• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Evohome has suddenly started dropping connection to HW sensor

My evohome wifi has suddenly started dropping connection to the HW sensor. I acknowledge the error message and after some time it will reestablish the connection again. Nothing has really changed that I can point to as causing this issue.

Also unlike the other zone disconnect messages that simply sit in the error log this one is a nice big one on the front screen. The app should really have a method to poll these error messages.

Any clues as to what and why suddenly?
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

I have had a similar issue - see my posting under Boiler Relay - Comms Fauly

Comment

• HelmutF
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Mar 2015

Same to me. First i thought the batteries are empty. Some were low, but still working. Changed nearly on all Thermostates (I have 11) batteries. Worked for one week. Yesterday I saw a communication loss in two or three rooms (one with 2 thermostates). As I know this, I made a siganl test on the thermostat. I worked not for all. One thermostat did not show the siganl strength on the display. After a while, it worked. At the moment I have a loss in two rooms.
      Did not know whats wrong. Did Honeywell change the software on the main device? The controller?

Comment

• FullBore
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2016

I too have a similar problem.

My Evohome wifi has suddenly, since earlier this month, started dropping connection to a particular HR92. It shouldn't be a battery issue as the system is less than 12 months old and Evohome claim a 2 year battery life.

If it was a battery problem I would expect a battery low reminder visible on both the radiator controller screen and the evohome controller screen. There are no such reminders all my HR92s show at least 2 bars on their displays.

Nevertheless I swapped the batteries between the problem HR92 and one which has been working OK, but this has not solved the problem.

In practice how long do batteries last in HR92s, and when the time comes to change them, what please are the best replacements. Presumably not an off the shelf battery, as it has to operate in a fairly hot enviornment when the radiator valve is open.

I note Richard is listing Duracell Industrial 1.5V Alkaline Batteries on his website, so I guess they are probably the answer.

FB
        Last edited by FullBore; 31 August 2016, 08:35 PM. Reason: To make reference to Duracell Industrial 1.5V Alkaline Batteries

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Originally posted by FullBore View Post
          I too have a similar problem.

My Evohome wifi has suddenly, since earlier this month, started dropping connection to a particular HR92. It shouldn't be a battery issue as the system is less than 12 months old and Evohome claim a 2 year battery life.

If it was a battery problem I would expect a battery low reminder visible on both the radiator controller screen and the evohome controller screen. There are no such reminders all my HR92s show at least 2 bars on their displays.

Nevertheless I swapped the batteries between the problem HR92 and one which has been working OK, but this has not solved the problem.

In practice how long do batteries last in HR92s, and when the time comes to change them, what please are the best replacements. Presumably not an off the shelf battery, as it has to operate in a fairly hot enviornment when the radiator valve is open.

I note Richard is listing Duracell Industrial 1.5V Alkaline Batteries on his website, so I guess they are probably the answer.

FB
          Some of my original HR92 batteries lasted over 2 years. Battery life very much depends on the configuration of each zone. For example, I have HR92s in zones/rooms that get very little use so the temperature tends not to vary that much; conversely, in rooms such as my lounge, kitchen and living room HR92 batteries lasted only about 18 months. That said, I did get an indication of end of battery life - either on the screen or in the fault log. Remember, as batteries come to the end of their lives, they tend to lose then regain contact with the controller.

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            My evohome wifi has suddenly started dropping connection to the HW sensor. I acknowledge the error message and after some time it will reestablish the connection again. Nothing has really changed that I can point to as causing this issue.

Also unlike the other zone disconnect messages that simply sit in the error log this one is a nice big one on the front screen. The app should really have a method to poll these error messages.

I have had another loss of comms to the HW sensor. Looking through the log, the faults only occur when HW is OFF and, in both the recent cases, they outage has lasted exactly 50 minutes.

I have spoken to Evohome Tech. The guy I spoke to told me that he wasn't familiar with Evohome but he diligently took down all the details, and told me that he would escalate the issue. Can I urge anyone else who has this problem to call Evohome Tech.

I have asked for clarity on what will happen if the controller calls for heat to the HW and there is a loss of comms to the sensor?

