• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Random Niggly Issues

Now the novelty has worn off with my Evohome and as G4RHL has pointed out, I leave my Evo to get on with things and it ‘just works’. I have had a couple of niggly random issues.

All my radiators are set to go to 10c at 22.30.

Last week my bedroom radiator somehow was overridden to 20 degrees and was on all night. I cancelled it on the main controller when I got up (before the next setpoint.) I do recall that when I drew the curtains going to bed and tucked them behind the radiator that the rad was warm (but not hot) which was unusual as opt stop has usually kicked in and they are generally cold.
    Earlier in the evening (around 19.00) I boosted the sitting room by 1 degree on the app but cancelled it again around 21.30. I didn’t touch the app or controller after that.
    Hubby swears blind that he did not touch anything – I do believe him as he would rather just moan that he is cold rather than touch any technology.

Second niggle was this morning. I boosted the bathroom rad manually and cranked it up to 22c. It worked ok but when I checked after a few minutes the override symbol was not showing on the HR92. I checked the controller and that was fine – it did show the override.
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
    Second niggle was this morning. I boosted the bathroom rad manually and cranked it up to 22c. It worked ok but when I checked after a few minutes the override symbol was not showing on the HR92. I checked the controller and that was fine – it did show the override.
    Do you have a Wi-Fi Evotouch that shows HR92 local overrides on the controller ?

If so what you describe is normal behaviour. When you first make an adjustment on the HR92 it is a "local override" which shows the override icon on the HR92. The override is sent to the controller and appears as a timed zone override.

After a few minutes the controller sends a set point change for the new temperature to all the HR92's in the zone - including the original one that made the override. When the original HR92 receives this set point update this cancels the local override but maintains the temperature - it is no longer a "local override", it's now a zone override so the local override icon is extinguished. (Any set point update sent from the controller cancels the local override icon on an HR92)
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 5 November 2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Mavis
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Oct 2014

Yes it is the Wifi version I upgraded in the recent upgrade offer. That explains why when I tried to replicate it I couldn't - because I was not waiting long enough ie longer than the 'up to 4 minutes'.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Yes it is the Wifi version I upgraded in the recent upgrade offer. That explains why when I tried to replicate it I couldn't - because I was not waiting long enough ie longer than the 'up to 4 minutes'.
        Mavis, any problems with your iPhone making contact? Since the last upgrade to the app, and possibly if there has been one to the Panel, my iPhone (and iPad) often tell me there is no internet connection when there is and the Panel says it has a good wifi connection. Have to exit the app, go back in again. Perhaps I should delete it and reinstall.

Comment

• Mavis
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Oct 2014

No, no problems with my iPhone. I secretly boost the sitting room every night by 1 degree with my phone and I have no problems. That is on wifi though. I haven't tried outside the house.

I hove no problems with the signal to the controller either. The only problem I have is with the power when I occasionally take it off its stand. I must remember to do the battery thing regularly.

I had a new boiler installed a couple of weeks ago (by the same company that installed my Evohome) and didn't even need to do any resetting because of that.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Secretly ?

Comment

• Mavis
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
              Secretly ?
              �� Hubby moans that he is cold during the day (when I am at work) but won't learn how to use Evo. I tell him it is not cold then whip my phone out when he is not looking and heat the room I am in. ��

Comment

• Mavis
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Oct 2014

Now the novelty has worn off with my Evohome and as G4RHL has pointed out, I leave my Evo to get on with things and it ‘just works’. I have had a couple of niggly random issues.

All my radiators are set to go to 10c at 22.30.

Last week my bedroom radiator somehow was overridden to 20 degrees and was on all night. I cancelled it on the main controller when I got up (before the next setpoint.) I do recall that when I drew the curtains going to bed and tucked them behind the radiator that the rad was warm (but not hot) which was unusual as opt stop has usually kicked in and they are generally cold.
                Earlier in the evening (around 19.00) I boosted the sitting room by 1 degree on the app but cancelled it again around 21.30. I didn’t touch the app or controller after that.
                Hubby swears blind that he did not touch anything – I do believe him as he would rather just moan that he is cold rather than touch any technology.
                This happened again. On Sunday morning I checked at around 10am and the controller showed the overide symbol for the bedroom and it was set for 20c - i am not sure for how long though?

Edit - just checked my SmartThings log and it is showing 10.09am when the temp was overridden - nowhere near any setpoint. I will have to keep a close eye.

Comment

• Andehh
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Oct 2015

Sure hubby hasn't secretly figured it out, but prefers "the system" to take the fall for "randomly heating the room'

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

I think I saw a random override the other day too. Just thought I'd probably messed something up, bit now seeing this I'm less convinced.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

It's probably the well known (?) HR92 bug where it sends a periodic set point update to the controller even if you don't adjust the control. I don't recall if it is every 30 minutes or every 60 minutes.

If it happens to send this periodic update just after a set point change is scheduled but before the 4 minute set point update to the HR92 is sent, it gets interpreted as a manual zone override by the controller. For example:

The set point is scheduled to go from 5 degrees to 20 at 6pm, (Assuming optimal start is disabled) but the 4 minute transmission from controller to HR92 to update it's set point isn't due until 6:03pm. Through bad luck the boot-up time of the HR92 means that it's hourly set point refresh to the controller is due to be sent at 6:02pm. The sequence of events is:

6:00pm - controller displays the scheduled change to 20 degrees but it will not send this new set point to the HR92 until 6:03pm

6:02pm - the HR92, still being set at 5 degrees sends its hourly set point refresh to the controller - informing it that it is set to 5 degrees. The controller interprets this as a manual override to 5 degrees because the current scheduled temperature is different - eg 20 degrees. (Even though it "knows" that it didn't send the set point update to the HR92 yet - that is the bug)

The temperature displayed on the controller is now 5 degrees again with the pocket watch manual override icon since it received the override from an HR92. The override time lasts until the following set point.

6:30pm - the controller now sends the most recent set point - 5 degrees, to the HR92. Now this becomes a zone override for the whole zone.

The window of opportunity is at most 4 minutes because the HR92 has to send its set point update after the controller's schedule changes but before it has sent the change.

The workaround is to simply do a battery out reboot of the HR92 to change it's hourly timer not to fall within one of these narrow windows of opportunity.

The only problem with this is manual overrides made through the controller or phone app can also suffer the same fate of being "reverted" by this bug. I very occasionally see my manual overrides made through the controller of phone app being reverted to the old temperature a few minutes later but retaining the override end time. The interesting thing is that there isn't a lot Honeywell can do to properly fix the bug without a firmware update to HR92's.

At most they can mitigate it. The mitigation would be something like:

Controller reaches a set point change or a manual override at the controller is made. If, before it gets a chance to send that set point update to the HR92, it receives a set point change from the HR92 for the previous set point and the new set point has not yet been sent out, ignore this set point change. It's only a mitigation though, not a 100% fix.
                      Last edited by DBMandrake; 15 November 2016, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Mavis
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                        I think I saw a random override the other day too. Just thought I'd probably messed something up, bit now seeing this I'm less convinced.
                        That is the frustrating thing, the randomness and the not being sure if you have done anything.

Thanks DBMandrake, another comprehensive clear answer that explains things (I like to know the whys and rationales).

Comment

Working...
                        X