X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Well, I have taken the plunge and ordered the Dot. Does it recognise more than one voice?

Following on from another discussion about non-techy partners, has anyone managed to train them to use Alexa to turn the heating up?

Comment

• MichaelD
      Automated Home Guru
      • Mar 2006

Mavis, The Dot will recognise everyone's voice equally well. In our case, that is only about 70% of the time. I think Amazon has translated the dialect to UK English, but hasn't changed the vocabulary, so with kettle being a word rarely used in the US, Alexa is very poor at recognising when I want the kettle on. And many UK users have found that Alexa thinks lounge is something we do, not something we want to illuminate, so she gets confused in there. But i really don't want to rename 'lounge' to 'living room' as others have done

Comment

• Mavis
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
        Mavis, The Dot will recognise everyone's voice equally well. In our case, that is only about 70% of the time. I think Amazon has translated the dialect to UK English, but hasn't changed the vocabulary, so with kettle being a word rarely used in the US, Alexa is very poor at recognising when I want the kettle on. And many UK users have found that Alexa thinks lounge is something we do, not something we want to illuminate, so she gets confused in there. But i really don't want to rename 'lounge' to 'living room' as others have done
        Thanks MichaelD. The Dot arrives on Wednesday and I can't wait to play with it.
        Though 'Dottie' will have her work cut out once I introduce her to my hubby - he has a strong Italian accent with a Geordie twang!

Comment

• MichaelD
          Automated Home Guru
          • Mar 2006

One of the great things about the dot is that it runs on the cloud, and Amazon keep improving their service. So, for example, we live in Poulton-le-Fylde, which Alexa thought was 'Poulton lefield', which was irritating, but suddenly she has started to pronounce it 'Poulton lee fylde', which is much better. Maybe when she learns French, she will pronounce 'le' correctly, but there are lots of people that live here that pronounce it 'lee'.

Not sure when Alexa will be able to take on Italian with a Geordie twang, Why Eye Man will definitely confuse her

Comment

Working...
          X