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
              Some of my original HR92 batteries lasted over 2 years. Battery life very much depends on the configuration of each zone. For example, I have HR92s in zones/rooms that get very little use so the temperature tends not to vary that much; conversely, in rooms such as my lounge, kitchen and living room HR92 batteries lasted only about 18 months. That said, I did get an indication of end of battery life - either on the screen or in the fault log. Remember, as batteries come to the end of their lives, they tend to lose then regain contact with the controller.
              I have had to change the batteries more often in zones that have very little use. My longest lastin batteries were I think in a zone that has maximum use.

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                I have had to change the batteries more often in zones that have very little use. My longest lastin batteries were I think in a zone that has maximum use.
                So be it. I have seen reports of batteries only lasting 3 months when HR92s are used in a commercial setting. It has to be down to the number of HR92 cycles.
                Last edited by HenGus; 1 September 2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• FullBore
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                  I have spoken to Evohome Tech. The guy I spoke to told me that he wasn't familiar with Evohome but he diligently took down all the details, and told me that he would escalate the issue. Can I urge anyone else who has this problem to call Evohome Tech.
                  I presume this is where one should raise these issues:-

FB

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

Originally posted by FullBore View Post
                    I called Honeywell on 0300 130 1299.

The email address on the website is [email protected]

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                      What do you mean by little use ?

Do you mean a room that is not frequented by people often, or a room that is scheduled to be cold most of the time, or has a simple schedule ?

As the motor is by far and away the largest use of power (by orders of magnitude over the electronics) I would say that battery life is inversely proportional to how often and how far the motor has to turn the valve.

A room that has many set points, or is subject to a lot of outside influences (doors being opened and closed, people entering and leaving, heat producing sources like Televisions etc) would tend to have to turn the valve more often so would have shorter lifetimes.

So far one zone (living room) lasted me about a year and a half before I started get intermittent low battery warnings in the fault log, and the remaining zones have now been in place just over a year and no warnings yet with 2 bars still shown on the HR92's. (Not that the 3 bar battery indicator is worth much!)

Comment

• HenGus
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • May 2014

When I say little use, I am referring to the opening and closing off the HR92. I have two rooms one, of which, sits above a wood burning stove and the other over a gas boiler where the tempature rarely falls to the low set point. Batteries in these zones are now more than 2 1/2 years old. Zones that have continued use; i.e., people opening doors etc need batteries changing every 18 months. I agree that HR92 motor use is the biggest drain on battery life.

Comment

• sandyman
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Mar 2016

where is your sensor relative to the controller and is there any thing metal in the way that could cause RF grief (e.g. the cylinder) ? Mine was installed at ceiling height above and just to the side of the cylinder, with the controller on the floor below . I was also getting intermittent sensor drops, changed batteries etc, no difference . Then I tried to work out line of sight between the sensor and controller, I figured the cylinder was at least partially in the way. So I moved the sensor to the other side of the airing cupboard and to floor level (it doesn't need to be anywhere near the cylinder if the stat wire is long enough) and have not had the issue since, (touch wood).

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

Besides changing to the wifi evohome controller, nothing else changed. In fact the new controller went in exactly where the old one was mounted. Old one never lost a connection to any of the Relay boxes or the Hot water controller. New one constantly drops and reconnects about 20mins later.

I would love to know what the fail safe procedure is during a lost connection.

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Besides changing to the wifi evohome controller, nothing else changed. In fact the new controller went in exactly where the old one was mounted. Old one never lost a connection to any of the Relay boxes or the Hot water controller. New one constantly drops and reconnects about 20mins later.

I would love to know what the fail safe procedure is during a lost connection.
                              For 15 months, I had no issues with the old controller. The wifi model is wall-mounted in exactly the same place as the old controller was and it is now reporting HW comms sensor issues. I have given Evohome tech copies of the fault log, MAC details etc and the matter has been escalated. I await a response with particular reference to what happens if the sensor fails during an ON period when the water is heating? Hopefully, the default position is that the HW BDR 91 shuts off HW heating until sensor information is again available (i.e.; a fail safe design).

Comment

Working...
                              X