• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crawf
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2016

Electric Underfloor Heating - options?

Hi,

Am I right in thinking that Warmup’s 4iE and Heatmiser’s Neostat-E are the only two smart thermostat systems that offer off-the-shelf support for electric underfloor heating?

Are they still the only options if individual components draw less that 5A – or any similar threshold?

The other approach, which seems popular on this forum, is to run an EvoHome system with a further set of relays. How come this is preferred over, for example, relays with the Nest system?

Any pointers welcome!

Crawf
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Unless evohome is used on an 'electric only' system then E-UFH is not recommended, due to the way it handles heating demands on a hydronic side of the system. Also the fact Honeywell thermostats are all air sensing and don't use floor temperature probes, is a reason it is not recommended and why it is always teamed up with E-UFH thermostat/programmers that do use floor probes when it is used. Nest would be subjected to the same issues as evohome, due to the fact Nest also doesn't use a floor probe.

Comment

• sandyman
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Mar 2016

I think E-UFH as your main heat source is also viciously expensive. a neighbour changed his downstairs (in a 1970's 4 bed detached) to pure E-UFH because he was fed up with plumbing issues (leaks etc from underfloor pipework) - he completely regrets it as his electric bill in winter is obscene. So unless you have specific reasons for doing it, it may be not be the best plan.
      I have evohome HR92 on every radiator. In the bathrooms (two of them) I also have warmup E-UFH, under tiled floors but this is sized and designed to keep the tiles warm (the probe is under the tiles) not the room, hence its not particularly high output, so its running cost is not too high. I use their programmable stats from around 8 years ago, I guess the modern stuff must be more flexible, but these give you time / floor temp setpoints which is all you need.
      There is a wet CH towel rail in each room sized to keep the room warm, this is evohome controlled via HR92... so if I want the air temp in the main bathroom at 23 in winter so the kids will be toasty when they get out the bath ... I do that with evo. I never touch the programming on the warmup - floor at 28 during bathroom usage periods is the same need regardless of season.
      Last edited by sandyman; 21 July 2016, 04:51 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
      X