• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe90wido
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2005

Self build - wiring for future

Can someone point me in the right direction. Want to cable out house for all possibilities- multiroom av tv's,phones,data,cctv etc all linked up.

Or should i go wireless???

Wiring about to start in next week or so. I have seen enclosures on internet for above. Any recommended ones?

Is it best to run all cables(cat5e and pf100) to central location?
    Don't know what size metal boxes to install for different sockets?

Head is in a spin thinking about it!! Help!!
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Self build - wiring for future

Welcome

Have a read through this for starters...

Wireless has a place, but if you have a chance to cable in a new build you'd be mad not to!

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• joe90wido
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2005

Thankyou for your swift reply

Link was very interesting.

Ive seen a wiring diagram on aldoussystems
      http://www.aldoussystems.co.uk/acata...ser than this?

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

Hi Joe.

Firstly, for a basic 'all rooms wired for service' type of Home Network pulling CAT5e and Coax back to the same location is a great start.

Personally I would recommend a minimum of 35mm back boxes as standard, if your design will take 47mm it will certainly be better. In most situations they just give more space to work in, but some IR receivers and most in wall amplifiers do actually need all that depth.

The Industry Standard seperation spec calls for 5cm / 2" seperation and cross any power cables at 90 degrees. Pay particular attention to high induction sources and stay way from them. i.e Microwaves, Flosescent Lights, larger motors etc.

If you havent seen it, have a quick read of the article I have writen for this months Hidden Wires website.

www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by joe90wido
          Read that 25mm is suitable for most, but 47mm is needed for IR devices??
          Personally I specified all 47mm boxes in our build to give maximum flexibility. In the grand scheme of things it'll make no noticable difference to the price in a new build.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• joe90wido
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Sep 2005

Thanks for the replies.

Have been looking at konnect2net site which has confused me more!
            That is, which way to go. They advertise a system called Lexcom, in which tv can be passed through Cat 7.

What do you guys recommend???

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

It really depends on what you want to achieve.

The Cat7 based system adds a great level of flexability to any system and they are all wired in the same cable and connector presentation in the rooms. This allows you, the resident, to chose which service is available at which point including UHF Tv and Freeview. It can not pass signals direct from a satellite dish.

The disadvantage? Cable and Termination costs.
              The cable is about 40p per meter and the outlets are almost £5 per point!

A well designed hybrid system (coax and cat5e) in a standard 3/4 bed home will be slightly less flexable but can still meet the families requirements.

How close to London are you? Might be worth you coming down and seeing the Smart Home Zone at the Home Building and Renovating Show at Excel at the end of the month.
              NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• joe90wido
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2005

Due to more delays now starting wiring. Some more questions for you if you don't mind

What size metal boxes for master lounge wall plate?(standard double?)

When installing a rj45 and tv outlet next to each other,will dual accessory boxes do the job?

Reason i am asking, i'm afraid all these sockets etc may look ugly!!! :?

Also, in main lounge mounting 42" plasma on the centre of wall. In same room will have sky,dvd,video and multi room audio(4 zone) all located in a cabinet of some sort(if i find nice one)

My original plan was to have all this in cupboard next door, but advised against it. Unless you have some ideas?
                Cupboard next door will have mini enclosure with patch panels etc.

Planning to channel wall where sky etc is located and put 100 by 50mm trunking in the wall.
                What cables would i need to run to this?

Comment

• vex
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2005

Not sure if the details are available on the web, but do some research on Legrands' TV Corner.

This is a 3 gang wide and either 1, 2 or 3 gang high, flush mounting wall plate.

1 Gang high offers 8 Module spaces
                  2 Gang high offers 12 module spaces
                  and
                  3 Gang high offers 18! modules

This makes the great for exactly what you are trying to do. I am just waiting for my next batch of custom outlets to come in and I will produce a flier for them.

Let me know if you don't find anything.

Chris

Comment

• joe90wido
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Sep 2005

Mounting a plasma on the wall in node 0. What cables should i run to this in the wall? ops:

Comment

• vex
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2005

Joe,

That all depends on the type of plasma you intend to get.

If it has all the connections and receiver cards built in then you need to think about 4 or 5 mini coax feeds for component and composite video feeds and definately a HDMI lead.

Others will include a standard coax for TV and Freeview and possibly a pair of phonos for audio (if you are having speakers on the plasma)

The alternative is a plasma that has its own media centre type box which sits remote to the screen, connected by an proprietory (spelling) cable and connector. The Media box receives all the incoming signals and sends the chosen one to the screen. WATCH OUT these 'special' leads can be expenceive to by longer lenghts.

Comment

• joe90wido
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Sep 2005

Thanks for your help so far,Vex and Otto-Mate.

I am currently still on first fix(unreliable trades!!!)

I am about to mount us back boxes into 100mm concrete block walls. Size: 56mm x 98mm x 78mm (w x h x d)

Which way are these mounted? (width vertically or horizontally)
                        Does the cat 5 cabing enter at the back of this?

Concerns are depth of box in comparison to wall!!

One other thing Vex, regarding plasma. When ready will get one with speakers on tv plus two speakers directly behind. Of all the options of cabling you said which one would you recommend? ops:

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                          Founder
                          • Jan 2004

Some photos on this page which may help...

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• vex
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Feb 2005

UUUuuuuuukkkkkk, Mark.

That must be well over a meter of wall plates to hide.

That is where the TV Corner is so good, using it on my house this week and will post pictures asap so you can see what I mean.

Chris

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                              Founder
                              • Jan 2004

I was really referring to this sort of pic - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...steredwall.jpg - rather than the AV system one.

I now use only one power socket behind the AV system It feeds into a surge protector.

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

Working...
                              X