Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 152

Thread: Measuring real time gas consumption

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Automated Home Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    116

    Default Measuring real time gas consumption

    For the last eight years I've been reading my gas meter every day which entails a trip outside come sun, rain or snow. All this was about trying to save gas and I ended up installing a wireless-based Honeywell Evohome system when it was first introduced.

    However, I made a nice discovery last week with some technology based on Z-wave wireless. This is a system made by the Danish company NorthQ (https://store.northq.com/collections/kits). This consists of a magnetic sensor that sticks to the gas meter, a small transmitter unit and a receiver/hub that connects to the home network. This sends gas meter readings to NorthQ's system where I can see a real-time graph of gas usage. It also allows you to export to Excel.

    Sometimes, just sometimes, technology can be magic and works first time!

    You can see the results from today here: http://www.gare.co.uk/images/q5.jpg

    The first peak is hot water, and the second heating the house in the morning.

    Chris

  2. #2
    Automated Home Ninja Mavis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    322

    Default

    I use Loop which sound as if it does the same thing - it has a transmitter that I stuck to the gas meter. In the app (and through the website) as well as a graphical depiction of both gas and electric usage, it also gives the current gas meter reading.

  3. #3
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Smappee also have a gas meter available.

  4. #4
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I use Loop which sound as if it does the same thing - it has a transmitter that I stuck to the gas meter. In the app (and through the website) as well as a graphical depiction of both gas and electric usage, it also gives the current gas meter reading.
    The only thing that stopped me buying this is they force you to buy both electric and gas, if you just want gas. You can buy electric on it's own.

  5. #5
    Automated Home Sr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    52

    Default

    even if you buy elec and gas, loop is damn sight cheaper than this danish thing. I use loop on both. gas (works well) and electric (tends to over-read on low consumption levels,I believe a known issue with inductive coupling), the website and app both work well.
    once they have your data they will try and get you to switch via their price comparison system but if you just ignore that , make your own switching decision, and are happy for them to have their data which they undoubtedly use for comparison with other users and probably some relationship with energy suppliers, it works great.
    N.B. I have no relationship with loop other than as a user.

  6. #6
    Automated Home Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    59

    Default

    I also use Loop, but the gas usage isn't instant due to how the optical sensor works, but it's close enough. My only real gripe is that there is no API access or way to get your usage statistics other than use their app, so I can't import it into the same logging as I do my evohome stats. I did email about this, but they just said no

  7. #7
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    I also use Loop, but the gas usage isn't instant due to how the optical sensor works, but it's close enough. My only real gripe is that there is no API access or way to get your usage statistics other than use their app, so I can't import it into the same logging as I do my evohome stats. I did email about this, but they just said no
    We wouldn't have had an Evohome API, if we simply waited for Honeywell to publish their API. If their app can read the data coming in, you can too. You need to monitor the traffic between the mobile app and the internet and you'll slowly figure out what the app is doing.

  8. #8
    Automated Home Jr Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    I also use Loop, but the gas usage isn't instant due to how the optical sensor works, but it's close enough. My only real gripe is that there is no API access or way to get your usage statistics other than use their app, so I can't import it into the same logging as I do my evohome stats. I did email about this, but they just said no
    There's a Python API - https://github.com/pavoni/pyloopenergy

    I wouldn't be using it for billing purposes, but as a rough and ready elec (10s) + gas (15min) value, it works well

  9. #9
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    NE UK
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I use Loop which sound as if it does the same thing - it has a transmitter that I stuck to the gas meter. In the app (and through the website) as well as a graphical depiction of both gas and electric usage, it also gives the current gas meter reading.
    I gave up using Loop a long time ago. Struck me as a waste. It worked sometimes and not others and I got messages saying there was no connection when there was. I binned it!

  10. #10
    Automated Home Legend
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    For the last eight years I've been reading my gas meter every day which entails a trip outside come sun, rain or snow. All this was about trying to save gas and I ended up installing a wireless-based Honeywell Evohome system when it was first introduced.

    However, I made a nice discovery last week with some technology based on Z-wave wireless. This is a system made by the Danish company NorthQ (https://store.northq.com/collections/kits). This consists of a magnetic sensor that sticks to the gas meter, a small transmitter unit and a receiver/hub that connects to the home network. This sends gas meter readings to NorthQ's system where I can see a real-time graph of gas usage. It also allows you to export to Excel.

    Sometimes, just sometimes, technology can be magic and works first time!

    You can see the results from today here: http://www.gare.co.uk/images/q5.jpg

    The first peak is hot water, and the second heating the house in the morning.

    Chris
    Wow - its not cheap. I think that I will stick with my daily meter reading when I put out the re-cycling each morning. Add the data to a 99p app called Meters, and you can get a graph of sorts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •