Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Measuring real time gas consumption

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
    I can confirm that. Have battery storage an divert excess power to the immersion but still average about 50% export from my 4kW solar panels over the year.
    So you heat your HW cylinder from cold every day and recharge your batteries and yet export more than 50% per day? Is your home largely unoccupied during the day?

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    So you heat your HW cylinder from cold every day and recharge your batteries and yet export more than 50% per day? Is your home largely unoccupied during the day?
    Also have Solar Thermal and a large well insulated tank. The immersion heater is usually only needed to ensure water temp is above 60. House is also well insulated and A rated as is the gas boiler.

Edit. At home most days so run washing machine and dishwasher etc when there is solar, if possible.
    Last edited by CT1; 15th February 2018 at 05:04 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I've just installed a Smappee gas monitor (I already had the leccy + solar kit, so it was easy to pair with that). Looks good so far.

P.

Automated Home Legend

My Smappee has monitor stopped working. A job to get around to which I eventually did the other day and all seems OK. It reports a leak and I need to change the sensitivity. The leak is no more than a pilot light on a gas fire.

Shame the SmartThings integration doesn’t report Gas - it would have been easy to then feed both Evohome and Smappee has into InitialState for some nice graphing.

Oh well, been meaning to set up influx and one of the graphing clients. Perhaps this is the prod I need.

Automated Home Sr Member

I had no idea that there were products that could monitor real time consumption. As I understand it there are Loop, NorthQ and Smappee. It looks like Loop is defunct and neither NorthQ nor Smappee can cope with my gas meter that has a revolving red pointer. I'm only really interested in gas at the moment.

I did find something called Saveometer but the description is very glib and lacking in sufficient detail to convince me that it's worth trying.

Is there anything else out there that's worth looking into?

I really want something that works locally - without depending on some commercial organisation staying in business.

Automated Home Ninja

Loop are alive and kicking. It just doesn't feel like it...

I think Smappee can cope with dials. It was one of the options in the install process.

Automated Home Legend

Has anyone actually phoned loop up and asked them what's going on, or is everyone relying on the "out of stock" indicator on websites ?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I think Smappee can cope with dials. It was one of the options in the install process.
    My gas meter has a red needle going round. Smappee has no problem monitoring it. It did not initially as for some reason it stopped sending data in but I removed it from the app and did a reinstall and all seems to work. Thinking back I think it stopped working when I found my main Smappee unit was not registering properly and I needed to disconnect and reconnect. The connection with the gas sensor dropped out. All is OK now though.