• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
    Nice to see some of my old material being referenced!
    It has stood the test of time. One failing with Evohome is not Evohome itself but the customer. We rush at getting things done, we overlook the detail, we play with it and don’t let it do it’s stuff. I wonder how many, me included did not initially make sure of that 30cm separation for the BDRs, overlooked the sequence in configuring. Over the past 4 years these sort of issues have commonly arisen and the forum has been the source of resolution, indeed from many who have learned the hard way. There is though one failing and that I think is the instruction manual itself. It is not that is giving wrong information, it is just that whoever wrote it did not think of clarity, did not think of the end user.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Tractorboy View Post
      Any chance of a link to the guidance G4HRL mentions please? Started trawling Evohome Shop's 478 posts... but, well, it may take a long time!
      I cannot find it here either. I am sure it was early December 2014 but the records here only go back to 31/12/2014.

Comment

• Manorside
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Dec 2018

I have exactly the same messages and problems
        Was the guide ever found or the link re published?

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

It was The Evohome Shop who produced it and hopefully they will add it to this post.

Comment

• Manorside
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Dec 2018

Fingers crossed they will, at the moment I’m wondering whether I invested in the right system by going with the eco home, it seems a bit flaky a lot of the time. I at least made sure the CH relay and HW relays were at least 30cm apart but the binding process seems very hit and miss and the battery life of the controller when it’s not sat in the dock is only around 10 minutes before it gives the low battery message

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Manorside View Post
              Fingers crossed they will, at the moment I’m wondering whether I invested in the right system by going with the eco home, it seems a bit flaky a lot of the time. I at least made sure the CH relay and HW relays were at least 30cm apart but the binding process seems very hit and miss and the battery life of the controller when it’s not sat in the dock is only around 10 minutes before it gives the low battery message
              I have been using it for over 4 years and find it fine. It just works. I had initial problems when I first installed it in December 2014 but they were really my own errors. Similar to the issues you recount. I did not read the installation instructions properly. Having said that I think they could be much clearer

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Manorside View Post
                When I tested mine a couple of years ago it would run for 3 hours off the dock before any low battery warning and another 3 hours complaining about low battery before it actually shut down.

10 minutes is not normal. Are you sure the batteries aren't faulty ? How long have you had the system ?

Comment

• Manorside
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Dec 2018

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I think I finally have the system working with no more boiler relay error messages. I tried calling Honeywell technical help line a couple of times and the ‘experts’ kept telling me that they had never heard of this problem before, finally I talked to someone who had seen the problem before and he talked me through unbinding and rebinding both the hot water and the boiler relays. Touch wood it seems to have worked !
                  The system was bought in early 2017 but not commissioned until summer 2018.
                  I might try buying some new good quality AA rechargeable batteries, hopefully they will last a lot longer.
                  My Plumber over ordered the kit and I’m left with a generation2 wi fi hub and controller and a hot water kit that is surplus and unused, I guess I’ll put them on eBay and try to recoup a few pounds !

Comment

• Tractorboy
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2015

Apart from the rechargeables in the controller, don’t use rechargeable batteries in Evohome equipment. Use good quality alkaline batteries eg Duracell or Energiser - or even Lithium cells. I replace them all during the Autumn half term every year, in preparation for the heating system’s busy time of year. I shop around online and can buy branded cells in bulk for around the same price as own brand types bought in twos and fours in the supermarket. The used cells go into a container for reuse in less critical equipment like toys, trashy Christmas lights etc. It’s a much more efficient use of my time and, because it’s done at a time of my choosing rather than at several random times through the year, I can do it methodically rather than in a rush at a probably inconvenient time. Note that you need to tell the system (via the controller’s installer menu) which type of batteries you are using in Evo rad valves.

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Tractorboy View Post
                      Apart from the rechargeables in the controller, don’t use rechargeable batteries in Evohome equipment. Use good quality alkaline batteries eg Duracell or Energiser - or even Lithium cells.
                      I agree, avoid rechargeables. Their voltage is often slightly less. I change mine once a year. Have a diary note to remind me. I use the Industrial batteries, orange colour, which I buy in bulk from Amazon. They are in fact Duracells but cheaper.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

I'm using Lithium for all the HR9s2 now. You can pick up Energizers for a fairly reasonable price if you buy in bulk.

Comment

• Tractorboy
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Nov 2015

Lithium here too!

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                          I'm using Lithium for all the HR9s2 now. You can pick up Energizers for a fairly reasonable price if you buy in bulk.
                          I replaced all rad valve batteries with Lithiums last October. As I mentioned earlier, I usually replace batteries en mass in Autumn half term - but I'm going to see it I can get 2 years from these. If so, they will be cost effective compared with alkalines which usually give up after about 15-20 months in my experience, so long as I continue to go for bulk buying as you suggest. The main thing for me is to avoid having to drop everything and replace batteries one valve at a time every few months.

Comment

• dty
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Aug 2016

The biggest challenge is actually knowing that they need replacing! Unless you happen to glance at the controller screen, or the HR92 display, you have no way of knowing. It would be nice if Honeywell's servers emailed you to tell you!

(That said, because I monitor all the radio traffic, I decode the battery level data and do get email notifications!)

Comment

• rarrarrar
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by dty View Post
                              The biggest challenge is actually knowing that they need replacing! Unless you happen to glance at the controller screen, or the HR92 display, you have no way of knowing. It would be nice if Honeywell's servers emailed you to tell you!

(That said, because I monitor all the radio traffic, I decode the battery level data and do get email notifications!)
                              Agree , I get the Fault log on the controller complaining about low voltage batteries even though the HR92 is showing 1 or 2 bars and the off load voltage is 1.2 volts.
                              Found the original Alkalines lasted 15/24 months ; have replaced them with lithiums bought loose at a decent price.
                              I did remember to change the battery type on the HR92 !

Comment

Working...
                              X