Thread: Distributing MCE around House over Cat5e

Automated Home Jr Member trevorjdaniel's Avatar

Default Distributing MCE around House over Cat5e

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to enable me to share a Windows Media Centre PC around a house over Cat5e.

The scenario is...

The client has a central Media Centre in his study. Around his house, he has a number of Plasmas and he wants to be able to access the Media Centre on all these screens.

The Media Centre has DVI & VGA out as well as audio out. The Media Centre is controlled either by a IR hand controller or an IR based combined keyboard/mouse.

So, my question is, can the Kat5 system be used to share this Media Centre around the house to multiple locations?

Can it cope with the IR that is sent by the Media Centre remote control?

Can this all be fed over Cat5e and converted back to the correct connection that a plasma would need?

Many thanks

Trevor

Default Re: Distributing MCE around House over Cat5e

Hi Trevor,

I dont have an MCE machine so cant personally vouch for the IR but I think some other KAT5 users are using it successfully.

I dont have a DVI or VGA product though so you would need to fit a video card that gave an S-Video output if you wanted to use KAT5

Regards

Keith

Automated Home Jr Member trevorjdaniel's Avatar

Default Re: Distributing MCE around House over Cat5e

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not really an IR expert. But is there any further information that I can find out that would help decide if the IR will or won't work?

Thanks

Trevor