Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering Evohome

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Adjustments on my HR92s are disabled because zones kept getting set to stupid temps during cleaning.

Don't know whether others have found this?

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Adjustments on my HR92s are disabled because zones kept getting set to stupid temps during cleaning.

Don't know whether others have found this?

P.
    Nope haven't had that - the knobs are pretty slippery so don't seem to be accidentally turned.

I have had some HR92's knocked by moving furniture so that they turn around on the thread of the radiator though - I have the display angled out with the support wedge on most of them but this is a good thing to hit when a table or similar is dragged nearby. In one case the screen was ripped right off - I had to disassemble the whole thing (which is fairly tricky) so that I could reconnect the ribbon cable! Luckily the cable wasn't damaged, it was just pulled out of the socket.

Because of this in the hallway where the risk of kicking is high I have the HR92 oriented with the screen parallel to the wall rather than sticking out as most others do...

I dread the day when our little one is old enough to be ramming toy trucks into the side of the radiator valves - I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to that, at least with the screen extended! (And no doubt I'll have to lock the local overrides on them all as well so that only grownups can adjust the temperature )
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 9th November 2016 at 02:31 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Also, my wife typically wants to 'turn the heating down' - to her 'the heating' is still a thing. When rads aren't on (because the room is up to temp) she asks me why 'the heating' is off.

And zones become very confusing when you turn down the temp on one HR92 and it also affects other radiators in the same zone. The logical thing when adjusting the temp on a rad is that THAT rad gets turned down.

I know we probably all scoff and laugh at people that don't get it, but it IS a problem. And I echo the comments further up the thread about how she'd cope if I wasn't around for any length of time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-Evohome. Far from it. I'm a big fan. But I think we have to be honest and accept that there IS a big usability problem for some people, in terms of the concept of zoned heating, the concept of scheduled heating, the controls, and the ongoing maintenance of the system. If there was just one of us facing this problem at home you could perhaps dismiss it, but this thread shows that this isn't the case.

Automated Home Legend

The wife and kids have long realised that only Daddy knows how to operate the heating. But add my plumber to the list as well. He has no clue where to every start.

Automated Home Guru

I think some (mainly females - there I said it) would keep turning the heating up until a room became sub-tropical then suddenly realise it's too hot then turn things down, then the process might start over again I also think temperature acclimatisation occurs over time leading to a gradual increase in set temperatures. Luckily the Evohome system can cope with all that and a has a solution for most scenarios - I think I'll now go and disable local overrides :0

Automated Home Legend

It's certainly the case that we are more sensitive to changes in temperature than the absolute temperature, at least within a certain range of temperatures and depending on clothing.

For example a steady 20 degrees can feel just as comfortable as a steady 21, but if the temperature is increasing from 20 to 21 we will feel "hot" while if it is dropping (relatively quickly) from 21 to 20 we will feel "cold" even though we are passing the same half way point in between them. This is because we acclimatise to the conditions through means such as blood vessels near the skin constricting in cold temperatures etc.

The classic example is in winter where the house might be a comfy 20/21 degrees and to a person that has been indoors all day this feels spot on, but someone who has just come in from the freezing cold will inevitably complain about how its far too hot in the house and want to turn the heating down, open windows etc much to the chagrin and annoyance of those already in the house.

It takes the body time to acclimatise to a large change in temperature like that and during that period of time you will feel too hot but that will pass once you have adapted, and you just have to trust that your previously determined comfortable temperature will indeed be comfortable today like it was yesterday once your body has adapted.

The best way to get comfort in a room that a lot of time is spent in like a living room is to find a temperature that is still comfortable after you've sat in it for a long time, and just leave the temperature alone. As long as you have something like the Evohome that is capable of maintaining a very steady oscillation free temperature you will feel comfortable all night long. If you have a system that allows wide swings in temperature as unfortunately a lot of conventional (especially non-TPI) controls do, you will be forever feeling too hot on the upwards swing and too cold on the downwards swing of each temperature cycle, and probably end up manually fiddling with the controls several times a night...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 9th November 2016 at 05:50 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Nope haven't had that - the knobs are pretty slippery so don't seem to be accidentally turned.

I dread the day when our little one is old enough to be ramming toy trucks into the side of the radiator valves - I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to that, at least with the screen extended! (And no doubt I'll have to lock the local overrides on them all as well so that only grownups can adjust the temperature )
    We're at this stage and have all the local overrides disabled. They're never touched by our 2 (aged 1 and 3), but I can guarantee that the first time they were and we said not to, they would be used incessantly!

The HR92s do seem to be pretty resilient. One of the favourite play areas for toy cars has been on the top of the play room radiator (mainly in the summer with the radiator cold) and there have been numerous drops off the end. So far, all is okay!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

I know we probably all scoff and laugh at people that don't get it, but it IS a problem. And I echo the comments further up the thread about how she'd cope if I wasn't around for any length of time.
    This is a major concern for me, especially with IFTTT triggering quick actions. Very shortly I'll be away for long periods of time without any contact. British Gas came to do our annual boiler service (safety check) a couple of weeks ago and the technician actually told me that the Evohome system wasn't covered in the breakdown cover. I've been over and over the terms and conditions but can't find anything that would agree with this. Even if it were, I doubt that anyone who came to fix it while I'm not there would have a clue where to start. I think a lesson on how to override the whole system until I return is the only solution.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by guyank View Post
    This is a major concern for me, especially with IFTTT triggering quick actions. Very shortly I'll be away for long periods of time without any contact. British Gas came to do our annual boiler service (safety check) a couple of weeks ago and the technician actually told me that the Evohome system wasn't covered in the breakdown cover. I've been over and over the terms and conditions but can't find anything that would agree with this. Even if it were, I doubt that anyone who came to fix it while I'm not there would have a clue where to start. I think a lesson on how to override the whole system until I return is the only solution.
    To get system cover with a local independent gas safe engineer, who also works for D and G, I came to a compromise. The engineer will respond to all faults but if Evohome is found to be at fault, I will cover the cost of replacement Evohome parts. That said, he has never installed Evohome so I am looking for alternative cover. The problem is that Evohome is just too expensive to include under a normal breakdown premium.

Automated Home Guru

Same issue here with my better half not understanding Evohome even though I installed it at least four years ago. And, just to prove the point, she asked me this morning if the radiator was on in the toilet!