Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evohome security yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I wonder how thick the tags are. Some phone cases come with a slot for cards and perhaps one could be used for the tag - until it drops out and an unworthy finds it!!
    I just measured one and they are 4mm thick.

Automated Home Jr Member

I guess an advantage to the GPRS model is that if you don't have your internet connectivity running on UPS's then in the event of power failure you can still interact with the GPRS based system.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Anyone up for a group buy? I would be willing to do a deal for AH members if there was say 10+ interested?
    Can't say I need it or that its adding too much over the alarm I have which was installed as the house was built in 2014, but I could be tempted

As with evohome for heating, I just wish Honeywell were faster with the innovation/updates. Both the heating and security system have so much potential but Honeywell seem to keep the level of customisation/feature-set too basic, with the justification they don't want to confuse us dear users.
    I'd also like to see the prices of the security system reduced, the price for an external siren is extortionate given how basic the technology involved is. I don't know any UK homes that don't have an external siren so the fact it costs almost as much as an entire Honeywell wireless burglar alarm system from Screwfix is ludicrous.

If they treated the security system a bit more like the heating system, a few 'relays' could allow the use of peoples existing mains-fed bells/sirens too.

Automated Home Guru

I’ve had the system installed for a couple of weeks. I very much like the convenience of the app as a way of setting the system and the tag reader is neat and a doddle to operate.

I agree that it looks expensive but a lot of the other systems appear to be subscription based whereas this isn’t and that needs to be factored into the equation.

A few observations about the system as a whole. Firstly the installation instructions in the box are pretty abysmal covering only the individual components in pictographic style, but fortunately the downloadable one on the Honeywell site covers the whole process. Secondly, the door sensors can only be opened from one end when it comes to battery replacement which restricts mounting options as that end cannot be in the corner of the door frame and the actual sensor is at one end of the device. Thirdly, I am very impressed by the sensitivity and coverage of the camera/PIR device, but the image quality at 640*480 in a large room isn’t really adequate for facial recognition. Fortunately I have other devices that are but they don’t sound an alarm.

Update.

Just a further observation. I just set the heating to permanent Economy over the summer. I've noticed on a couple of occasions that it's reverted to the normal schedule when I've used it in conjunction with the security part of the app. I'm not sure if this is finger trouble on my part, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar?

The app is slightly less responsive with the security component compared to the heating part and it’s annoying that it requires the input of a pin to access the security side which I think should be user configurable but it otherwise works fine.
    Last edited by peterf; 2nd August 2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: update

Automated Home Guru

Attempting to add a peripheral today and having difficulty. The web page on the Honeywell site that shows the current configuration apparently hangs whilst loading and only displays when the browser gets a timeout message. You can see the configuration behind the timeout message but have no option other than to reload and the process repeats itself.

The app is similarly un-responsive which is a bit worrying if you're relying on it to set/unset the system.

The issue is with Honeywell Support

Automated Home Guru

Just an update on the previous post. After several attempts over the weekend, I finally got a connection into the Honeywell system and was able to add a couple of peripherals. However, attempting to connect again to add additional tags (the tag pack by the way contains 4 tags), I'm once again getting timeouts.

Happy to report that the app's security section back to the normal speed.

Automated Home Guru

Finally received a response from Honeywell Support 3 days after raising the problem - perhaps they don't work weekends - saying that they could see the tags I'd added so everything is OK.

No it's not - I can still only gain sporadic access to the system configuration and the app was once again unresponsive at around midnight last night.

I've also raised another query as the siren box I have is packaged as SEF8MS, which I gather is the correct model for the new system. However it has an internal sticker from the Leicester-based outfit who assemble/make them showing it as SEF8M and that's also what it registers as on the system. I wonder if there's any difference apart from the £30-odd.

After this little rant, I must say I haven't yet fallen out of love with the system as it has been fine up until a few days ago and the issues (app apart) don't reflect on the day-to-day operation.

I do fear however that Honeywell have some capacity problems that are manifesting themselves as the system becomes more widely available and they may end up with a lot of unfavourable comments unless they sort these out rapidly.

Anyone from Honeywell care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Anyone from Honeywell care to comment?
    Honeywell support does not work weekends. PM 'top brake' for further assistance if official Honeywell channels have not responded to your satisfaction and he will point you in the right direction I am sure.

Automated Home Guru

Thanks for the response Richard.

Regarding the siren, Honeywell have confirmed that there's no difference between the SEF8M and SEF8MS models. When I last looked there was a £30 price difference however so any prospective purchasers may make a useful saving there if this information is correct.

The response of the app is still somewhat variable. It is responding within about 25 seconds as I type this but yesterday evening it was timing out after several minutes. I haven't correlated the response times to see if they match with the US waking up or going to sleep but, as I said in a previous post, it feels as though there's a capacity problem.

Other than that, it seems to do what it says on the tin with text and email notifications working fine.

I did notice that my heating went back to the normal schedule again from "economy" at some point, but I'm still not sure if it's finger trouble on my part or some weird interaction between the two parts of the app.

Quote Originally Posted by peterf View Post
    Regarding the siren, Honeywell have confirmed that there's no difference between the SEF8M and SEF8MS models. When I last looked there was a £30 price difference however so any prospective purchasers may make a useful saving there if this information is correct.
    Just be aware that this information may be correct, but there is a division in Honeywell between the 'wet' and 'dry' trade channels (2 completely separate sales departments in Honeywell). SEF8M is a 'dry' trade product part code and I think if you check, the 'wet' side of Honeywell which is the evohome/evohome Security/TCC app side of the business will not technically support these items or warranty them. I know this was the case when the MK2 evohome Heating Controller was sold through B&Q and the 'dry' trade channel of the business - 'wet' would not support it.