Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Measuring real time gas consumption

Automated Home Jr Member

Another vote for Meters, it's a great little app that does one thing well. It is extra work however, as noted above.

Automated Home Legend

Is Meters an Apple only app? I can't seem to find it on the Play Store. Any link?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Is Meters an Apple only app? I can't seem to find it on the Play Store. Any link?
    I think that it is just IOS.

Automated Home Legend

So finally I moved my Photon breadboard from Study Table to Gas Meter to see if I could count the revolutions on my ft3 meter. It worked surprisingly well. After two day my gas meter reading was spot on including the Red digit. But I have a question. I have assumed 1 revolution to be 1ft3 and so 10 revolutions would turn the single red digit one digit forward. This seems to work fine. But why 10? 10 in my head is a metric multiplier rather than anormal imperial one. Does anyone know what it should be and what do the commercially available monitors assume.

Since I used the Photon, I am able to directly update Domoticz and Emoncms and don't need to use and Router interface. Planning to add a temp and humidity sensor to the Photon too, to meter those stats in the meter box where my water mains comes in too.

Can someone point me at any water meter DIY solutions. My water meter is on the footpath, so can 'look' there. What other options do I have besides adding my own pulsed output water meter at my water mains.

Automated Home Ninja

You could add it at the rising main.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    You could add it at the rising main.
    I could be it does mean adding my own meter or flow meter right? Or is there a sort of clip on sensor that can measure flow rate?

Automated Home Legend

So finally I moved my Photon breadboard from Study Table to Gas Meter to see if I could count the revolutions on my ft3 meter. It worked surprisingly well. After two day my gas meter reading was spot on including the Red digit. But I have a question. I have assumed 1 revolution to be 1ft3 and so 10 revolutions would turn the single red digit one digit forward. This seems to work fine. But why 10? 10 in my head is a metric multiplier rather than anormal imperial one. Does anyone know what it should be and what do the commercially available monitors assume.
    My meter has two red digits and a rotating dial. The rotating dial is 1 cubic foot per revolution, the last red digit counts cubic feet and the second to last counts ten cubic feet. It sounds like your meter is missing the last red digit and only has the 10 cubic foot one but the rotating dial will still be 1 cubic foot.

Gas readings normally only ask for the white digits - the smallest white digit is 100 cubic feet, and I think this is standard among imperial meters.

When I set up loop on mine although there may have been another option, when I told it there was a rotating dial and it was an imperial meter it assumed it was 1 cubic foot per revolution.

As for metric vs imperial multiplier - just because cubic feet is imperial doesn't mean we don't still use base 10 numbering when we write a number using digits!

Automated Home Legend

I could be it does mean adding my own meter or flow meter right? Or is there a sort of clip on sensor that can measure flow rate?
    Clip on meter to measure gas flow ? I'd be interested to know what principle of operation it might use... I don't think house gas meters would use diaphragm meters if there was an easy way to clip a sensor onto a gas pipe with nothing inside.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Clip on meter to measure gas flow ? I'd be interested to know what principle of operation it might use... I don't think house gas meters would use diaphragm meters if there was an easy way to clip a sensor onto a gas pipe with nothing inside.
    I think we were talking about water at that point. But I'm not sure that invalidates your point!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I think we were talking about water at that point. But I'm not sure that invalidates your point!
    Ah - didn't quite catch that. Although as you say I'd be interested to know the principle of operation of measuring water flow through a metal pipe with a clip on sensor as well...