Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new to evoHome - existing Honeywell wireless room thermostat

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I honestly think that for the typical user that would just make things overly complicated.

And in all the time I've had Evohome installed I can't remember ever wanting to run two quick actions in parallel.

I know you're very enthusiastic for this, but (for once) I quite strongly disagree with you.

Also, many of us have a 'wife acceptance factor' to deal with (or the reverse in the case of Mavis). I think I'd really struggle to get Mrs O to grasp layered quick actions. She struggles enough with basic Evohome as it is. In fact we had the "why can't we go back to having a simple thermostat in the hall?" conversation only a few days ago.
    I take your points, but wasn't it you that argued for an optional "expert mode" in the UI some time ago ? Perhaps both newbies and power users could be accommodated with the same software with a bit of clever UI design and a normal/expert mode.

I'm afraid I do find the quick actions artificially limiting and quite clunky just for regular day to day use. I frequently find myself having to work around them to do common tasks rather than feeling that they are working for me.

Automated Home Jr Member

Dear all,

So the kit received today and I set to work with high expectations.

As a reminder - I already have a BDR91 that is controlling my central heating demand, so I thought I could just connect up the evoHome controller to that.

However, it seems that I'm too stupid to do so.

I have purchased 4 HR924s so I want to create four zones. However, I want every zone to be able to operate the BDR91 / CH valve, which will activate the boiler through the limit switches.

So I factory reset the controller, and power it on.

I go to Guided Configuration.

It says - Do you require to control the heat demand (boiler) - I say "no" (assuming that this would bind a boiler realy, which I don't want).
    It says - Do you require to control a Stored HW Cylinder - I say "no" as I only want to control CH.

Then it says "select the heating type for the zones that you are creating" and I get the choice between UFH / Mixing Valve / Rad Valve and Zone Valve. This is where I'm lost. I am struggling with the wording "heating type". I guess my "heating type" really is the zone valve?

Or do I need to choose "Rad Valve", to then pair up the HR924s per zone? But where and how do I then pair up the BDR91? Into every single zone??

Looking at the instructions, section "Power up and bind a Wireless Relay Box to control a Zone Valve", it asks me to create a new zone for that. But really I want this BDR91 to be used from all the different zones!?

Help?

Cheers

Automated Home Legend

You need to look carefully at the installation instructions. The controller talks to the heating BDR not each of the HR92s. The HR92s talk to the controller and must be placed in a zone or zones. i have 12 zones. I can delete/change zones at will and it doesn't affect the controller's link to the heating BDR.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thank you! Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

Following the instructions to "Bind the Radiator Controllers (HR92)" I can do this happily, and then they'll all be bound to their own zones.

Then I am assuming I need to follow the instructions to "Power up and bind a Wireless Relay Box (BDR91) to control a Zone Valve". But when I do that, it asks me to add a new zone and will place the BDR91 into that zone!? That's the part I can't figure out...

Automated Home Legend

The Honeywell terminology is quite poor. If I understand right you have the main controller, 4 radiator valves and 1 BDR91. You want to let the radiator valves demand heat but instead of directly controlling the boiler, you want to instead switch on the CH zone valve, which in turn will fire the boiler. (Similar wiring to what a time clock would have).

How is your HW demand going to be satisfied? Normal time clock?

Are there any radiators that don't have an HR92 on them and need heating?

What I would do is pair the BDR91 as the boiler relay, but instead of wiring it to fire the boiler, I would wire it to switch on the CH motor valve.

Automated Home Jr Member

Correct. I already have a BDR91 wired in to control the CH valve. This is working with the current Honeywell (non-EvoHome) thermostat. Ideally I wouldn't touch the wiring.

HW demand is satisfied through a normal timer clock.

I plan to fit HR92s on all radiators.

Incidentally I have since come across the Wireless Binding Guide http://getconnected.honeywell.com/en...e%20(v1-0).pdf, which says:

To bind a Wireless Relay Box (BDR91) to a Wi-Fi evohome Controller (ATC928G3000) to control a Sundial valve (hot water or heating)..

On the evohome Controller
    1 Press and hold SETTINGS for 5 seconds
    2 Press the green tick
    3 Press SYSTEM DEVICES
    4 Press STORED HOT WATER
    5 Press ENABLED
    6 Press HOT WATER VALVE BINDING or HEATING VALVE BINDING

Not too sure why this under "stored hot water" but hey - ok.

So when I do this (Stored Hot Water / Enabled) it just says "Hot Water Sensor" - Press BIND button on sensor. I don't have a hot water sensor though? Huh?

Automated Home Legend

This thread might help.Richard at The EvohomeShop is an Evohome expert.

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...-gt-28-3/page8

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    What I would do is pair the BDR91 as the boiler relay, but instead of wiring it to fire the boiler, I would wire it to switch on the CH motor valve.
    Sorry - I misread this part. I guess this is exactly what my current wiring is, just that my current BDR91 is controlled by a CM727 rather than evoHome. So you're saying I set the BDR91 up as a boiler realy (System Devices / Boiler Control / Wireless Relay Box)?

I'm still baffled by the fact that it looks like I cannot set this up as heating Sundial valve without having the hot water kit when the instructions clearly say "control a Sundial valve (hot water or heating"....

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mart1711 View Post
    Correct. I already have a BDR91 wired in to control the CH valve. This is working with the current Honeywell (non-EvoHome) thermostat. Ideally I wouldn't touch the wiring.

HW demand is satisfied through a normal timer clock.

I plan to fit HR92s on all radiators.

Incidentally I have since come across the Wireless Binding Guide http://getconnected.honeywell.com/en...e%20(v1-0).pdf, which says:

To bind a Wireless Relay Box (BDR91) to a Wi-Fi evohome Controller (ATC928G3000) to control a Sundial valve (hot water or heating)..

On the evohome Controller
    1 Press and hold SETTINGS for 5 seconds
    2 Press the green tick
    3 Press SYSTEM DEVICES
    4 Press STORED HOT WATER
    5 Press ENABLED
    6 Press HOT WATER VALVE BINDING or HEATING VALVE BINDING

Not too sure why this under "stored hot water" but hey - ok.

So when I do this (Stored Hot Water / Enabled) it just says "Hot Water Sensor" - Press BIND button on sensor. I don't have a hot water sensor though? Huh?
    Google 'Honeywell Evohome Installation Guide' and you can download a PDF. The procedure for linking BDRs to the controller is broadly the same except HW control binds a sensor to the system as well.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Google 'Honeywell Evohome Installation Guide' and you can download a PDF. The procedure for linking BDRs to the controller is broadly the same except HW control binds a sensor to the system as well.
    Thanks! But in the installation guide the only relevant part I can see is the section: "Wireless Relay Box BDR91 to control a Zone Valve" on page 20, and that requires me to add the BDR91 to a zone, which I don't want to do. I want to have it as a system device.

However, based on the above, it seems there are only two ways of doing this

1) I connect it up as a Boiler Control BDR91, even though it controls my CH valve and not the boiler - this is how I understood bruce_miranda's post.
    2) I set it up as a sundial valve, which sounds like the correct way of doing it, but it looks like I cannot do this unless I also have the hot water kit - which I currently don't.

Does that sound right?