Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Automated Home Jr Member

I don't want to speak for Amazon on what they are doing or what work needs done.

However, whenever you attempt to speak half degrees to Alexa, I am being sent values other than what I say. For instance if I speak "22.5" to my Alexa, the skill is sent "1".

If the skill were sent half degree numbers, it could handle it.
    developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi,
    as Alexa's maths capability stretches to floating point numbers, it seemed bizarre that one was not able to set a temperature using a float (sorry too much programming) 'decimal'.

I had assumed {very dangerous I know) the decoded text was passed to the skill to handle. I haven't dug into skills yet, the Raspberry Pi development platform in the UK is fairly crippled. Only half the features operate and it insists it's in the US. It seemed like the skill may have missed out decimals, from your feedback though clearly not the case.

One reason for looking into all this other than its extremely good, my father is going blind and Alexa could really help out as he gets on.

I have filled in plenty of feedback to Amazon though no response to date. Is there someone to bug at Amazon perhaps?

Thanks again, looking forward to some great fun and a very useful tool that will actually save some money and perhaps a little towards saving the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by jzwack-honeywell View Post
    I don't want to speak for Amazon on what they are doing or what work needs done.

However, whenever you attempt to speak half degrees to Alexa, I am being sent values other than what I say. For instance if I speak "22.5" to my Alexa, the skill is sent "1".

If the skill were sent half degree numbers, it could handle it.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conseils View Post
    Hi,
    as Alexa's maths capability stretches to floating point numbers, it seemed bizarre that one was not able to set a temperature using a float (sorry too much programming) 'decimal'.
    When working with temperatures, Alexa always uses C units. So for the US, and changing F temps I always send and receive C units from Alexa.

But to your point, one of the first lines in the code for changing a temperature is
    var adujstmentValue = parseFloat(//variableForPayloadTempHere);
    So if Alexa sends me half degrees I will process half degrees. Right now they are not sending those values.
    developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

IFTTT is now working with UK Alexa.

Not showing as an Alexa skill yet, so for now you need to set it up from the IFTTT end, but it works fine.

P.

Automated Home Legend

The Android and Apple Apps accept 0.5°C (probably API 2.X)
    So my guess at the moment is that the Honeywell version 2 API does indeed take 0.5C, as does the Evohome controller.
    I look forward to Alexa supporting 0.5°C increments, especially now I have 0.1°C room temperature resolution courtesy of the API update earlier this year ;-).
    Psst....

Don't tell anyone, but the Honeywell V2 Web API actually supports setting set points with at least 0.1 degree resolution, for example 21.3 degrees...

You can do this via Domoticz or other custom script that accesses the API. I have not tried the V1 API to see if it can also set sub 0.5 degree increments as Domoticz uses V2.

I have confirmed in the past that the Evohome will actually act on these in between set points in terms of regulating the temperature, although I don't recall whether it still rounds the set point to the nearest 0.5 for display on the screen. (I'm not home just now to check but will check tonight)

The iPhone app will not let you set a value in between 0.5 degree increments but it will display in between set points rounded to the nearest 0.1 degrees - for example if I set a zone to 5.79 in Domoticz the iPhone app reports 5.8 degrees not 6.0.

Returned results from the V1 and V2 API's is interesting - the V2 API will return the full two decimal place resolution for the set point:

Code:
    {'temp': 16.5, 'setpoint': 5.79, 'thermostat': 'EMEA_ZONE', 'name': u'Main Bedroom', 'id': u'1438045'}
    However the V1 API despite having greater resolution for measured temperatures seems to round set points to 0.5 degrees:
    Code:
    {'temp': 16.86, 'setpoint': 6.0, 'thermostat': u'EMEA_ZONE', 'name': u'Main Bedroom', 'id': 1438045}
    So as far as retrieving temperatures and set points from the API's is concerned, for highest resolution it still seems to be best to retrieve the measured temperature from the V1 API and everything else including set point from the V2 API, which is what the Domoticz evo-update.sh script now does.

Interestingly when you make the initial override using Domoticz it displays the set point rounded to 0.1 degrees at first but after the next API check-in to retrieve the actual values from the server it updates to the two decimal place reading returned from the API. This seems to be a function of the Domoticz code rounding its "placeholder" value to the nearest 0.1 degrees. (Looks like some more rounding code in Domoticz that could be removed... )
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 14th December 2016 at 10:47 AM.

The controller certainly supports non 0.5 degree increments.

I sometimes see non 0.5 temps in my zone that uses an HCW82. (Which allows you to set an analogue local override).

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I have been waiting for a Dot. Got one! Don't really need the Echo. Let's see how I get on.
    Add me to the list. Just impulse bought an Echo Dot.

I'm hoping to use it to both integrate with the Evohome (and look forward to configuring groups in particular) and with Spotify so I'll have it plugged into the stereo in the living room semi-permanently. If it can do those two functions well anything else is gravy.

Does anyone know whether the voice response to commands can still be relayed using the built in speaker even if you have something (stereo) connected via the 3.5mm jack for music playback purposes ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 14th December 2016 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Does anyone know whether the voice response to commands can still be relayed using the built in speaker even if you have something (stereo) connected via the 3.5mm jack for music playback purposes ?
    It behaves like most other 3.5mm sockets on equipment, disabling the internal speaker completely.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    It behaves like most other 3.5mm sockets on equipment, disabling the internal speaker completely.
    Bother! My hope was that it could respond to voice commands without having the stereo switched to the Dot but play music through the stereo when I so desired. I'll have to come up with another plan then...

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

P.
    Yes, I can also confirm this - I have one of my Dots connected to a Sonos Connect Amp in the bedroom. It also appears to mess up the volume but that may be more down to user incompetence rather than the Dot itself.

For those interesting in the Sonos setup at the moment, now I have one Dot set up with my Sonos system, I can play music using Alexa on any of my speakers (mixture of Play 1s and Connect Amps) by selecting Line Out on the individual speaker (I find it easier to group them and then ungroup). I have an Alexa remote on order that will make it easier to change tracks once playing.
    Once Sonos is officially compatible next year then it will be much better hopefully.