Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell evohome and Vaillant ecotec plus 838

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks OK. I've booked my electrician to come in next Saturday to install the relay. He hasn't installed the evohome before but has seen the wiring diagrams I sent him and is comfortable he can do it. He does HA stuff with Fibaro so I'd like to think he'll be more familiar than a straight forward sparky. Thank you for your help guys - so useful!

Are there any instructions with the relay about testing it? Or do you literally just setup the whole system and see if it works?

Automated Home Legend

If you press the button on the bdr91 the boiler should fire up. If not there is something wrong.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    If you press the button on the bdr91 the boiler should fire up. If not there is something wrong.
    Yes good point - when the BDR91 is being installed it can be tested very easily by itself as you can just press the button to manually turn it on and off - if the boiler fires when the green LED on the relay lights and goes off when it isn't lit you know the relay is wired in correctly and can concentrate on the rest of the installation and the binding process.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi sorry to hijack this thread but been looking for some details of connecting BDR91 to a new Vaillant 938. Been reading loads of info like this thread - http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...8942#post28942 and more confused.

So we have a new Vaillant 938 which is installed using timer and this is working fine. The builder is happy to help me connect BDR91 but he has never installed one. I am looking at BDR91 and the installation page (attached). Which one should i be following. Based on the above link from automatedhome, I should be looking to connect to "RT 230v" connect.

Really appreciated if someone has a simple layman's guide.

Once again, let me know if I have broken forum rules and I can create a new thread.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi all, just another question, if I can't install the TRVs on the same day as the relay I'm presuming I will still be able to turn my heating on and off manually even with the relay installed? I.e I won't be stuck in a situation where I have no heating until the TRVs are installed?

Automated Home Legend

I dont know how long the manual green led on the bdr91 stays on. But the evohome controller can be setup as a single room stat (probably the worlds most expensive one)

Automated Home Jr Member

Cheers, will that be obvious/straight forward from the instructions to do? I'm hoping I won't need to do it but need a backup as I can't afford having no heating!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I dont know how long the manual green led on the bdr91 stays on.
    That's a good question. In my experience the button is a temporary override that only lasts a few minutes both when overriding to on or to off.

Of course that's with an Evotouch present and bound sending regular updates to the BDR91 - I don't know if pressing the button would be more permanent if it was unbound or had lost communications.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi all, I had the BDR91 installed on Saturday morning and then installed the 8 TRVs and configured the controller. I thought I'd post my initial experiences on here for anyone else who might find it useful.

- Firstly, the relay was installed near the boiler as many people had suggested on here. I have a Vaillant ecotec plus 838 combi so the manual switch on the boiler is set to the "on" position and left that way. The BDR91 then requests the boiler to turn heating on and off as and when needed.

- I tested the BDR91 was properly connected by setting up evohome controller as a room thermostat for a zone and then turning the heating on and off for that zone. When I turned it on the green light on the BDR91 turned on, and then the boiler fired up. When I switched the heating off the light went off as did the heating on the boiler. So that seemed all good. The one thing to point out here was that you need to be patient once you've asked the heating to be turned on or off from the controller. It takes a few minutes for TRVs to be adjusted and relay to be invoked.

- TRV configuration was straightforward as was pairing them to a zone on the controller. I just paired all the TRVs to the controller together before installing as it's easier.

- TRV installation was slightly trickier. I didn't need any adapter for my radiator valves as they were already the right measurement bit I found in some cases the part of the TRV which screws on to the radiator had a tendency to over-screw very easily. If you do that, then it's likely the trv won't be able to open and close the radiator properly. After a bit of messing around I managed to get the TRVs installed. When I turned a particular zone on for the first time I noticed radiators not in that zone were still getting slightly warm, i.e. The trv wasn't screwed in far enough so the radiator valve wasn't being fully closed. I went round and slightly tightened the screw slightly so that the trv would fully close the valve but not so much that the TRV's motorised function would find it too stiff to close. Also, the pin on the radiator only need to depress a couple of mm so that's another reason why you need to get the screwing of TRVs right. I also tested the screwing by rotating the black part of the trv clockwise until it got to the end, i.e. to replicate the valve being closed. By doing this I could test how stiff it felt to close the valve and therefore whether the trv would be able to close it properly or not. Anyway, once I figured out what the trv would be doing and tweaked it's positioning, the radiators were all being turned fully on and fully off as expected.

- Once the TRVs were all installed i did a communications test to make sure each one was getting a good signal to the controller. You can do this from the installer menu on the evohome controller.

- I followed the instructions in the setup guide to get my system working with the mobile app (I have an android phone). However, after registering with an account on the website, when I tried adding my controller to the account using the MAC ID and CRC I kept getting an error that it couldn't be registered and that I should contact honeywell support. They are not open on weekends so I will be contacting them today - not sure why the controller isn't being registered.

That's pretty much it. I then setup a schedule for each zone based on our timings at home and it was good to go.

My only question is that I'm not sure how the controller would be mounted on the wall because it's power supply connector is on the back of the stand, rather than controller itself. Unless there is a connector on the back of the controller too which I didn't notice? I don't think the wiring for my old manual wall thermostat is sufficient to power the controller anyway but I'm just wondering nonetheless.

I hope that helps anyone researching the evohome system like I was and I'll be happy to answer any other questions

Automated Home Legend

Honeywell knew that most people would want this wall mounted, so decided to sell a wall mount separately.