Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evohome security yet ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Guru

Default Evohome security yet ?

I was wondering if anyone had had a look at the new evohome security system yet, or seen any pricing ?

Roy

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm very interested too, can't find any details on it apart from the update to the iOS app

Automated Home Guru

I think the web site just got updated recently

http://getconnected.honeywell.com/en/evohome-security

evohome Security is now available to pre-order here - https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/39-hone...ohome-security

Anyone up for a group buy? I would be willing to do a deal for AH members if there was say 10+ interested?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Richard

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Of course, what's REALLY needed is integration between the two.

e.g. When the security system is in 'away' mode knock the heating back to Eco.

Also perhaps using the door/window sensors to control heating modes.

P.

Automated Home Legend

The site depicts Security Kit 3. The info says the pack includes 1 door and window sensor but there is a picture of 2. Do I assume that they are identical so both can be used as door sensors? One more question. An outside alarm is not listed. Is there to be one?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Of course, what's REALLY needed is integration between the two.

e.g. When the security system is in 'away' mode knock the heating back to Eco.

Also perhaps using the door/window sensors to control heating modes.

P.
    There is integration between the two...

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    The site depicts Security Kit 3. The info says the pack includes 1 door and window sensor but there is a picture of 2. Do I assume that they are identical so both can be used as door sensors? One more question. An outside alarm is not listed. Is there to be one?

Thanks.
    Yep, sorry I missed that one! Kit 3 info now updated. The Door and Window Sensor can be used for either doors or windows. There is an outside alarm available, but not yet stocked by Honeywell - I will put up on website now.

Automated Home Legend

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but it should be pointed out that any wireless security system can be jammed if the intruder has knowledge of the system installed (which can probably be determined fairly easily by sniffing the wireless transmissions from as far away as the street) and the right equipment to jam it.

Even if the communication protocol itself is completely secure (a good design using both encryption and authentication between all devices, and no bugs in the implementation) if you can cause the individual devices not to be able to communicate with each other for a period of time due to RF interference you can partially or completely defeat the system.

I was reading a research paper not long ago on the security (or lack of) of already on the market wireless security systems based on the Z-Wave and Zigbee home automation protocols, and the summary was basically "don't do it". Not only do both those protocols have design flaws in their authentication that makes it possible for a malicious party to either join the network or impersonate a device already on the network, they were of course also subject to outright RF jamming. The biggest issue was that they were trying to utilise protocols that were never designed with security in mind, for a security application.

I have no idea what protocols the Honeywell system might be using and how well implemented they are - if they have been custom designed for a security product they may be more secure, but there is still the issue of RF jamming.

It's somewhat well known that the Evohome over the air wireless protocol has very little in the way of authentication (none ?) in the binding process and communication between devices and that it's easy to impersonate devices on the network. And of course RF jamming is also a possibility.

However the stakes are much lower for heating than security - if someone really really wanted to and had the time and equipment they could turn my heating right down or right up from just outside my house. Unless its the middle of winter in sub zero conditions and I'm away from home for a few days, big deal. I will soon notice that my rooms are too hot or too cold and investigate. However if they could tamper with my security system in the same way I would not be happy.

Just IMHO.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 6th July 2016 at 12:26 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    There is integration between the two...
    To what extent?

P.

Automated Home Legend

[QUOTE=The EVOHOME Shop;27684Yep, sorry I missed that one! Kit 3 info now updated. The Door and Window Sensor can be used for either doors or windows. There is an outside alarm available, but not yet stocked by Honeywell - I will put up on website now.[/QUOTE]

Any idea what the battery life is of the external alarm? Not an appealing thought to have to get the ladders out to go up high to replace them. Perhaps what may be better is the battery pack is inside the house, the other side of the wall on which the external sounder is mounted.