Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Measuring real time gas consumption

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Ah, no wonder Bulb didn't work out for you for such a low usage, due to their higher standing charges.

According to this article your 7641kWh for gas (or even 10000kWh) is WAY below the average household.
    Don't tell my wife.

Automated Home Legend

I really can't understand how the Smappee gas and water meter monitors work. How can you measure gas using a clip around the gas pipe? Has anyone on there actually got a Smappee device for gas or water?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I really can't understand how the Smappee gas and water meter monitors work. How can you measure gas using a clip around the gas pipe? Has anyone on there actually got a Smappee device for gas or water?
    I think that Paul has had a review copy.

Automated Home Legend

Just noticed when logging into loop today that Bulb no longer shows up as the top recommendation in my loop summary, when I click through to uswitch it doesn't show up in the "Only show me plans uSwitch can help me switch to" option anymore.

If you choose the "show me the whole market" option it does still list it there third from the top but says "This supplier has not made this plan available through uSwitch". This has only changed since yesterday, and Bulb only have one tariff so its not as if only this tariff from bulb isn't available...

It's not just Bulb either - a number of other suppliers that were the front runners in uswitch's switch to recommendation as recently as yesterday are now also in the same status. In fact of the top 10 choices ranked by price only one of them can now be switched to using uswitch. (EDF Energy - which comes in 5th using my usage data)

Wonder what happened ? Did uswitch fall out with some providers ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 20th January 2017 at 05:44 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Just noticed when logging into loop today that Bulb no longer shows up as the top recommendation in my loop summary, when I click through to uswitch it doesn't show up in the "Only show me plans uSwitch can help me switch to" option anymore.

If you choose the "show me the whole market" option it does still list it there third from the top but says "This supplier has not made this plan available through uSwitch". This has only changed since yesterday, and Bulb only have one tariff so its not as if only this tariff from bulb isn't available...

It's not just Bulb either - a number of other suppliers that were the front runners in uswitch's switch to recommendation as recently as yesterday are now also in the same status. In fact of the top 10 choices ranked by price only one of them can now be switched to using uswitch. (EDF Energy - which comes in 5th using my usage data)

Wonder what happened ? Did uswitch fall out with some providers ?
    This is happening a lot following last year's CMA report. I switched to Iresa last month - I had to switch via their website. It could be that they are managing customer flow or it could be that they don't want to pay referral fees.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I never did get a review unit of the Smappee gas/water - only the electricity one.

I believe the clip to the pipe thing is just a fixing method. It actually uses either magnetic pulse or photoelectric sensors to read pulses from the meter.

Automated Home Ninja

Ah, no wonder Bulb didn't work out for you for such a low usage, due to their higher standing charges.

According to this article your 7641kWh for gas (or even 10000kWh) is WAY below the average household:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/ene...-compared.html

Let's just say that my usage is quite a lot higher than their "average" figures, even though Evohome has cut my gas usage by about 30% in the winter and 50% in the summer.
    LOLZ! When I moved in here and tried to switch supplier, the new one said we're on some special national register of large gas users. To get on that, you have to use 76,000 kWh/a. Apparently, the guy who'd been living here before was actually using 97,000 kWh/a! At 100,000 you get classified as a commercial user! He was paying 300pcm for energy and said "it's a large, draughty old house". More money than sense.

I changed to Sainsbury's Energy (on Loop's recommendation). Their unit price was considerably lower than anyone else in the market. Their standing charge is a bit higher, but that's more than offset by the unit prices.

We're on Sainsbury's Energy Price Promise October 2017, and paying 1.69p/kWh + VAT, and 32p/day + VAT before duel fuel + DD discounts.

These last few days, our energy usage (combined gas + elec) has been approaching 11/day according to Loop!
    Last edited by dty; 20th January 2017 at 09:29 PM.

Automated Home Legend

There aren't any images or videos online of the gas and water installations.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    An excellent and helpful review - thank you. In case anybody is thinking about switching to Bulb, it is a supplier (and it may be the only one) that makes an extra charge for an IGT gas supply. If I recall, it is about 100 a year extra.
    We've had IGT charges from one of the big six before now. I think they're getting rarer and are mostly for the little players these days. After the RMR, the big six might not even be allowed to charge them.

Automated Home Ninja

Why 5% ?
    VAT on domestic fuel is 5%