Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome Apple Home Kit - A Fantasy?

Automated Home Jr Member

I've been looking at Home Assistant, looks like it can be used for a lot of things, time will tell.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Agree that we are in a transitional phase in the smart home development. The competition has multiplied but all are based around their own hardware/app. Apps like IFTTT help tie all the threads together and this can be quite successful. This new dawn of connected platforms enabled by HomeKit, SmartThings etc will take it to the next level and potentially remove the manufacturer apps completely (or at least put them in the background) as more manufacturers have wifi devices and open up their APIs

As manufacturers build their products with this type of integration in the forefront it will accelerate the functionality.

Currently devices have been adapted to be connected. For example evohome started life as a multizone heating controller with a black and white user interface. That was the UI. Then it gained colour and a gateway. Then it gained wifi.

The new generation/future devices will be built with connectivity as part of their DNA. For example HomeKit chip as part of the hardware. Like the new Lyric Thermostat.

Automated Home Jr Member

This takes a bit of time and effort to do, but I have Evohome working with Homekit nicely, letting me adjust room temperatures by asking Siri or via the new Home iOS app.

Raspberry Pi + Homebridge (https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge) + homebridge-evohome plugin (https://github.com/luc-ass/homebridge-evohome).

There are pros and cons to this approach compared to the ideal situation which would be Honeywell releasing a native Homekit controller:
    - There's currently a bug in the homebridge-evohome plugin for those with stored hot water systems causing it to crash, hopefully that'll be fixed soon (I tweaked the scripts to fix it and ignore hot water)
    - It relies on access to the Honeywell API over the Internet (same as the app) for connectivity
    - Raspberry Pi is low power and can be used for other things too - homebridge has tons of plugins including one for Domoticz if you're into home automation.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by oshingler View Post
    This takes a bit of time and effort to do, but I have Evohome working with Homekit nicely, letting me adjust room temperatures by asking Siri or via the new Home iOS app.

Raspberry Pi + Homebridge (https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge) + homebridge-evohome plugin (https://github.com/luc-ass/homebridge-evohome).
    Now I know what I'll be tinkering with for the next couple of days.

Automated Home Lurker

Installed homebrdige on OS-X. Everything is running great. It even gives temperatures to the .1 degrees unlike evohome. Handy for debugging things as we have access to the real temperature.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by simonh29 View Post
    Installed homebrdige on OS-X. Everything is running great. It even gives temperatures to the .1 degrees unlike evohome. Handy for debugging things as we have access to the real temperature.
    Thanks for reminding me of this - I had completely forgotten about setting this up.

Quick question - does it only work if your phone is on the same wifi network as the homebridge server or can you use it for remote control as well ?

I have both a Mac running Lion (ancient I know) that runs all the time as a server and a Raspberry Pi also running all the time, which already has Evohome related services like Domoticz running on it - how did you find it to install it on OS X ? I think I'll probably install it on the Raspberry Pi though, as its usually easier to install unix software on Linux than OS X...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 22nd November 2016 at 12:59 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

It's easy to setup on OS-X using these instructions https://github.com/nfarina/homebridg...ebridge-on-OSX.

I don't think the Pi should cause any problems.

It only works when on the LAN. I think the only way to use it outside the home would be to use an iPad with iOS10 or an Apple TV 4th generation to act as a HomeKit hub.

Automated Home Legend

I've got it working on the Raspberry Pi - functionality seems a bit limited at the moment (overrides are only for 10 minutes for example) but it shows the potential of what it could do.

Automated Home Jr Member

Just onboard with Home Assistant, very nice. Don't quite have Homebridge working just yet, but suspect it just needs a bit more tinkering.

Any tips on getting graphs out?

Automated Home Jr Member

I've just got a Google home mini, is evohome capable of working with Google at the moment?