• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obiwanharris
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2016

beginners project help

Hello,
    I am trying to find a home automation solution that will enable me to the following to start with. I did consider a Raspberry pi with OpenHAB but think I would struggle with the coding. Is there a product and or interface that would easily let me do the following using my pi? Thanks for your help

I want to place a motion detector outdoors on the rear of my property that turns on an interior light if an intruder approaches. i only want the light to stay on a set amount of time. I want some control of when it is active and not active, like only during the hours of darkness for example.

p.s i learnt html years ago when the internet first came about and built a basic website so i will be able to learn basic commands just daunted by all this stuff id have to learn for openhab whilst im older and not as bright

Thanks,
  • franktate
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2007

Have a look at Smartthings. (£100 for the hub). This connects to various protocols including Z-Wave and Zigbe and can also interact with other popular home automation hero's such as Nest and Harmony. The Hub just plugs into our wifi router.

Then buy a sensor that is compatible with the Smartthings hub. If it's outside it will need to be weather proof.

The internal light can be either of 2 options. Option 1 (easy) a plug in device, which a lamp then plugs into. Option 2 (a little more messing around) is to put a small back box behind a normal light switch. You'll need to research this as it's not always straight forward as it depends on the wiring of your house.

Next set up a 'rule' in the Smartthings app to switch on the internal light IF it's dark AND there's movement outside. The rules generally switch off the lights after a given period of time, which can be amended within the app.

Frank

Comment

• Obiwanharris
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2016

Brilliant, thanks for the info. I will order the smartthings hub look for an external motion detector and let you know how I get on. I think i will give the black box a go as i am pretty competent electrically and its a new build house so all the sockets/switches have loads of space behind, because of the plasterboard walls. thanks again.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

If anyone finds a decent external battery powered motion detector (Z-wave or ZigBee HA) please let me know! They seem to be few and far between.

Comment

• franktate
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Feb 2007

The back box option is the neatest. Have a look behind your light switches to see it you have a live and neutral wire. If you don't have both this will limit what you buy.

I have used the Z-Wave Fibaro Double Switch 2. These work very well with Smartthings. I've had no false communication with them.

Frank

Comment

• Obiwanharris
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            If anyone finds a decent external battery powered motion detector (Z-wave or ZigBee HA) please let me know! They seem to be few and far between.
            I did read a post somewhere else of someone using a non z-wave outdoor battery motion detector wired to a wireless z-wave transmitter. Probably doesn't look the best though. i waill let you know what i end up buying and how i get on with it.

Comment

• Obiwanharris
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by franktate View Post
              The back box option is the neatest. Have a look behind your light switches to see it you have a live and neutral wire. If you don't have both this will limit what you buy.

I have used the Z-Wave Fibaro Double Switch 2. These work very well with Smartthings. I've had no false communication with them.

Frank
              I could fit the black box in the ceiling i suppose if i don't have neutral in the switch. But would be a lot more work

Comment

• franktate
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Feb 2007

I've used a few of these in my set up. Although I've not really set any triggers with them yet as I've yet to finish my external lighting.

Z-Wave Everspring SP103 Motion Detector

All the tests I carried out seemed to go OK. Good communication and always triggered during the tests.

Frank

Comment

• Obiwanharris
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Oct 2016

Thanks

Originally posted by franktate View Post
                  I've used a few of these in my set up. Although I've not really set any triggers with them yet as I've yet to finish my external lighting.

Z-Wave Everspring SP103 Motion Detector

All the tests I carried out seemed to go OK. Good communication and always triggered during the tests.

Frank
                  Brill thanks. One of those should do the trick. i will let you know how i get on thanks

Comment

• stumpers
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Mar 2017

I had a similar thought recently. It's always useful to hear about positive experiences with specific products. That Z-Wave detector does seem a bit steep though. If I have some more spare time I might try and do something similar with an Arduino and Zigbee shield. It would probably end up costing more, but I'd learn a lot and could use the hardware to do more as time goes on.

Comment

• makemyhomesmart
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Jun 2017

If your interesting is specifically running it on your PI have a look at this; https://home-assistant.io/ its easy to install and setup. Has some great products already integrated and loads of Youtube videos to help with installation and setup.
                      www.makemyhomesmart.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X