Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comms Error to Heating Control at exactly the same time everyday

Automated Home Legend

Am sure I read somewhere when I set up my system over 4 years ago that the instructions are to configure the hot water first. Must check the manual.

Automated Home Jr Member

Guilty! I've just looked at the evohome installation guide (2014 edition) and in the "Step 3: Power up & bind devices" the sequence is:
    HR92Rad controllers...
    CS92Wireless Cylinder Stat...
    BDR91 to control boiler...
    R8810OpenTherm Bridge...
    BDR91to control Zone Valve...
    HR80Radiator Controller...
    HCE80 or HCC80...Underfloor heating controller...
    HM80Mixing Valve Controller

When I replaced my old evotouch controller with the new one, I prepared a scheme of work:
    Remove all rad valves.
    Replace batteries in all Rad Valves and unbind
    Unbind 2 x BDR91 (Boiler and Hot water)
    Replace batteries in Cylinder stat and unbind
    Replace batteries in 3x DTS92 and unbind

I then followed the guided configuration on the new controller - but must have, somewhere along the line, made an error, because on completion, although everything seemed to work and all RF tests were good, about 6 hours later I got my first "Comms Fault - Boiler Relay."

I then had a few days of problems and didn't record in detail my actions, but by and large it involved rebinding either the boiler relay and/or the hot water relay and/or the cylinder stat in various - and I must admit, increasingly frustrated combinations and sequences. I had to wait approx 6 hours between each rebind to see if the comms fault reappeared - and it was only after reading wonky's contribution that I has success.

So... only myself to blame, but maybe the importance of "hot water before boiler" should be better highlighted.

Automated Home Legend

It has all come back to me! It’s a mistake I remember I made back in December 2014. I then started from scratch again with a clean slate and followed the instructions line by line. Richard from The Evohome Shop had produced a better guidance, probably still somewhere in this forum, which was/is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    It has all come back to me! It’s a mistake I remember I made back in December 2014. I then started from scratch again with a clean slate and followed the instructions line by line. Richard from The Evohome Shop had produced a better guidance, probably still somewhere in this forum, which was/is very helpful.
    Nice to see some of my old material being referenced!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Any chance of a link to the guidance G4HRL mentions please? Started trawling Evohome Shop's 478 posts... but, well, it may take a long time!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    It has stood the test of time. One failing with Evohome is not Evohome itself but the customer. We rush at getting things done, we overlook the detail, we play with it and don’t let it do it’s stuff. I wonder how many, me included did not initially make sure of that 30cm separation for the BDRs, overlooked the sequence in configuring. Over the past 4 years these sort of issues have commonly arisen and the forum has been the source of resolution, indeed from many who have learned the hard way. There is though one failing and that I think is the instruction manual itself. It is not that is giving wrong information, it is just that whoever wrote it did not think of clarity, did not think of the end user.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
    Any chance of a link to the guidance G4HRL mentions please? Started trawling Evohome Shop's 478 posts... but, well, it may take a long time!
    I cannot find it here either. I am sure it was early December 2014 but the records here only go back to 31/12/2014.

Automated Home Lurker

I have exactly the same messages and problems
    Was the guide ever found or the link re published?

Automated Home Legend

It was The Evohome Shop who produced it and hopefully they will add it to this post.

Automated Home Lurker

Fingers crossed they will, at the moment I’m wondering whether I invested in the right system by going with the eco home, it seems a bit flaky a lot of the time. I at least made sure the CH relay and HW relays were at least 30cm apart but the binding process seems very hit and miss and the battery life of the controller when it’s not sat in the dock is only around 10 minutes before it gives the low battery message