Thread: Regarding Low Latency Lighting

Automated Home Lurker

Default Regarding Low Latency Lighting

Hi,
    I'm at the planning stage prior to beginning a (mostly) DIY HA project. From the beginning I've assumed I'd go with z-wave for lighting control However, I'm reassessing the merits of this and would appreciate the views of others more experienced with real-life merits of lighting controls.

The main things concerning me is that I want to avoid:

* Unacceptable delay between entering a room and lights turning on
    * Lights coming on in a rippling cascade unless that's a requirement of a scene

Is this unavoidable if using wireless lighting control? What options do I have to avoid switching lag? Some I'm considering are:

* Lutron : This will work but I don't know how their lighting control works. I believe they use powerline and wireless signalling? They also have a hub that I could integrate to from my master hub, which is good.
    * Loxone : I'll need to rewire the house for this right? I don't think this one will fly tbh

A constraint I have is that I don't want to be fundamentally altering the wiring plan of the house. That is, I don't want possible future buyers getting scared by non-standard electrical wiring. That said I am willing to run cables if the scope of that work is relatively limited.

So, how do I go about ensuring my lighting will be free of latency issues?

Regards,
    David

Loxone is also wireless.
    I have a client and 4 zones of his outdoor lighting is controlled wirelessly via three Loxone Air nano modules and one Air LED module. Works very well, and the modules automatically act as repeaters, so if it can't see the signal directly it will automatically route via another module.
    There is virtually no delay from sending a command via the app to turn the light or water fall turning onor off.
    Loxone now do a dimming nano module as well.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog