Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    ...loads of stuff...
    ...all of which I completely agree with. I'm a techy, a geek, an early adopter of many things, but at the moment I hang my hat on Apple and Echo integration with Apple calendar, task list, etc. is exactly zero, so I get no benefit from that. And I don't tend to listen to all that much music, so I get very little benefit out of that aspect. And I just don't get people who want to be able to voice control their lights. I turn the lounge lights on when I walk into the room and turn them off when I leave. It seems to me that actually having to walk in and then speak a command which might get misheard is actually MORE work! And, considering something like Philips Hue, what happens when the kids and wife decided to turn them off at the switch (which I've been trying to drill into the kids for years)? Suddenly they don't work because they have no power, so voice controlling them is useless.

It's all a bit of a miss for me, I'm afraid.

Automated Home Guru

just to give the opposite view - I use it as an internet radio and bluetooth speaker. Also controlling my lights (lutron grafik eye) so I can set scenes etc when sitting on my sofa. If I wander over to the kitchen I can get the kitchen lights or under cab lights on. Set timers whilst cooking. I've linked it to yonomi/ifttt so I can trigger multiple events with one command. Turn of lights when I'm in bed or just turn of the bedside lamps. It's linked through to harmony hubs so I have control via IR of audio/tv. The bluetooth is quick to connect to the phone so I find myself listening to podcasts etc on it, haven't used my bose bluetooth speaker in months.

Is it vital ?, is it pefect ?... no...but it was worth it for the internet radio alone and it's changed the way I interact with my house....walking across the room to switch lights on and off is so 20th century.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    walking across the room to switch lights on and off is so 20th century.
    I generally find that I don't want to turn off the lights in a room I'm already in, or turn on the lights in a room I'm not in. So making a simple hand gesture as I enter or exit the room is just fine and never comes with any kind of AI failure or lag, or require a working internet connection.

And, as I said, my wife and kids will do the same hand gesture thing, thereby immediately rendering all home automation useless.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I generally find that I don't want to turn off the lights in a room I'm already in, or turn on the lights in a room I'm not in.
    on and off I kinda agree - but mine is all controlled via scenes - including specific ones for cooking/tv/bright/mellow etc etc

Automated Home Lurker

As a (relatively) early adopter, I can see both sides. I am just using it for Spotify and Philips Hue at the moment and it is fun but does feel quite gimmicky. As I also use Apple Music, I have to unplug the Dot when I want to do use it as it doesn't seem to want to let me use it for that which is a pain! I do like being able to dim the lights without installing a dimmer switch though. I'm sure it will grow in functionality rapidly and when it starts to interact with my solar, smart meter and Nissan Leaf I imagine it will start becoming indispensable.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    .. And, considering something like Philips Hue, what happens when the kids and wife decided to turn them off at the switch (which I've been trying to drill into the kids for years)? Suddenly they don't work because they have no power, so voice controlling them is useless.

It's all a bit of a miss for me, I'm afraid.
    I am thinking of a blanking plate to blank off the light switch in my study to stop people switching off the light. But it's me that does it, decades and decades of habit! Other than that, there is nowt wrong with a switch but for the lights we use more frequently than any other - in the lounge - they come on and go off automatically and if we need to override that the switch is a small hand set by the chair which covers each or all. Evohome of course is also operated sitting down using my iPhone!

However, I have no disabilities (some may differ in their opinion on that!) and I can see that being able to talk to a device to operate lights, heating, the radio and so forth is of great advantage. Those with arthritis in their fingers for example.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Back to the Evohome skill, I couldn't find a way to ask Alexa what the current setpoint of a zone is. But the data is obviously available because if I say "Lower kitchen by one degree" it tells me what the new setpoint is. So I /can/ find the current setpoint if I do a lower followed by an equivalent increase! That seems like a bit of a hack, though.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Back to the Evohome skill, I couldn't find a way to ask Alexa what the current setpoint of a zone is. But the data is obviously available because if I say "Lower kitchen by one degree" it tells me what the new setpoint is. So I /can/ find the current setpoint if I do a lower followed by an equivalent increase! That seems like a bit of a hack, though.
    That's a major reason why I gave up on using the Evohome Echo skill - before I make an adjustment I'd like to know what the current set point and/or measured temperature is, but there is no direct way to find out. So it's easier to just use the iPhone app...

Also lack of 0.5 degree increments and difficulty recognising some zone names.

Automated Home Ninja

Some of this is a restriction of the Alexa API. Home Automation skills (as distinct from other skills, like weather, recipes), have a lot of their language pre-defined by Amazon. I suspect the lack of half-degree support is the same (who needs half degrees when you're working in Fahrenheit, anyway? )

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

If you're using the low level API then yes, I agree. But there's no reason we couldn't ALSO have "Alexa, ask Evohome what temperature Kitchen set to". or indeed "Alexa, ask Evohome what the current Kitchen temperature is".