Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    Some of this is a restriction of the Alexa API. Home Automation skills (as distinct from other skills, like weather, recipes), have a lot of their language pre-defined by Amazon. I suspect the lack of half-degree support is the same (who needs half degrees when you're working in Fahrenheit, anyway? )
    With my end user hat on instead of my techie hat it doesn't really matter to me why I can't do it - the point is controlling Evohome via Echo has these limitations, regardless of whether it's Honeywell or Amazon to blame.

It's early days so hopefully things will improve, but at the moment I find it more inconvenient and limited to use than just using my iPhone, which is normally never far away, or the controller which is a short distance from any downstairs room due to its central location.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    If you're using the low level API then yes, I agree. But there's no reason we couldn't ALSO have "Alexa, ask Evohome what temperature Kitchen set to". or indeed "Alexa, ask Evohome what the current Kitchen temperature is".
    Very true. And I think that would be a good compromise given the current state of the Alexa API. It would mean installing two skills though, because I don't believe a single skill can do both.

Automated Home Jr Member philchillbill's Avatar

"Raise Livingroom temperature by zero degrees" results in "Setting Livingroom heat to twentythree" (or whatever) so it's a shorter way than first raising by one degree and then lowering again. Still klunky though.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Brilliant! Thanks.

Automated Home Sr Member

@philchillbill

Oh I do love good lateral thinking

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    ironically I must be the only one on this forum who didn't have problems with the Alexa skill dropping the connection - when I checked it yesterday it was still linked and working!
    Quote Originally Posted by philchillbill View Post
    "Raise Livingroom temperature by zero degrees" results in "Setting Livingroom heat to twentythree" (or whatever) so it's a shorter way than first raising by one degree and then lowering again. Still klunky though.
    Drat! Spoke too soon. Went to try the zero degree hack to find the Echo's Honeywell skill has lost its connection to Honeywell...I guess I have to remove and re-add it and set up my zone groups again ?

Automated Home Guru

When I say Alexa turn the Living Room temperature up, it always responds by adding 0.5deg and vice-versa, so is my setup different?

Automated Home Legend

Is your Echo's preferences set to Celsius not Farenheight ? The default for the Echo is Farenheight.

Automated Home Guru

Celsius English UK but I note the Living Room temperature is programmed to be 20.5 and it goes to 21 when I ask for the temperature to be turned up, so is it rounding up, I think so because it does not go to 21.5.

Automated Home Legend

Ah. Sounds more like it is rounding the current figure down to 20 and thus increasing it by 1 to 21 when you ask it to increase. If you start at 20.5 and ask it to reduce the temperature by 1 degree what do you end up with ?