Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome has suddenly started dropping connection to HW sensor

Automated Home Legend

Default Evohome has suddenly started dropping connection to HW sensor

My evohome wifi has suddenly started dropping connection to the HW sensor. I acknowledge the error message and after some time it will reestablish the connection again. Nothing has really changed that I can point to as causing this issue.

Also unlike the other zone disconnect messages that simply sit in the error log this one is a nice big one on the front screen. The app should really have a method to poll these error messages.

Any clues as to what and why suddenly?

Automated Home Legend

I have had a similar issue - see my posting under Boiler Relay - Comms Fauly

Automated Home Lurker

Same to me. First i thought the batteries are empty. Some were low, but still working. Changed nearly on all Thermostates (I have 11) batteries. Worked for one week. Yesterday I saw a communication loss in two or three rooms (one with 2 thermostates). As I know this, I made a siganl test on the thermostat. I worked not for all. One thermostat did not show the siganl strength on the display. After a while, it worked. At the moment I have a loss in two rooms.
    Did not know whats wrong. Did Honeywell change the software on the main device? The controller?

Automated Home Guru

I too have a similar problem.

My Evohome wifi has suddenly, since earlier this month, started dropping connection to a particular HR92. It shouldn't be a battery issue as the system is less than 12 months old and Evohome claim a 2 year battery life.

If it was a battery problem I would expect a battery low reminder visible on both the radiator controller screen and the evohome controller screen. There are no such reminders all my HR92s show at least 2 bars on their displays.

Nevertheless I swapped the batteries between the problem HR92 and one which has been working OK, but this has not solved the problem.

In practice how long do batteries last in HR92s, and when the time comes to change them, what please are the best replacements. Presumably not an off the shelf battery, as it has to operate in a fairly hot enviornment when the radiator valve is open.

I note Richard is listing Duracell Industrial 1.5V Alkaline Batteries on his website, so I guess they are probably the answer.

FB
    Last edited by FullBore; 31st August 2016 at 09:35 PM. Reason: To make reference to Duracell Industrial 1.5V Alkaline Batteries

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FullBore View Post
    I too have a similar problem.

My Evohome wifi has suddenly, since earlier this month, started dropping connection to a particular HR92. It shouldn't be a battery issue as the system is less than 12 months old and Evohome claim a 2 year battery life.

If it was a battery problem I would expect a battery low reminder visible on both the radiator controller screen and the evohome controller screen. There are no such reminders all my HR92s show at least 2 bars on their displays.

Nevertheless I swapped the batteries between the problem HR92 and one which has been working OK, but this has not solved the problem.

In practice how long do batteries last in HR92s, and when the time comes to change them, what please are the best replacements. Presumably not an off the shelf battery, as it has to operate in a fairly hot enviornment when the radiator valve is open.

I note Richard is listing Duracell Industrial 1.5V Alkaline Batteries on his website, so I guess they are probably the answer.

FB
    Some of my original HR92 batteries lasted over 2 years. Battery life very much depends on the configuration of each zone. For example, I have HR92s in zones/rooms that get very little use so the temperature tends not to vary that much; conversely, in rooms such as my lounge, kitchen and living room HR92 batteries lasted only about 18 months. That said, I did get an indication of end of battery life - either on the screen or in the fault log. Remember, as batteries come to the end of their lives, they tend to lose then regain contact with the controller.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    My evohome wifi has suddenly started dropping connection to the HW sensor. I acknowledge the error message and after some time it will reestablish the connection again. Nothing has really changed that I can point to as causing this issue.

Also unlike the other zone disconnect messages that simply sit in the error log this one is a nice big one on the front screen. The app should really have a method to poll these error messages.

Any clues as to what and why suddenly?
    I have had another loss of comms to the HW sensor. Looking through the log, the faults only occur when HW is OFF and, in both the recent cases, they outage has lasted exactly 50 minutes.

I have spoken to Evohome Tech. The guy I spoke to told me that he wasn't familiar with Evohome but he diligently took down all the details, and told me that he would escalate the issue. Can I urge anyone else who has this problem to call Evohome Tech.

I have asked for clarity on what will happen if the controller calls for heat to the HW and there is a loss of comms to the sensor?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Some of my original HR92 batteries lasted over 2 years. Battery life very much depends on the configuration of each zone. For example, I have HR92s in zones/rooms that get very little use so the temperature tends not to vary that much; conversely, in rooms such as my lounge, kitchen and living room HR92 batteries lasted only about 18 months. That said, I did get an indication of end of battery life - either on the screen or in the fault log. Remember, as batteries come to the end of their lives, they tend to lose then regain contact with the controller.
    I have had to change the batteries more often in zones that have very little use. My longest lastin batteries were I think in a zone that has maximum use.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I have had to change the batteries more often in zones that have very little use. My longest lastin batteries were I think in a zone that has maximum use.
    So be it. I have seen reports of batteries only lasting 3 months when HR92s are used in a commercial setting. It has to be down to the number of HR92 cycles.
    Last edited by HenGus; 1st September 2016 at 11:41 AM.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I have spoken to Evohome Tech. The guy I spoke to told me that he wasn't familiar with Evohome but he diligently took down all the details, and told me that he would escalate the issue. Can I urge anyone else who has this problem to call Evohome Tech.
    I presume this is where one should raise these issues:-

http://www.honeywelluk.com/professio...nical-Support/

FB

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FullBore View Post
    I presume this is where one should raise these issues:-

http://www.honeywelluk.com/professio...nical-Support/

FB
    I called Honeywell on 0300 130 1299.

The email address on the website is getconnecteduk@honeywell.com