• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • odin444
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2016

Honeywell evohome zoning issues

Hi

I've had the evohome system installed and am currently using 4 radiator valve heads (HR92) to create 4 separate zones in the kitchen, living room, bathroom and nursery. All the valves work and are turning on their respective zones. The strange issue I'm having is whenever I turn on any zone that 'ISN'T' the living room, the living room will also turn itself on and can't be switched off unless you turn the zone off that was turned on originally.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or might know a fix.

Thanks
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

That sounds rather odd.

When you say the Living room comes on when any other zone is scheduled to be on, do you just mean that the radiator gets hot (when it shouldn't) or does the actual reported set point on the Living Room HR92's display also change in response to changes in other zones ?

If it's only the former, I would say that your HR92 is not screwed onto the valve properly and is unable to actually shut the valve properly, thus the radiator gets hot any time the boiler is running. Possibly a seized valve body if it is old, or perhaps a valve that is not fully compatible with the HR92. (Pin length/dimensions etc)

If the valve is a bit seized setting "STROKE" to 1 in the config menu will make it close the valve harder, which may help. If this helps then you're probably best to have the valve body replaced with one that is better / more compatible, like the Honeywell Valencia, otherwise you'll get reduced battery life and might still have problems with temperature overshoots.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 19 September 2016, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• odin444
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      That sounds rather odd.

When you say the Living room comes on when any other zone is scheduled to be on, do you just mean that the radiator gets hot (when it shouldn't) or does the actual reported set point on the Living Room HR92's display also change in response to changes in other zones ?

If it's only the former, I would say that your HR92 is not screwed onto the valve properly and is unable to actually shut the valve properly, thus the radiator gets hot any time the boiler is running. Possibly a seized valve body if it is old, or perhaps a valve that is not fully compatible with the HR92. (Pin length/dimensions etc)

If the valve is a bit seized setting "STROKE" to 1 in the config menu will make it close the valve harder, which may help. If this helps then you're probably best to have the valve body replaced with one that is better / more compatible, like the Honeywell Valencia, otherwise you'll get reduced battery life and might still have problems with temperature overshoots.
      Thanks DBMandrake

The valve looked like it was sitting properly but as soon as you mentioned the the HR92 remaining unchanged, I just took the whole thing off and attached it again. Although it looked fine and was turning the radiator on when used, as mentioned, it must not have been sat on the valve quite right as it all seems to be working fine now

Massive thanks for that, saved me resetting the whole system and starting again from scratch

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Glad that sorted it. The recommended way to fit an HR92 is to wind the black wheel fully anti-clockwise on the white base before you screw the base onto the valve body. If you don't do that it might prevent it being screwed on fully, as you are trying to screw it on against the resistance of the pin. Then when you click the lock on the HR92 itself after a minute it will do a calibration where it winds the valve right in (closed) and then back out. (only if there is a current demand for heat)

The reason it was heating up OK when the Living room zone was scheduled to call for heat is that the HR92 is still able to wirelessly call for heat from the boiler even if its not able to open or close the valve. You could actually sit the HR92 on the floor clicked onto its adaptor but not on the radiator valve at all and it will still cause the boiler to come on. And with no TRV valve fitted the radiator will be fully open. Which is essentially what was happening if it wasn't screwed on properly.
        Last edited by DBMandrake; 20 September 2016, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X