Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Measuring real time gas consumption

Automated Home Guru

Default Measuring real time gas consumption

For the last eight years I've been reading my gas meter every day which entails a trip outside come sun, rain or snow. All this was about trying to save gas and I ended up installing a wireless-based Honeywell Evohome system when it was first introduced.

However, I made a nice discovery last week with some technology based on Z-wave wireless. This is a system made by the Danish company NorthQ (https://store.northq.com/collections/kits). This consists of a magnetic sensor that sticks to the gas meter, a small transmitter unit and a receiver/hub that connects to the home network. This sends gas meter readings to NorthQ's system where I can see a real-time graph of gas usage. It also allows you to export to Excel.

Sometimes, just sometimes, technology can be magic and works first time!

You can see the results from today here: http://www.gare.co.uk/images/q5.jpg

The first peak is hot water, and the second heating the house in the morning.

Chris

I use Loop which sound as if it does the same thing - it has a transmitter that I stuck to the gas meter. In the app (and through the website) as well as a graphical depiction of both gas and electric usage, it also gives the current gas meter reading.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Smappee also have a gas meter available.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I use Loop which sound as if it does the same thing - it has a transmitter that I stuck to the gas meter. In the app (and through the website) as well as a graphical depiction of both gas and electric usage, it also gives the current gas meter reading.
    The only thing that stopped me buying this is they force you to buy both electric and gas, if you just want gas. You can buy electric on it's own.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    For the last eight years I've been reading my gas meter every day which entails a trip outside come sun, rain or snow. All this was about trying to save gas and I ended up installing a wireless-based Honeywell Evohome system when it was first introduced.

However, I made a nice discovery last week with some technology based on Z-wave wireless. This is a system made by the Danish company NorthQ (https://store.northq.com/collections/kits). This consists of a magnetic sensor that sticks to the gas meter, a small transmitter unit and a receiver/hub that connects to the home network. This sends gas meter readings to NorthQ's system where I can see a real-time graph of gas usage. It also allows you to export to Excel.

Sometimes, just sometimes, technology can be magic and works first time!

You can see the results from today here: http://www.gare.co.uk/images/q5.jpg

The first peak is hot water, and the second heating the house in the morning.

Chris
    Wow - its not cheap. I think that I will stick with my daily meter reading when I put out the re-cycling each morning. Add the data to a 99p app called Meters, and you can get a graph of sorts.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Wow - its not cheap. I think that I will stick with my daily meter reading when I put out the re-cycling each morning. Add the data to a 99p app called Meters, and you can get a graph of sorts.
    I can't say I disagree with you but it's use is aliagned with my philosophy associated with using Evohome and eTRVs before that. In those days their use was all about saving money and rightly so. However, these days it's all about comfort with saving cash being a secondary issue. Fortunately, with Evohome I can get the balance between these two needs perfect!

Automated Home Legend

I can't say I disagree with you but it's use is aliagned with my philosophy associated with using Evohome and eTRVs before that. In those days their use was all about saving money and rightly so. However, these days it's all about comfort with saving cash being a secondary issue. Fortunately, with Evohome I can get the balance between these two needs perfect!
    I agree that Evohome is more about comfort than savings; however, I am not sure how real time usage monitoring adds value to Evohome's inbuilt functions? My energy supplier keeps telling me that it's smart meter will also save me s: I am stubbornly resisting getting one for as long as possible.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I gave up using Loop a long time ago. Struck me as a waste. It worked sometimes and not others and I got messages saying there was no connection when there was. I binned it!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I agree that Evohome is more about comfort than savings; however, I am not sure how real time usage monitoring adds value to Evohome's inbuilt functions? My energy supplier keeps telling me that it's smart meter will also save me s: I am stubbornly resisting getting one for as long as possible.
    Again I wouldn't particularly disagree with you but it took me a long time to get to Evohome before it was launched. I turn off my heating at 22:00 and turn it on at 07:00 and now I 15-minute data points I've been doing some calculations to see whether it might be more economical to keep the heating on overnight at a lower temperature to reduce the big blast in the morning. At least I can see how much usage heating, water and cooking use. Like electricity monitoring it will only be useful until I understand how things work now I can disaggregate the data. Like use I do not want a smart meter in the house as I believe I have no more major savings I can make.

Automated Home Legend

Again I wouldn't particularly disagree with you but it took me a long time to get to Evohome before it was launched. I turn off my heating at 22:00 and turn it on at 07:00 and now I 15-minute data points I've been doing some calculations to see whether it might be more economical to keep the heating on overnight at a lower temperature to reduce the big blast in the morning. At least I can see how much usage heating, water and cooking use. Like electricity monitoring it will only be useful until I understand how things work now I can disaggregate the data. Like use I do not want a smart meter in the house as I believe I have no more major savings I can make.
    Continuous/non-continuous operation of central heating is something that surfaces on the MSE forums every year. FWIW, I think that in zoned homes it is best just to let Evohome do its own thing and call for heat when, and wherever, it is needed. I yearn for a time when Evohome has a system of web-based reporting.