Thread: Re-install time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re-install time

It seems that my Cortex PC hard disk is suffering from accumulated errors, given that I am getting a lot of random crashes and CHKDSK found a bunch of stuff to clean. Disk surface was good, but I have a new SSD anyway. Went to install and found the DVD drive can't read the disk, got the CD drive cleaner and found the brushes have disintegrated. Went to put install media on USB and found you can't make it bootable from a VM running an a Mac. 'Eck.

Realised that all my backups are all very well for Cortex data and catastrophic failure of a hard drive, but don't really provide an answer to long-term degradation of Windows itself - you can never really know when it degraded to know what backup to use and in this circumstance might as well re-install clean).

So I am looking at creating an up to date slipstream install stick to try and reduce the time taken to get up and running.

1) Am I missing any easier routes (Windows OEM so can't use the Windows repair option)?
    2) Anybody else slipstreamed an install media upto and including the "Convenience rollup" successfully?
    3) Can I simply re-use the install key and lock codes in the Registration backup to get Cortex fully licensed again, or is a key transfer required (it is the same PC)?
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

maybe go to Windows 10, while you're about it - if compatible ?
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 14th September 2016 at 09:58 AM.

Nah, got a legit Win 7 Pro licence, missed the free upgrade Window, not paying 190 - if there is an upgrade (sic) price then Microsoft are doing a good job at hiding it! Will consider Win 10 at the point I refresh the PC that Cortex runs on.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

probably sensible - we're using Win 8.1, and wish we were still with 'XP ... too many panics, 'though it's still going - so, maybe, updates are having a positive effect ...

I considered the upgrade to W10 for the new machine but W7 will continue to get security updates through to 2020 (extended support - January 14, 2020) so didn't see the point especially considering that W10 has a few compatibility issues with the likes of Skype.

I also use to run a copy of Acronis True Image with the image kept on a separate partition of the hard drive but with current broadband speeds and the availability of ISOs (with service packs) I've moved away from that and just chug through the installation. Things get even easier when you throw a USB 3.0 drive and a SSD into the mix
    Last edited by Nad; 18th September 2016 at 10:35 PM.

wish the OS people would work more closely with at least the key App providers - Skype, CAD, and other mainstream apps not working following updates is pretty fundamental ... we've been caught out too many times (Windows & OSX & iOS) ... wouldn't be so bad if they were upfront about it, so we could plan, but they behave like apps are not their problem, and customers be dammed !