Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Muzz
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2015

Amazon announced on their developer blog that they're extending the Smart Home Skill API in the US (UK & Germany coming soon) to support the following two scenarios.

A customer requests the temperature value (what it is), for example “Alexa, what’s the temperature inside?”
    A customer requests the temperature setting (what it should be), for example, “Alexa, what’s my thermostat set to?”

Hopefully it means the Evohome skill will be more useful soon, depending on Amazons definition of "coming soon"

Comment

• Muzz
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2015

I'm getting device not responding again, when I try to use the Amazon skill

Comment

• Rameses
        Industry Expert
        • Nov 2014

Mmmm - my personal one is fine (has been for last few weeks) just used it. Our labs devices also no reporting issues
        getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Rameses
          Industry Expert
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Muzz View Post
          Amazon announced on their developer blog that they're extending the Smart Home Skill API in the US (UK & Germany coming soon) to support the following two scenarios.

A customer requests the temperature value (what it is), for example “Alexa, what’s the temperature inside?”
          A customer requests the temperature setting (what it should be), for example, “Alexa, what’s my thermostat set to?”

Hopefully it means the Evohome skill will be more useful soon, depending on Amazons definition of "coming soon"
          Our developers are working on this now
          getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

I am not a fan of Echo at present. I have one but I have parked it in the off position for I could never get it to recognise the right thing asked for, was constantly told I did not have rooms or devices that I did have and it was totally confused if I tried to operate the heating. This after several factory resets and retries. It is good for one thing, if I ask it to say play Classic FM or BBC Radio 2 it always does but that so far is the only thing I have managed to get it to operate properly. A winge! The point of my writing though is that for those of you who use voice control is not Siri just as good if not better?

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Just realised that when I used the Bluetooth speaker function of the Echo Dot yesterday (to send some music from my phone to the stereo) that it was the first time in at least two weeks that anyone had spoken to the Echo, despite it sitting in plain view in the living room. I guess the novelty has worn off for me! Apart from Bluetooth Speaker and Spotify device I'm struggling to find any real use for the device in my life, and I'm one of the biggest tech nerds you can imagine.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Google is so much better at voice recognition than Amazon. Let's see how Google Home fairs when it comes here in June.

Comment

• orange
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Muzz View Post
                  I'm getting device not responding again, when I try to use the Amazon skill
                  I had to reconnect last week again - so still not fixed IMO

Comment

• Rameses
                    Industry Expert
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by gcpeters View Post
                    Hello, got this all working today!

couple of quick questions.

1) is there a list of all the commands that alexa can do?
                    2) How can you stop an override, and default back to schedule. Eg I set lounge to 25, but after 2 hours I want to cancel this. What do I have to say?

thanks

GP
                    1) Check out the FAQ here - smart home integration https://getconnected.honeywell.com/e...mostat_support
                    2) The override will only go to the next schedule change point. You can either - let it run its course, ask alexa to set temp back to what you want it to be, or enable a 'mode', then turn 'mode' off, which will reset everything back to schedule.

Comment

• MrB
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Oct 2015

Just had another Alexa drop. Re-did Skill and all worked again - immediately (ie: 5 secs).
                      Mobile app and everything else was working fine.

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Another skill-drop here.

A bit frustrating that this still isn't sorted. None of my other Alexa integrations keep falling off the air like this.

Comment

• philchillbill
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2017

Alexa was really PMS'ing the last few days. Not recognizing commands on the first try but not saying anything either (just ignoring me) and then doing it just fine second time round. No background noise to explain it, just her being a bit 'off'. She also lost Evohome for a while and needed it reset. Maybe she's upset with me for only asking her for home automation related stuff but never anything else? Do Alexa and Siri and Cortana have feelings? Years ago on the TRS80 I had a Basic program with a female psychologist called Eliza you could ask (typed) simple questions. She had feelings...

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Comment

• victorp1612
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2016

Skill drop happened again this morning ... any progress on a permanent fix ?

Comment

• Rameses
                                Industry Expert
                                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by victorp1612 View Post
                                Skill drop happened again this morning ... any progress on a permanent fix ?
                                Mmmm - mine is still up (around 21 days now). I will sponsor an internal check

Comment

Working...
                                X