• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hewitsd
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2005

Phone Wiring Help

I currently have 2 phones installed in my house, which was built about 6 years ago, with dial up access in mind, this is before I could afford broadband so really needed 2 lines.
    Now with ADSL I'm really paying for something I don't need, wo would like to remove the additional line.
    I've had a look at the BT socket entering the house, but my DIY book doesn't cover what I can see in there, and therefore I can't work out how to just connect the phone socket on my second line to my main line so making the second line redundant.
    If I describe best I can what I can see, can someone advise me how to do it?

Ok, I see the main line coming in from outside, it's gor t 4 wires : orange / green / black / white. I'll refer to this as the external line.
    I see two wires coming in for the extension sockets, presumably one for each number, each of these has 4 wires : white & blue / blue & white / orange & white / white & orange. I'll refer to this as the internal lines.
    This is the bit that has thrown me: the external green wire is connected via a little plastic plug to the orange & white of both internal lines, and likewise, the external black wire is connected with another of these plugs to the white & orange of both internal lines.
    Then on the socket itself, pin 2 has the external orange and blue & white of internal line 1.
    Pin 5 has the external white and white & blue of internal line 1.
    The white & blue and blue & white of internal line 2 are just twisted together.

Hope this makes sense to someone, and thanks in advance for any help.

Dave.
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Phone Wiring Help

Hi Dave,

Firstly, have you had your second line ceased by BT, if not do it now otherwise you are still paying for it!!

If the engineer installing the lines in the first place has followed convention then Line 1 is on the Orange and White of the incoming cable and Line 2 is on the Green and Black. That is sort of confirmed by your observation that the first pair in the internal cable (Blue/White) is connected to the Orange/White incoming feed and that the Orange/White of the internal cable is connected to the Green/Black pair of the incoming cable.

Having said that, it sounds like you phones are NOT correctly wired at present because the builder used 2 pair instead of 3 or 4 pair cable to save a few pence :cry:

Do you have a proper NTE5 ( a socket with a removeable lower part of the faceplate). If the insatllation is only 6 years old you should have.

Correct wiring is for the incoming line (almost certainly the Orange/White pair) to terminate on A & B on the rear of the NTE5

Your internal cables should then terminate on the removeable faceplate as follows

2 BLUE/White
    3 ORANGE/White
    4 WHITE/Orange
    5 WHITE/Blue

and all internal sockets should also be wired the same.

Hope that helps

Regards

Keith

KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• hewitsd
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2005

Hi Keith, thanks for your swift reply. In answer to you question, I don't have an NTE5 socket, just the standard one, and yes, you're right, the builder (or his subcontracting sparky mate) should have put 6 wire lines in. I remember the BT guy moaning about that when he came to do the installation!

From what you have said, assuming that the incoming white wire and incoming orange wire are my primary line I want to keep, it sounds like I just take the orange/white and white/orange wires from my secondary internal line and connect them to pins 2 and 5 respectively?

Does that sound about right, because that socket works fine?

I'm confused as to why blue/white and white/blue on the primary line are also connected to those pins, but it sounds like a workaround the BT guy had to do.

Cheers,

Dave.

Comment

• katman
        • Jan 2004

Hi Dave,

As you dont have an NTE5, I would get one from Solwise http://www.solwise.co.uk and wire it up properly as I described above.

Make sure that any other sockets on the line dont have the capacitor or resistor fitted to them. It they do have them just cut them out as they wont be needed with the NTE5. Dont worry about cutting out the surge supressor. The more of them you have the better protected your line is.

Regards

Keith
        KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
        http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
        X