Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philchillbill
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2017

Well at least you guys are able to actually add the skill. If I try to add it my login credentials for TCC are rejected, even though I can login to TCC myself from outside the skill-enablement portal no problem. Plus, I've noticed that clicking on the link that allows you to first create a TCC account if you haven't done so already behaves differently depending on what browser is being used. The link seems to work ok if it's HTTPS but not HTTP and the HTTP is what's hard-coded into the login-page's HTML !

Comment

• jzwack-honeywell
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by philchillbill View Post
      Well at least you guys are able to actually add the skill. If I try to add it my login credentials for TCC are rejected, even though I can login to TCC myself from outside the skill-enablement portal no problem. Plus, I've noticed that clicking on the link that allows you to first create a TCC account if you haven't done so already behaves differently depending on what browser is being used. The link seems to work ok if it's HTTPS but not HTTP and the HTTP is what's hard-coded into the login-page's HTML !
      It is possible you're seeing the US version of the skill and not the UK version. Can you double check the default country on your Amazon account? We've had a few comments about that. I reached out to Amazon about it.

For those still having the "Device not responding" issues, can you keep sending me PMs with your account info? I believe the problem has reduced since a week or two ago but want to figure out the last nagging few problems.
      developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

I just tried it in Edge and it worked fine. Alexa.amazon.co.uk correctly connected to Honeywell Europe.

Are the regional settings correct on your PC? (Home location, time zone, system locale, etc.) ?

Because Edge will be honouring those, while Chrome will happily do its own thing.

P.

Comment

• philchillbill
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by jzwack-honeywell View Post
          It is possible you're seeing the US version of the skill and not the UK version. Can you double check the default country on your Amazon account? We've had a few comments about that. I reached out to Amazon about it.
          Thanks, that did it. My default country (well hidden in the account area) was indeed the US. As I live in the Netherlands, I could only change to the .DE site as it has a proxy these days in Dutch for NL. I had to completely set up my Dot again from scratch but with language set to German I was able to install the skill. Once it was installed, setting things back to US English for Alexa didn't delete the skill. I've actually ordered stuff in the past from the .COM, the .CO.UK, the .DE and the .FR Amazon domains with no issues, so why I could only choose .DE within the account for a default website experience is strange but workable if you speak several languages

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

So I wonder why Edge and Chrome acted differently.... ?

P.

Comment

• jzwack-honeywell
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2016

I'm waiting to see if I hear anything back from Amazon..
              developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Comment

• philchillbill
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                So I wonder why Edge and Chrome acted differently.... ?
                In the meanwhile, I noticed that having linked my Amazon account to .DE I am also allowed to use the alexa.amazon.CO.UK portal to access Alexa. This means that I could add the UK version of the skill. The overall experience showed me that 3 different named versions of the skill were offered depending on the portal used or the underlying default Amazon domain (with the domain set to .COM I was automatically redirected to .COM even if I manually chose .CO.UK or .DE to attempt to setup Alexa). I saw 'Honeywell Total Connect Comfort' for the US version, 'Honeywell Total Connect Comfort International' for the UK version, plus 'Honeywell Evohome und XYZ Thermostat' (I forget what xyz actually was) for the DE version. I guess this all causes confusion not only for poor end-users like me but also for the developers at Honeywell and Amazon This might mean that if the browser user-agent string is wrongly checked for e.g. Edge vs Chrome, Firefox, Safari or IE then a site-visit is rejected outright to keep robots out. I originally had a US store account from years ago when you could only buy a Kindle in the US store and I guess that setting was lying hidden under all my Amazon interactions since. It's not a parameter they shove in your face every time you buy something (your postal address is what you see and it obviously reflects your home country).

Anyway, if any other mainland Europeans are having issues with the Alexa skill and Evohome then go search in your Amazon account for your registered domain and not just your country of residence and you'll be fine as long as it maps to some European country vs the US.
                Last edited by philchillbill; 24 January 2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• MrB
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Oct 2015

just to note it has now been 1 week with no lost connections - and I'm deliberately using it a couple of times each day.
                  I see from other Evo API usage and logging I have that the Honeywell servers were reset a a couple of times yesterday around midnight and 1am (lost connections for a few minutes).

Comment

• MrB
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Oct 2015

Oh well - didn't last - had to disable/enable Skill again :-(

Comment

• adamski
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Apr 2015

Ditto, failed today and a disable and re-enable sorted it.
                      First time in a couple of weeks though!

Comment

• Rameses
                        Industry Expert
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by adamski View Post
                        Ditto, failed today and a disable and re-enable sorted it.
                        First time in a couple of weeks though!
                        Investigating
                        getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Mavis
                          Automated Home Ninja
                          • Oct 2014

Just checked mine and she is says device is not responding (had been working up to Sunday night though).

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
                            Just checked mine and she is says device is not responding (had been working up to Sunday night though).
                            I have suspended using mine for the present as it just does not do what is asked of it, tells me it can't find rooms which clearly exist and gets confused about what to do. The only part that works well is if I ask it to play the radio.

Comment

• Seljon
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jan 2017

I have just bought an Amazon Dot and have downloaded the Alexa skill for our ecohome system. However, it doesn't find the system. So a rather basic question - do I need the Honeywell internet gateway for this to work? If not, what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance

Comment

• orange
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • Dec 2014

you will need the internet gateway if you have the older version of evohome - the newer wifi version won't need it. You'll also need to have an account on TCC

Honeywell’s Total Connect Comfort delivers comfort, peace of mind and energy efficiency to both homeowners around the world and business owners alike.

as a general rule ALL alexa smart home skills require the device you need to control to be connected to the internet (apart from bluetooth audio, but that's not really a smart home skill)

Comment

Working...
                                X