X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filbert
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2017

I had no idea that there were products that could monitor real time consumption. As I understand it there are Loop, NorthQ and Smappee. It looks like Loop is defunct and neither NorthQ nor Smappee can cope with my gas meter that has a revolving red pointer. I'm only really interested in gas at the moment.

I did find something called Saveometer but the description is very glib and lacking in sufficient detail to convince me that it's worth trying.

Is there anything else out there that's worth looking into?

I really want something that works locally - without depending on some commercial organisation staying in business.

Comment

• dty
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Aug 2016

Loop are alive and kicking. It just doesn't feel like it...

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

I think Smappee can cope with dials. It was one of the options in the install process.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Has anyone actually phoned loop up and asked them what's going on, or is everyone relying on the "out of stock" indicator on websites ?

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            I think Smappee can cope with dials. It was one of the options in the install process.
            My gas meter has a red needle going round. Smappee has no problem monitoring it. It did not initially as for some reason it stopped sending data in but I removed it from the app and did a reinstall and all seems to work. Thinking back I think it stopped working when I found my main Smappee unit was not registering properly and I needed to disconnect and reconnect. The connection with the gas sensor dropped out. All is OK now though.

Comment

• filbert
              Automated Home Guru
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              My gas meter has a red needle going round. Smappee has no problem monitoring it. It did not initially as for some reason it stopped sending data in but I removed it from the app and did a reinstall and all seems to work. Thinking back I think it stopped working when I found my main Smappee unit was not registering properly and I needed to disconnect and reconnect. The connection with the gas sensor dropped out. All is OK now though.
              Intersting - I emailed Smappee and I've just had a reply saying: "Based on the picture you've provided me alone, it's very hard to tell. I would advise looking for reflective surfaces or an opening around the meter to attach an a magnetic sensor"

Here's the picture and they don't seem to think it will work on the needle.
              Attached Files

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Intersting - I emailed Smappee and I've just had a reply saying: "Based on the picture you've provided me alone, it's very hard to tell. I would advise looking for reflective surfaces or an opening around the meter to attach an a magnetic sensor"

Here's the picture and they don't seem to think it will work on the needle.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]1229[/ATTACH]
                Well mine’s just like that and it works. It is designed to!

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

It's better to use the optical rather than the magnetic sensor, if you can, because the resolution is normally higher.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

I had a similar response from them when I had asked a while ago. And Loop wasn't available as a Gas only option. This is why I built mine myself. About a tenner in parts. And works surprisingly well for the time it took to build.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

In the installation manual it warns of red dials COMBINED WITH thick glass. I suspect the support people are just being overly cautious.

There's a setting where you can adjust the optical sensitivity (with a nice graph to help you).

P.

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

I notice the picture of the meter filbert loaded up is one measuring in cubic meters. Mine is cubic feet but otherwise the same sort of thing. I checked my consumption in Smappee today and nearly had to put my brown trousers on. It seemed my consumption was horrendous. err, my fault. When I set the sensor up in Smappee it seems I had told it my meter read in Kilowatt Hours! I have changed it to cubic feet. So for anybody installing the gas sensor into Smappee do double check how your meter records consumption. It tells you on the surface of the meter - for those that look that is!!!

It does work OK. I am not convinced glass thickness has anything to do with it, as that will be fairly standard. It is important though to make sure the glass or plastic screen is very clean before you stick the sensor over the revolving needle part.

Comment

• demusss
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Oct 2017

I didn't realise that there were devices which read gas meters and could give you stats and stuff.

Whats the best and economical option. I don't see any point in spending £100+ for monitoring energy to possibly save a few quid.

Loop seems pretty good. I emailed them this morning about stock and where to buy it and got a reply back saying that they've had a change of ownership and had to suspend manufacturing and purchasing during that process. They've started sourcing components to restart manufacturing and expect to have stock in March.

Would Loop be the best option?

Thanks
                          Anthony

Comment

• HenGus
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • May 2014

Originally posted by demusss View Post
                            I didn't realise that there were devices which read gas meters and could give you stats and stuff.

Whats the best and economical option. I don't see any point in spending £100+ for monitoring energy to possibly save a few quid.

Loop seems pretty good. I emailed them this morning about stock and where to buy it and got a reply back saying that they've had a change of ownership and had to suspend manufacturing and purchasing during that process. They've started sourcing components to restart manufacturing and expect to have stock in March.

Would Loop be the best option?

Thanks
                            Anthony
                            The ‘problem’ with Loop is that the gas monitor isn’t standalone. Have a look at FleaBay. I picked up a NorthQ gas starter kit for a fraction of its list price. No ongoing monitoring fees with NorthQ. I looked at Smappee but it was very expensive even with a 15% discount. I did buy an open box version off FleaBay but I found that my consumer unit was so tightly wired that I couldn’t get it to work. The need for an electrical connection was also an issue. Smappee do a stand-alone gas monitor but you have to be within Bluetooth range to get a download.

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

Loop seems to have some uncertainty about its future at present. Smappee is fine. You need the electric bit as the gas monitor pairs with it.

These things as such do not save you money. They just tell you what you are spending. What will not be surprising to any readers of this forum, is that we can all check and realise what we are spending, and is causing the spend, without buying a device to tell you what to an extent is obvious.

Comment

• paulockenden
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Apr 2015

Strictly speaking you don’t need the Smappee electric box to pair it with. It'll also communicate via Bluetooth to a phone or tablet. It stores a month’s worth of data, so you just need to sync occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                                X