Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome has suddenly started dropping connection to HW sensor

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I have had to change the batteries more often in zones that have very little use. My longest lastin batteries were I think in a zone that has maximum use.
    What do you mean by little use ?

Do you mean a room that is not frequented by people often, or a room that is scheduled to be cold most of the time, or has a simple schedule ?

As the motor is by far and away the largest use of power (by orders of magnitude over the electronics) I would say that battery life is inversely proportional to how often and how far the motor has to turn the valve.

A room that has many set points, or is subject to a lot of outside influences (doors being opened and closed, people entering and leaving, heat producing sources like Televisions etc) would tend to have to turn the valve more often so would have shorter lifetimes.

So far one zone (living room) lasted me about a year and a half before I started get intermittent low battery warnings in the fault log, and the remaining zones have now been in place just over a year and no warnings yet with 2 bars still shown on the HR92's. (Not that the 3 bar battery indicator is worth much!)

Automated Home Legend

When I say little use, I am referring to the opening and closing off the HR92. I have two rooms one, of which, sits above a wood burning stove and the other over a gas boiler where the tempature rarely falls to the low set point. Batteries in these zones are now more than 2 1/2 years old. Zones that have continued use; i.e., people opening doors etc need batteries changing every 18 months. I agree that HR92 motor use is the biggest drain on battery life.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    My evohome wifi has suddenly started dropping connection to the HW sensor. I acknowledge the error message and after some time it will reestablish the connection again. Nothing has really changed that I can point to as causing this issue.

Also unlike the other zone disconnect messages that simply sit in the error log this one is a nice big one on the front screen. The app should really have a method to poll these error messages.

Any clues as to what and why suddenly?
    where is your sensor relative to the controller and is there any thing metal in the way that could cause RF grief (e.g. the cylinder) ? Mine was installed at ceiling height above and just to the side of the cylinder, with the controller on the floor below . I was also getting intermittent sensor drops, changed batteries etc, no difference . Then I tried to work out line of sight between the sensor and controller, I figured the cylinder was at least partially in the way. So I moved the sensor to the other side of the airing cupboard and to floor level (it doesn't need to be anywhere near the cylinder if the stat wire is long enough) and have not had the issue since, (touch wood).

Automated Home Legend

Besides changing to the wifi evohome controller, nothing else changed. In fact the new controller went in exactly where the old one was mounted. Old one never lost a connection to any of the Relay boxes or the Hot water controller. New one constantly drops and reconnects about 20mins later.

I would love to know what the fail safe procedure is during a lost connection.

Automated Home Legend

Besides changing to the wifi evohome controller, nothing else changed. In fact the new controller went in exactly where the old one was mounted. Old one never lost a connection to any of the Relay boxes or the Hot water controller. New one constantly drops and reconnects about 20mins later.

I would love to know what the fail safe procedure is during a lost connection.
    For 15 months, I had no issues with the old controller. The wifi model is wall-mounted in exactly the same place as the old controller was and it is now reporting HW comms sensor issues. I have given Evohome tech copies of the fault log, MAC details etc and the matter has been escalated. I await a response with particular reference to what happens if the sensor fails during an ON period when the water is heating? Hopefully, the default position is that the HW BDR 91 shuts off HW heating until sensor information is again available (i.e.; a fail safe design).

Automated Home Sr Member

I'm a layman, and not well versed in these things, but it seems to me that a dedicated repeater for the evoHome RF protocol on 868Mhz would, in all probability, solve a number of problems.

Clearly it would be best if Honeywell were to produce its own RF protocol 868Mhz repeater.

Failing this there are third party 868Mhz repeaters available, has anyone had any success with them?

FB

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    For 15 months, I had no issues with the old controller. The wifi model is wall-mounted in exactly the same place as the old controller was and it is now reporting HW comms sensor issues. I have given Evohome tech copies of the fault log, MAC details etc and the matter has been escalated. I await a response with particular reference to what happens if the sensor fails during an ON period when the water is heating? Hopefully, the default position is that the HW BDR 91 shuts off HW heating until sensor information is again available (i.e.; a fail safe design).
    I too have these Hot Water sensor comms errors popping up and blocking the whole screen. Was meaning to ask if this was acknowledged to be a battery problem, but now it seems there could be a bug if several people are getting this? Or could it be we all purchased our EvoHome systems around the same time and it's time for new batteries?

Automated Home Legend

Batteries changed a couple of months ago so that isn't the problem in my case.

Automated Home Legend

Batteries are definitely not the issue because mine are fresh and checked and fully charged.
    The big error message disappears when it reconnects.

Also my system drops a connection to the HW sensor as well as the CH/HW actuators. But the most common is the HW sensor.

All other comms is fine to both the HR80s and the OpenTherm module.

Automated Home Guru

Batteries are definitely not the issue because mine are fresh and checked and fully charged.
    The big error message disappears when it reconnects.

Also my system drops a connection to the HW sensor as well as the CH/HW actuators. But the most common is the HW sensor.

All other comms is fine to both the HR80s and the OpenTherm module.
    So far, I've only had the HW Sensor errors, and only (that I've noticed) in the past few weeks. Frustrating if this some weird bug!?