• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fireblade69
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2016

Honeywell, are you here?

If anyone from Honeywell are reading this then if you were to bring out a replacement Evohome controller that was exactly the same as it is now but that was Apple Home Kit compatible, I'd buy it in an instant even though I've got one already, that's how much we want this.

Get on it!
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Fireblade69 View Post
    If anyone from Honeywell are reading this then if you were to bring out a replacement Evohome controller that was exactly the same as it is now but that was Apple Home Kit compatible, I'd buy it in an instant even though I've got one already, that's how much we want this.

Get on it!
    There are several Honeywell employees that read this forum
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• Fireblade69
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2016

Excellent!

Comment

• PaulB
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Sep 2015

Surely compatibility would be at the API level, and not required another controller upgrade? Unless Apple have stupid requirements demanding certain design aspects to be considered, like a corner that's precisely 90 degrees and not too sharp, and a specific mode of operation or notification which repeatedly shows "You're holding the controller the wrong way" if there is communication issues...

Comment

• Fireblade69
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2016

Requires a certified chip apparently.

Comment

• PaulB
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Fireblade69 View Post
            Requires a certified chip apparently.
            Wow you're not wrong...

But I still fail to see how that requirement would apply to the Evohome controller? Given that all remote access to it relays through Honeywell, and doesn't directly connect. Reading that article & the requirements by Apple to 'lock it down', then it wouldn't apply in this case, as no app, or script, to my current understanding, has any direct access to the controller. The best we can do is just capture packets going between the totalconnect servers & the controller. There is no user credentials stored on the controller, all that is done directly with Honeywell and only from the app. Most other IOT devices have local auth & access, which then the Apple restriction would apply, but it's simply not the case with the Evohome.

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Needs specific hardware upgrade. And an Apple HomeKit chipset. Apple have specific and costly development requirements. The device communicates directly to other Apple devices when registered as a HomeKit device. Hope this helps explain.
              I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

Working...
              X