• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FullBore
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2016

Guest bedroom zones

I have today fitted an HR92 in a guest bedroom & its en-suite bathroom - 2 zones.

I am at a loss how to schedule the heating in both rooms. Some months these
    rooms won't be used at all, but most months I have visitors for maybe 6 -10
    nights a month, not consecutive probably 2 - 4 guests staying for a night or two.

Most of the time I will want both rooms at, say 8 degrees, but when I have guests they need a normal schedule.

How do you address these issues please?

FB
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

If your "guest room empty" schedule only needs to be a constant temperature like 8 degrees then the solution is quite easy.

Program your schedules as if guests were present, then when they are not present, go to those two zones in turn on the controller, set an 8 degree override and choose "permanent" for the type of override instead of a normal timed override.

A permanent override completely overrides a programmed schedule for that zone indefinitely until you explicitly remove it. More importantly, it also persists when you use quick actions like turning the heating off then back on again, whereas a normal timed override is erased by using quick actions.

Alternatively if the HR92's in the zones are set to "OFF" they will also completely ignore the schedule, however doing it this way completely disables the radiator and also disables frost protection and should only be used if a radiator is removed for decorating.

Using a permanent override from the controller is preferable because you can choose any temperature, and even if you set it to the minimum 5 degrees you still get frost protection on those radiators, and the override can be cancelled from the controller without having to visit the HR92's.

If you need a full blown alternative schedule when guests are away rather than just a constant temperature, you are sort of out of luck, short of manually reprogramming the schedules each time.

You could configure the custom profile to apply to only those two zones then program a schedule into that, however you can only have one schedule for all zones affected by the custom profile (so both bedroom and en-suite would have identical schedules in the "guest away" mode) and you could not use the custom schedule in conjunction with other quick action modes such as day off, away, economy etc.

This lack of flexible custom/alternative schedules is a limitation of the Evohome IMHO, hopefully Honeywell add some more flexibility in this regard like fully alternative schedules in different profiles in a future software update.

But for your use, programming your guest schedule then using a permanent 8 degree override when guests are away would seem to fit your need perfectly.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 29 September 2016, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• FullBore
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2016

DBMandrake

Many thanks, an elegant solution, which hadn't occurred to me.

I entirely agreed with you when you say:-

This lack of flexible custom/alternative schedules is a limitation of the Evohome IMHO, hopefully Honeywell
      add some more flexibility in this regard like fully alternative schedules in different profiles in a future software update.
      FB

Comment

• killa47
        Automated Home Guru
        • Jan 2016

I have several zones such as two spare bedrooms plus an ensuite and house bathroom which only require full heating when our extended family come to stay every few weeks or Xmas time etc. When any/all these rooms are in use, I copy the full weekly schedule (or specific daily schedules) from a similar zone (in our case the master bedroom and ensuite). When reverting the sporadic use zones to no or reduced heating, I then copy the weekly or daily schedule from the dining room - which is normally set at 10 deg C (unless actually in use).
        As the controller can have twelve zones, you can either set up a spare "dummy" zone (without a TRV bound in) which you then use to copy across to the sporadic use zones or select a zone with the nearest best match and copy across the weekly/daily schedule and then amend. I also keep an Excel spreadsheet with all my zone settings and notes to remind me which zones I copy across when in/out of use. This spreadsheet is referred by link in one of my earlier postings. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        X