen seconds to clear the binding and then settting it into binding mode by holding again for 5 seconds until the red lights flash at a different cadence and then setting the Evohome controller to bind mode but it is not picking anything up after multiple attempts.

Any ideas on what I can do and why they would have all unbinded overnight?

I now have no heating or hot water and a very unhappy family.

I tried to call a few so called evohome installers in my area and they didn’t have a clue. One of them suggested changing the batteries on the BDR91 which proved he was clueless given they are hardwired.

Please help!

Comment

• therealfronty
        Automated Home Guru
        • May 2021

That sounds very odd, if all the RF devices are suddenly having a problem then it sounds more likely a problem with the evotouch panel/controller thing rather than the individual BDRs. Have tried doing the old "turn it off and on again" trick?

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by therealfronty View Post
          That sounds very odd, if all the RF devices are suddenly having a problem then it sounds more likely a problem with the evotouch panel/controller thing rather than the individual BDRs.
          Or a new source of RF interference.

Added any new devices around the house recently ?

Comment

• MajorDanby
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2019

Have you tried changing the batteries in the hot water sensor? When mine ran low it generated a multitude of comms errors

Comment

Working...
            X