Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    Looking for some help / advice

I have an 11 zone evohome system and managed to connect it to my Echo earlier this week.......happy days !!

Initially I just tested it out with some simple temp set commands but didn't really use in anger.

Went to use it use yesterday and Alexa is telling me the '(Zone) not responding'. I got the same message when I try to set the temp in any zone.

I went in end disabled the skill, re-enabled and refound all the zones.....and the commands were back working

Got up this morning and the '(Zone) not responding' message is back

Wondered if anyone else has encountered this problem and if so how to fix it

Paul
    Same for me. I got my Dot last night and set it up and tested it in the Living Room and it worked fine (simple temp commands). Tried tonight and I got something along the lines of it not being recognised or responding BUT I opened the Evo app and the change had happened.

Automated Home Jr Member

Had the same issue.
    To resolve , had to disable and re-enable the skill.
    After a discovery, I've noticed that HotWater and Eco / Away / Custom modes are available.

'Alexa , turn on the hot water' now works

AlexaEvo.jpg
    Last edited by victorp1612; 24th November 2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: More info

Automated Home Legend

These new gadgets are not good for the bank account! Looks like I need to indulge!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    These new gadgets are not good for the bank account! Looks like I need to indulge!
    Black Friday deal on Echo and Dot today ... just saying :-p

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by victorp1612 View Post
    I have indulged.

Having read what it can do I am sure my wife will find it better as she is no technophile.

Chances are if I peg it she would take out all the wireless operated sockets and lights. Evohome I think she would leave but panic about getting advice on changing settings etc. We probably need a database of Evohome users willing to provide advice to the panicking non technical suddenly faced with having to operate these things. Perhaps Honeywell could give this some thought. Not a database of installers but those who are familiar with the product and able to help out. There are plenty in this forum who I am sure would put their names down for such. We forget there are many who panic at the thought of all these remote operating systems. If we are going to play with our gadgets we owe it to ourselves and families to have some sort of free backup advice panel.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    I have indulged.

Having read what it can do I am sure my wife will find it better as she is no technophile.

Chances are if I peg it she would take out all the wireless operated sockets and lights. Evohome I think she would leave but panic about getting advice on changing settings etc. We probably need a database of Evohome users willing to provide advice to the panicking non technical suddenly faced with having to operate these things. Perhaps Honeywell could give this some thought. Not a database of installers but those who are familiar with the product and able to help out. There are plenty in this forum who I am sure would put their names down for such. We forget there are many who panic at the thought of all these remote operating systems. If we are going to play with our gadgets we owe it to ourselves and families to have some sort of free backup advice panel.
    If it helps, my wife thinks that evohome and alexa are two of (if not "the") best gadgets I have ever bought. She uses them all the time now.

With regard to the helpful folk, just leave them notes of the web adresses of where to find people - i.e. this forum and others like it (diynot etc). If anyone signed up here and posted stating that they were in need of help figuring out how to work evohome after their husband had passed, im sure there would be no end of volunteers to assist online - plus you wouldn't have the worry of inviting a stranger round to the home knowing full well they are on their own....

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by victorp1612 View Post
    I have been waiting for a Dot. Got one! Don't really need the Echo. Let's see how I get on.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cchris View Post
    If it helps, my wife thinks that evohome and alexa are two of (if not "the") best gadgets I have ever bought. She uses them all the time now.

With regard to the helpful folk, just leave them notes of the web adresses of where to find people - i.e. this forum and others like it (diynot etc). If anyone signed up here and posted stating that they were in need of help figuring out how to work evohome after their husband had passed, im sure there would be no end of volunteers to assist online - plus you wouldn't have the worry of inviting a stranger round to the home knowing full well they are on their own....
    A good point with respect to people calling but there will be a way around that.

The forum is an excellent source of help but many will be in awe of contacting it for fear of things being too technical. We have a society today that is forgetting there are many not so young people who have no technical knowledge, don't have a computer and if they do only use it for basic things. Widows and widowers will be appearing in times to come at a loss about what to do and I am well aware that many when bereavement suddenly hits can panic. Yes Echo looks easy to operate and Evohome is but with the latter I am sure my wife would not know where to start if she needed to rebind the relays etc. and there are few Evohome installers around, none near me, she could call on. It is not something you can ask your next door neighbour to help with. People put off making proper plans and arrangements for when they peg it. 95% of the population will say they know what they want to happen to their estates when they die but only 48% have made a will. People avoid talking about death and certainly don't contemplate leaving instructions. It is where a friendly user of the product can be of tremendous help. And at a time that could be a worrying and difficult one.

Now how do I explain to my wife next week that when I start talking to Alexa I have not lost my marbles?

I knew you couldn't resist G4RHL I have just bought 2 more!

Hubby was relatively impressed (in that he still thinks all the tech is a waste of time but I am paying for it so it is ok). He has just walked in the room and asked Alexa how she is. And Alexa understands him (thick Italian/Geordie accent!) so I am impressed.

I am thinking of writing down key phrases for him - specifically to turn the heating up and down.

I have only had it set up for a couple of days so need more time to play - I added Evohome first and it worked but then added my Hue, SmartThings and LWRF but Alexa got confused about my Living Room so I took everything off again and only added Evohome again. I want to keep the room names the same on Evo so I think I need to have a think about renaming everything else.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I knew you couldn't resist G4RHL I have just bought 2 more!

Hubby was relatively impressed (in that he still thinks all the tech is a waste of time but I am paying for it so it is ok). He has just walked in the room and asked Alexa how she is. And Alexa understands him (thick Italian/Geordie accent!) so I am impressed.

I am thinking of writing down key phrases for him - specifically to turn the heating up and down.

I have only had it set up for a couple of days so need more time to play - I added Evohome first and it worked but then added my Hue, SmartThings and LWRF but Alexa got confused about my Living Room so I took everything off again and only added Evohome again. I want to keep the room names the same on Evo so I think I need to have a think about renaming everything else.
    What about using English for say Living Room and other Evohome zones and Italian for Living Room Hue lights etc.?

Yes, I could not resist and my Dot is en route to me. Nice that it can change connect via Bluetooth to devices - my Bose SoundTouch for example and to get back to this forum, it ought to be easier operating Evohome. In a sense it seems to be the beginning of one device that can be used to control many automated things without having to do around the iPhone for the relevant app.