Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Measuring real time gas consumption

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    What's an IGT gas supply ?

That acronym went right over my head I'm afraid...
    Independent Gas Transporter. Used in many new builds by developers. In the days of yore, all suppliers charged a levy as the suppliers have to pay the IGT.

Automated Home Legend

Ah I see. Doesn't apply to me then. But thanks for pointing that out to others, I was not even aware there were independent gas networks.

Automated Home Jr Member

I've been using smappee for around 3+ years for monitoring electricity usage, and loop for around 15 months for gas (at the time smappee didn't have a gas monitor otherwise I would have gone with them).

Smappee is very accurate on monitoring electricity usage, typically <1% error. The product feels more professional then loop, but loop's UI is much better for exploring usage over time. The one bit that really let's smappee down is the claimed appliance identification - this is just not accurate enough to be worth the time spent on setting it up (it gets confused over appliances).

Loop on the other hand has been great for monitoring gas uage. It's error rate is much less than 1%, and the Web UI is very good although I would like an easy way of being able to compare this years usage to last years. The story with the loop electricity monitor is not so good - the initial one I had was off by as much as 40% on any given day and was consistently out by around 20% over a long period of time. I have had 3 separate devices sent to me to tailor the measurements to my home, and the last one received is ok (but not as accurate as smappee). Over the last 3 months the total electricity consumption is within 1% of the actual consumption, however any given day can be off by as much as 20%.

In an ideal world, I'd combine the smappee monitoring with the loop UI.

Don
    Last edited by doni; 19th January 2017 at 04:52 PM.

Automated Home Legend

I rushed to compare Bulb with my current supplier Extra Energy. The sound of them paying my exit fees made me run even faster. Unfortunately my current supplier's tariff was almost half of Bulb on everything including standing charges. So Bulb wasn't for me.

Another question. Can I use Gas Loop without Electricity Loop i.e. I know they can't work independently but can I simply not connect the electric loop monitor and just use gas loop?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I rushed to compare Bulb with my current supplier Extra Energy. The sound of them paying my exit fees made me run even faster. Unfortunately my current supplier's tariff was almost half of Bulb on everything including standing charges. So Bulb wasn't for me.
    Really ? Are you getting some special deal with them ? I just went to Extra Energy's website and filled in the quote form with my current yearly usage etc and the fixed rate tariff that they quoted me was:

Electricity
    14.693p per kWh, standing charge 18.88p per day

Gas
    2.941p per kWh, standing charge 19.90p per day

There is also a 30 exit fee, and I didn't see any mention of them paying previous suppliers exit fees.

Something I found a bit strange was the fine print that said "Estimated costs include all added charges and discounts. All prices shown are inclusive of VAT at 5%.".

Why 5% ?

On bulb I was offered a variable rate of:

Electricity
    13.40p per kWh, standing charge 27.30p per day

Gas
    2.47p per kWh, standing charge 27.30p per day

No exit fee. Yes standing charges are higher but this is a very small proportion of the bill so it still works out better for me.

I forgot to mention they also offer a 30/yr dual fuel discount.

If you're really getting half the price again from Extra Energy I'd like to know how.

Another question. Can I use Gas Loop without Electricity Loop i.e. I know they can't work independently but can I simply not connect the electric loop monitor and just use gas loop?
    I can't see why you wouldn't be able to - you may need to bind (enter the MAC address) of the electricity sensor on your account before it will allow you to add the gas sensor though, I found I had to add the electricity one first.

If you have enough available cable length between your meter and switch board for the clamp to fit (in addition to the electricity monitor you already use) why not just clamp it on anyway instead of leaving it in the box ?

If it doesn't detect any usage its possible the Web interface might start nagging you that there's a problem.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 20th January 2017 at 11:28 AM.

Automated Home Legend

I currently pay 663 per year for gas and electricity (fixed for another 11 months and no exit fees). Bulb would be 267 a year more (including the 100 IGT charge) on a variable tariff. It does say on the MSE site that Bulb will refund exit fees up to 120. Not for me - IGT or not.

They do get very good CS reviews but at the end of the day it is just gas and electricity. That said, my gas is 'supposedly' different as it has a high calorific value as implied by my latest statement. I sense the supplier is going to be busy reversing bills and using the correct regional averages from the National Grid as required by the Ofgem policy dated late 2014.

Automated Home Legend

Wow. You guys either have really low gas and electricity use compared to me or have access to really low tariffs that I can't find listed publicly anywhere...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 20th January 2017 at 03:11 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Wow. You guys either have really low gas and electricity use compared to me or have access to really low tariffs that I can't find listed publicly anywhere...
    I use 10,000kWhs for my gas comparisons and then run them again at +/- 2000 just go see how the deal changes. Last year - it was warm - we only used 7641kWhs. Evohome had a part to play in reducing my consumption.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by doni View Post
    I've been using smappee for around 3+ years for monitoring electricity usage, and loop for around 15 months for gas (at the time smappee didn't have a gas monitor otherwise I would have gone with them).

Smappee is very accurate on monitoring electricity usage, typically <1% error. The product feels more professional then loop, but loop's UI is much better for exploring usage over time. The one bit that really let's smappee down is the claimed appliance identification - this is just not accurate enough to be worth the time spent on setting it up (it gets confused over appliances).

Loop on the other hand has been great for monitoring gas uage. It's error rate is much less than 1%, and the Web UI is very good although I would like an easy way of being able to compare this years usage to last years. The story with the loop electricity monitor is not so good - the initial one I had was off by as much as 40% on any given day and was consistently out by around 20% over a long period of time. I have had 3 separate devices sent to me to tailor the measurements to my home, and the last one received is ok (but not as accurate as smappee). Over the last 3 months the total electricity consumption is within 1% of the actual consumption, however any given day can be off by as much as 20%.

In an ideal world, I'd combine the smappee monitoring with the loop UI.

Don
    I have just had a response from Loop to save that they should have a PV compatible system later this year.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    I use 10,000kWhs for my gas comparisons and then run them again at +/- 2000 just go see how the deal changes. Last year - it was warm - we only used 7641kWhs. Evohome had a part to play in reducing my consumption.
    Ah, no wonder Bulb didn't work out for you for such a low usage, due to their higher standing charges.

According to this article your 7641kWh for gas (or even 10000kWh) is WAY below the average household:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/ene...-compared.html

Let's just say that my usage is quite a lot higher than their "average" figures, even though Evohome has cut my gas usage by about 30% in the winter and 50% in the summer.