Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Evohome security yet ?

Automated Home Legend

[QUOTE=The EVOHOME Shop;27684Yep, sorry I missed that one! Kit 3 info now updated. The Door and Window Sensor can be used for either doors or windows. There is an outside alarm available, but not yet stocked by Honeywell - I will put up on website now.[/QUOTE]

Any idea what the battery life is of the external alarm? Not an appealing thought to have to get the ladders out to go up high to replace them. Perhaps what may be better is the battery pack is inside the house, the other side of the wall on which the external sounder is mounted.

Automated Home Lurker

All accessories are specified with 4 year battery life.
    With the Tag Reader you can set either Full Arm or Partial Arm.

(The info is right there on the GetConnected website ;-)

Edit: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    To what extent?

P.
    When you 'ARM' or 'PARTIALLY ARM' you can enable a 'QUICK ACTION' on the evohome Controller.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    When you 'ARM' or 'PARTIALLY ARM' you can enable a 'QUICK ACTION' on the evohome Controller.
    Cool! If it ever gets upgraded to being suitable for use with a central station for Police response, I'd probably jump ship from my current alarm provider.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Cool! If it ever gets upgraded to being suitable for use with a central station for Police response, I'd probably jump ship from my current alarm provider.

P.
    Certainly worth thinking about if I need to change my current system - a hard wired one. Not cheap though. I got the cost to 556 on the basis of needing the Kit 3, 3 extra PIRs and possibly an internal siren (may be able to do away with that if the panel is noisy enough) but then there is the cost of the external siren on top and extra tags or key fobs. Interesting though and worth thinking about if my present system fails. Had it 19 years and only had to change the backup battery once. To be fair though, even though an RF sniffer might detect the frequency Evohome Security works on and a pocket transmitter might be useable to override it, it stills seems better than what I have at present. Such is my present system that if a PIR fails I can't replace it. The wiring is so tight within the walls there is no slack to connect a new one, unless I start some plaster work!

Plus I assume the Evohome system is designed to detect unlawful access but then they won't tell us that!

Certainly food for thought and it looks like a very simple system to install. Apart from the outside sounder!!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Any idea what the battery life is of the external alarm? Not an appealing thought to have to get the ladders out to go up high to replace them. Perhaps what may be better is the battery pack is inside the house, the other side of the wall on which the external sounder is mounted.
    I agree, seeing as at least some customers would be replacing existing systems you'd think that there were wired versions of parts available rather than making them all battery powered.
    If I was to buy this system I'd be replacing all sorts of things that are already wired and thus powered, with battery kit that will require changing every few years, seems a bit silly.

I think they've missed a trick not allowing the kit to be physically powered and the batteries operating as backups.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rcopus View Post
    I agree, seeing as at least some customers would be replacing existing systems you'd think that there were wired versions of parts available rather than making them all battery powered.
    If I was to buy this system I'd be replacing all sorts of things that are already wired and thus powered, with battery kit that will require changing every few years, seems a bit silly.

I think they've missed a trick not allowing the kit to be physically powered and the batteries operating as backups.
    I currently have two external sounders. Both hard wired to the main security panel in the house from whence they draw power. It would be nice if they could still be used, powered perhaps from an indoor PSU and triggered by a wireless device connected to the Evohome Security Panel. Or as I said earlier at least have the battery packs for external alarms inside the house and so more easily and safely accessible - i.e. in the loft. I have not seen the new Evohome external sounder but am sure it could be easily modified to achieve the latter.

Automated Home Legend

FWiW, my home insurance (with the appropriate discount for home security) stipulates that the system must have been installed by and maintained by an installer with NACOSS/SSAIB accreditation. Is Honeywell reviewing its installer network?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

The discount on my home insurance was so small I decided not to tick that box.

It simplifies things should I ever accidentally leave the alarm off (or if the alarm breaks down and I have to leave the house).

If you take the discount but then leave the house unalarmed any claim would be knocked back.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    FWiW, my home insurance (with the appropriate discount for home security) stipulates that the system must have been installed by and maintained by an installer with NACOSS/SSAIB accreditation. Is Honeywell reviewing its installer network?
    I have taken this point up with my insurers in the past pointing out that there is little maintenance involved other than checking it works so why do they insist on the point? They backed down. Or when getting the quote simply say it is not so maintained. It seems to make little difference.